[WIP]Rover RollKage

Yup, made drop pod and couple of rovers. No pics, 'coz apparently i'm too lazy to learn how to post them on interwebs. Success was...moderate. Drop pod placed on top of the rocket made it behave like a rover - flying was almost impossible. I got to about 11 km and separated, after that it was leisure floating down on a parachute. Rovers behaved better, but i'm still fiddling with wheel placement. Too high, and they flip on any bump. Too low, and wheels sink in the ground and refuse to move. More testing is needed. I'm thinking maybe adding some cubic protrusions on the front and rear could make placing wheels easier?

Kris

I only partially understand cfgs, so thats a big help. I did think about making this part a pod, but I decided that adding a dashboard part as a pod might be interesting.

I'll test this out, it should be good till I get a dashboard model done.

Thanks Kris:D

Don't make it a pod, cuz no one actually sits in it, it's clearly a structural piece...

Countrykris, Breaking force and torque have nothing to do with wheels they are related to structural damage, like if you crash.

I have to say, I have been looking for a long time for a good structural base for rovers, this isn't quite there yet due to the wheels not fitting right, but it is certainly the best thing I have found, and I can tell you are fixing it.

So thank you thank you soo soo much. .

Ass I said i'm not a modder just like to tweak things for my own use. All so just trying to help. I understand it is a structural piece, but his main idea was to reduce part count, witch I would to like to do. By making it a pod that's one more less part needed.

Don't make it a pod, cuz no one actually sits in it, that would be silly, it's clearly a structural piece... it works just like any other structural piece that you use seats with.

Countrykris, Breaking force and torque have nothing to do with wheels they are related to structural damage, like if you crash.

I have to say, I have been looking for a long time for a good structural base for rovers, this isn't quite there yet due to the wheels not fitting right, but it is certainly the best thing I have found, and I can tell you are fixing it.

So thank you thank you soo soo much.

Actually, it would make sense as an unmanned pod. There is often a need to make a rover capable of unmanned motion, anyway.

Structural works fine too, though, but unmanned pod would save a part. :)

P.S. Also, please don't duplicate models between parts. :) With GameData's part config loading, you can have the same model file and different textures for every part and save memory. If everyone does it, everyone will be happier in the end. :)

Edited by Mihara

This is a very very useful part.

The only thing I would suggest is making it just a little bit wider so the Kerbals giant heads don't merge, but it is not a big deal.

Maybe a second longer version that has room for a second set of back seats? I was also thinking white might be a better color choice over gray.

The first Moon buggy was white.

I paid extra for the solar powered floor mats.

5h0oixP.png

Kerbal head space is always at a premium.

eufQ6UQ.jpg

Mun Machines: size does matter. :)

e4qipDu.jpg

For the record: there is a very good reason why we don't have three wheeled vehicles like this on the road.

Try building one and find out why.

Kc721Ke.png

Edited by Tommygun

Actually, it would make sense as an unmanned pod. There is often a need to make a rover capable of unmanned motion, anyway.

Structural works fine too, though, but unmanned pod would save a part. :)

P.S. Also, please don't duplicate models between parts. :) With GameData's part config loading, you can have the same model file and different textures for every part and save memory. If everyone does it, everyone will be happier in the end. :)

Mihara, I did not know that was possible. Would you know how I go about doing this? Thank you! I agree, it would be better with one model + multiple textures. I made it like this only to give options to people who do not know how to change the png files. Your method is much better.

@Tommygun

Absolutely brilliant. There will be a white version, great idea. That 3 wheeler looks wild! It is possible to move the seats out so that there is only a small clip, but it looks silly. Yes, 2 man needs to be wider.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mihara, I did not know that was possible. Would you know how I go about doing this? Thank you! I agree, it would be better with one model + multiple textures. I made it like this only to give options to people who do not know how to change the png files. Your method is much better.

I started writing up what I know but then noticed that there's a sticky post up top in this forum which even contains things I didn't know. :) All the syntax and installation method changes have been made to support these neat memory-saving features.

You inspired me to become a 3d Modeller :D I'm already at my 3rd part!

Well, that has to be a good thing! I'm only at the start of this journey too. This forum is full of excellent models. Lots of really talented people making lots of fun objects. Be sure to show off your creations!!!!!

Good Luck!

Quick update before bed. I have a chassis ready that will fit inside a rollcage. The rollcage will be re-made, but here is a mock up of whats in my head. The rollcage has been rescaled slightly larger. (1.8 now, was 1.5). Any thoughts or concerns I'd be grateful to hear from you. This will be a 2 man version, there will be a 1 man version also. (and a 4 hopefully!)

Kind Regards

Angus

cAqoZ6I.jpg

EDIT:you know its bedtime when you click on a screenshot and try to rotate it!

Edited by angusmcbeth

EDIT:you know its bedtime when you click on a screenshot and try to rotate it!

Must alway be my bedtime.

I do it constantly now while watching YouTube videos of KSP.

-The changes look good on the new rover.

I haven't actually had a chance to really play since page one of this thread, so I just got around to doing anything with the batch of these I downloaded then, but it worked out great

vZNeOml.jpg

s56Dvmb.jpg

XKlYVB3.jpg

Everything not stock is B9 except the three barely visible hexcans powering the cart behind Jeb

I made one modification to the cfgs, adding attachment nodes positioned roughly inside the tubes on either side, at the bottom, lined up with the regular bottom node. I used them to attach the two B9 triangle panels that act as vague doors. When I remember to deactivate steering on the rear wheels it's stable as all hell, I even flipped it lengthwise once and didn't break anything. Only once.

Other than perhaps the tubes having too many sides for how small they are and that messing with placing things onto them, I haven't had any problem with the collider; as long as I put something on the roof so it doesn't pretend to be a convertable.

Attachable door parts matched to the opening would be really cool; especially if they were animated to open in some way. It'd also be helpful to have a windshield for Jeb to epically fly through when he crashes, or maybe not fly through when he crashes.

Edited by Greys

I do it constantly now while watching YouTube videos of KSP.

-The changes look good on the new rover.

I also try to use ATM machines like the touchscreen on an smartphone

Thank you all for the replys and encouragement.

@ Greys

Thank you for posting those pictures. I spend a long time looking at these, it helps me a great deal. We all build stuff differently and I'm trying to avoid making something that could only be used in one rigid way.

Again, thank you all. I hope to update soon!

Best Regards

Angus

I also try to use ATM machines like the touchscreen on an smartphone

Lol, my problem is that after using my Surface, I try to use the monitor of my computer at work as a touchscreen... I'm gonna end up damaging the LCD on it, I'm sure