So I tried landing on Jool...

Stealth2668

I remember fun times. I tried to send the promethus rover to laythe in 0.17. As I approached Jool the worst way ever, I realised there was no hope, and decided for a Jool landing. It bounced, exploded, until only the wheels remained. The wheels survived, actually. But they were bouncing like heck.

I remember fun times. I tried to send the promethus rover to laythe in 0.17. As I approached Jool the worst way ever, I realised there was no hope, and decided for a Jool landing. It bounced, exploded, until only the wheels remained. The wheels survived, actually. But they were bouncing like heck.

Remember I made an transfer stage for landing six small probe rovers on Mun. however the decoplers was the wrong way so I put the transfeer stage on impact path decopled the rovers and circulated. Then followed them down, as the angle of impact was very shallow one rover wheel was thrown back in an balistic path and crashed on the other side of the Mun.

Made it! The anchor didn't work by itself, but two grappling hooks working with the anchor did the trick. I also edited the KAS cable, and set it to 200m so I could hover 50m over Jool's surface without touching that 100m Kraken lair that lurks just below's Jool's surface. Here we see Ademone Kerman relaxing on one of the deck chairs aboard the luxurious Zephyr Jool airbase.

Lao2cJE.png

EDIT: Does that mean I'm one of the first to be able to use this? :D

8uYBY4E.png

EDIT 2: I can also confirm that switching to and from the craft brings up mach effects when you go back to it, but nothing bad happens to it.

Edited by Sapphire

I was messing around one day and decided to drop a kerbal out onto jool from a decaying orbit and after a very long entry he actually landed on jool... sort of... i didnt have any kraken attacks but my camera was stuck looking down like he was underwater and he kept falling over randomly. (p.s. sorry didnt have any pics of it may try again with pics though =D)

Just replace jool with jupiter:

"So i tried landing on Jupiter but my ship emploded". Makes more sense, no?

Only if the reader understands Jupiter's characteristics as well. To those who haven't yet learned (or have been living under a rock), Jupiter is a really pretty (solid) planet with lots of interesting clouds.

Jupiter is a really pretty (solid) planet

Gotta argue with you there sorry, Jupiter may be solid if you go deep enough, but it's just solid due to pressure of the 'clouds', take away the atmo, and it's one big ball of gases.

Gotta argue with you there sorry, Jupiter may be solid if you go deep enough, but it's just solid due to pressure of the 'clouds', take away the atmo, and it's one big ball of gases.

No, you missed my point. That's what somebody who's only seen pictures of Jupiter, but doesn't (yet?) understand what it really is might think. ;P

Just replace jool with jupiter:

"So i tried landing on Jupiter but my ship emploded". Makes more sense, no?

I could also replace jool with Kraft dinner

"So I tried landing on Kraft dinner but my ship emploded" now it doesn't make sense. What's the point of your word game?

"So I tried landing on Kraft dinner but my ship emploded" now it doesn't make sense. What's the point of your word game?

*sigh*

He was only trying to point out that Jool is analogous to Jupiter in how ships react trying to land on it.

http://www.universetoday.com/22719/surface-of-jupiter/

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_Jupiter%27s_surface_like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter

The point of the word game is that Google is your friend.

I hope they update Jool. How cool would itd be to watch your craft fall through a thickening haze into oblivion. Dodging lightning and kraken knows what else. Speaking of lightning... Id be ecstatic to see lightning on the dark side of Jool.

I hope they update Jool. How cool would itd be to watch your craft fall through a thickening haze into oblivion. Dodging lightning and kraken knows what else. Speaking of lightning... Id be ecstatic to see lightning on the dark side of Jool.

I'd love to see northern lights too. Seeing how Saturn's auroras look, I bet Squad could make Jool have some cool ones.

7.jpg

I'd love to see northern lights too. Seeing how Saturn's auroras look, I bet Squad could make Jool have some cool ones.

That's not how Saturn's auroras look. That's a composite of a false color image of the aurora taken in ultraviolet light with a visible light image of Saturn. The visible color of the aurora might be red, but surely would be too faint to be seen in an image exposed to show the bright side of Saturn.

While the blue representation of the auroral display is dramatic and appropriate, transferring the ultraviolet data to the nearest visible color, it is a little misleading in that it does not represent what the human eye would see from a nearby spacecraft. If the ultraviolet is excited, then one can be fairly confident that the visible spectra would also be excited. It would then be expected that the hydrogen of the atmosphere would give off the bright n=3->2 red emission known astronomically as the H-alpha line.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Solar/sataur.html

No, the point of the word game was a douchy way to imply Jool = Jupiter. Because I should have 14 hours a day to play this game and know everything about it. Sorry but I have a life and was trying out my first mission.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.