Connecting Girders to two Mounting Points

I've been playing with the idea of a big girder box with docking ports as an orbital bus stop but whenever I try to connect the final 6-way component into the corner of the box, it will connect to one mounting point but not the second. Am I clipping which is stopping KSP from connecting the mounting points together or is this a limitation of KSP which prevents parts from simultaneously connecting to multiple places? I'll post a picture if it would help when I get home from work.

Edited by Jonathonm
Spelling mistake

It would be nice if we could have parts attach to multiple points at a time rather than having to use lots of space duct tape to mludge it all together. I would like to see a rocket holding orange tanks with two radial separators holding it on.

I have done something similar in the past. Docking ports are the key here. Have 1 (or 2) sections attached bu docking ports, then once in orbit just reattach the part to make it a perfect box (I actually had a large station that was 4 sections joined together, but the concept is the same)

Yes, this is related to the "tree" data structure used in KSP for building rockets. Each part can have multiple parts attached to it (Children or branches), but it can ever only have one parent (Don't ask how Nodes reproduce, just don't) So when you're trying to build a box or something you can start on one side, attaching child after child all the way around, but you can't have the last great great great grandchild part become it's own great great great great grandparent.

I'm crossing fingers that it will change one day...making all the multi-node hubs far more utilitarian. In the mean time....moar struts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.