Trouble docking

I've performed an in orbit dock once already as practice, and have rendezvous at least three times now with these sets of crafts. But, every time I get them line up, they refuse to mate, and I bounce off. So I have two questions:

Are there any parts that you can't put a docking clamp on and have it function? I have one part on a fuel tank, and one on the bottom of a fuselage. I feel this may be the problem, but I could be wrong.

Second, just how perfectly do you have to be aligned, and do you all have any tricks on getting perfectly aligned?

Edited by T3rran

If they bounce off, I think there is 3 options:

- You are really not align! consider something like a 5° cone max.

- your port are not on the facing the good way (possible with the senior port, less possible with the 2 others)

- You are going too fast (I think it would be that one), try 0.1 0.2m/s max

I don't think there is any part that avoid the clamp to work.

to be well align, I would use chase cam, kill my velocity when I am next to it, and work with rcs to align just one axis at a time.

Which ways are 'good ways'? Which side has to be facing outwards in order for it to properly connect?

The side that looks like a smooth grey cylinder should be facing the connection and hidden within a part. The side that looks like a painted ring should be facing outwards. Since parts can be rotated around, it is possible to attach it the wrong way. If this happens, the two ports cannot get close enough to dock, and only bounce.

But, you say this craft has docked successfully once before. So maybe this is not the problem. More likely, it is due to a protruding part from another part of the ship. Maybe two wings are bumping into each other, or the landing gear, etc. If so, it can dock successfully when rotated a certain way, but bounces if rotated another way. Move the camera around and this becomes obvious if it is happening.

Edited by Zephram Kerman

These two specifics did not dock together, a tutorial docking ship did, so I managed that. I don't think it's a part that's bumping it, since both parts are the highest elevation on both vessels.

So, the part that should be facing inward is the larger, dark ring? If so, then that solves my docking issue.

These two specifics did not dock together, a tutorial docking ship did, so I managed that. I don't think it's a part that's bumping it, since both parts are the highest elevation on both vessels.

So, the part that should be facing inward is the larger, dark ring? If so, then that solves my docking issue.

On the picture of the wiki, the part that face the top of the picture are the "dockable" parts, the parts that face the bottom are the attachment to the ship.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Parts#Docking

another way to know, it's to put the shielding docking port on a ship, open the port and you will see what part dock.

You also need to make sure the ports are the same size else they can't dock together

Large: Clamp-O-Tron Sr. Docking Port

Small: Clamp-o-tron Jr.

Medium: Clamp-o-tron Docking Port, Clamp-o-tron Shielded Docking Port, Hull-mounted Clamp-o-tron

...well, thanks guys! Turns out I had the clamp on backwards on the second ship. The way it attached was backwards, so next time I have access to kerbal world, I'll launch the two vessels again. Thanks for the help.

screenshot6_zps9c2398f8.png

For all interested, here is the parts that needed connecting. They are t he first for my space station: SS-1. The parts connected as they should. Meet my first space station.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.