[0.25] PartCatalog 3.0 RC8 (2014-10-08)

BlackNecro

Very nice mod :)

However, it fails pretty hard in Linux systems because their filesystem is case sensitive. The plugin loads its icons from the path "PluginData/PartCatalog" but in the zip file is "PluginData/partcatalog" so fails to load icons and hangs pretty badly. Renaming it fixed it.

Still not fixed.

I am currently playing arround with PartCatalog, and I must say I really love it. Definatly a "MUST HAVE" for KSP.

Thanks!!!

While playing arround and reorganizing my categories/tags I also tried new icons for the subcategories/tags, and I am not sure if it is a "bug or a feature" ;) but the icons do only show up in the "On"-state. The Off-state only works for the Company-Filter buttons.

I would also love to see to have an option to change the margin.top. Cause when setting the Button width & height to a larger value then the default 37*26px inside config.xml I may need to readjust the margin.top to another value then the default 6px, in order to align with the text button.

Toerti

P.S.: Here is a small preview on the icons I am working on:

Pots_Manned_On.pngPots_Unmanned_On.pngPots_Seats_On.png

Pots_Manned_Off.pngPots_Unmanned_Off.pngPots_Seats_Off.png

These are icons for the category Pots>Manned, Pots>Unmanned, Pots>Seats

Edited by toerti

Due to this one always popping up after I load a different ship from my ship file I am going to uninstall it. I can't risk clicking on the close button and always grabbing a part of the ship. Especially if I am using one of the CORE Anvil series ships.

Still not fixed.

Fixed in next release, I actually used a lowercase path in my sources but KSP decides to use the camelcase capitalization for loading stuff from the plugindata folder. ****ing case sensitive filesystems.

Due to this one always popping up after I load a different ship from my ship file I am going to uninstall it. I can't risk clicking on the close button and always grabbing a part of the ship. Especially if I am using one of the CORE Anvil series ships.
How can i stop options menu asking me when place toolbar rom appearing every single time i open VAB?

Could you guys give me some info on your operating system, as well as a copy of your output_log (in KSP/KSP_Data) as well as your partcatalog config.

Well... this mod gives at least a chance to filter. But doesn't help very much - at least not me.

First:

- Searching for parts of a mod without an icon => you have to search to numeric registers, which is VERY user unfriendly. Registers with names are mandatory. At least as an option.

- My workflow is based on examining all parts of a specific type not a specific mod. So I need (sub)register for "fuel tanks", "engines", "wheels", etc. Most of them are existent in the register "All", but engines are mixed up with fuel tanks. And well... there are lot of tanks and engines in the game. But I'm usually not interested in engines when I'm adding tanks...

- Select All->Propulsion->Xenon Gas only shows ion engines. So where are the tanks? Again: two subregisters for tanks/engines.

- As someone else mentioned: A text search function would be nice.

Fixed in next release, I actually used a lowercase path in my sources but KSP decides to use the camelcase capitalization for loading stuff from the plugindata folder. ****ing case sensitive filesystems.

Well, never use lowercase paths/filenames in a plattform independent language/environment. Repeat: never ever! ;) ****ing case insensitive filesystems that encourages programmers to do such questionable things...

Edited by Nereid

- Searching for parts of a mod without an icon => you have to search to numeric registers, which is VERY user unfriendly. Registers with names are mandatory. At least as an option.

Here I had to choose between screenspace usage and first glance visibility. I originally had some ideas regarding that which I might dig out once again, thanks for reminding me of that. (Icon generation using tag initials)

- My workflow is based on examining all parts of a specific type not a specific mod. So I need (sub)register for "fuel tanks", "engines", "wheels", etc. Most of them are existent in the register "All", but engines are mixed up with fuel tanks. And well... there are lot of tanks and engines in the game. But I'm usually not interested in engines when I'm adding tanks...

- Select All->Propulsion->Xenon Gas only shows ion engines. So where are the tanks? Again: two subregisters for tanks/engines.

Wait so at first you say it's that engines and tanks are mixed (which is not the case), then you say you are looking for the tanks when you have the seperate engine tag open. You lost me here.

- As someone else mentioned: A text search function would be nice.

Yea is actually on the todo list, just have to flesh out the concept regarding internal structure etc a bit.

Well, never use lowercase paths/filenames in a plattform independent language/environment. Repeat: never ever! ;) ****ing case insensitive filesystems that encourages programmers to do such questionable things...

Using a path lowercase name in the sources, then using a lowercase folder to match it and then KSP deciding to use a non lowercase one - pure fun

Edited by BlackNecro

Here I had to choose between screenspace usage and first glance visibility. I originally had some ideas regarding that which I might dig out once again, thanks for reminding me of that. (Icon generation using tag initials)

Now we depend on icons. Better solution: Use first two letters and expand on mouse hover.

Wait so at first you say it's that engines and tanks are mixed (which is not the case), then you say you are looking for the tanks when you have the seperate engine tag open. You lost me here.

First: Select All->Propulsion-> Liquid Fuel shows tanks end engines. So they ARE mixed up.

Second: Select All->Propulsion->Xenon Gas shows only engines, which is inconsistent. So I have to ask: Where are the tanks?

Third: there is no subregister for engines. At least not for me.

I have lost you here? Well...

PS: checked it again. Liquid fuels shows only some tanks (unfortunately all on the first page with some tanks with tine engines). So it looks as it shows engines and tanks. I have to inspect, if all of them contains engines too (at least some do).

The problem here is the naming of the register tabs. "Propulsion" is a used word in the game and means engines AND tanks. So if an user sees some tanks there he would expect to see all tanks in this tab. You have another tab labeled "Storage" which contains fuels tanks. I have overlooked this, because of the awkward names. A better name would be "Engines" instead of "Propulsion" as default. My customers would surely call this a bug (typically classed as important bug because customers know only critical and important bugs ;)). Well, sometimes I tend to adapt their way of thinking to be prepared. :D

So, let's call this a misunderstanding. I would suggest to change the name in further releases. Well, and yes the uses of "propulsion" for tanks and engines is some kind of awkward, but that's the way it is in the game.

Using a path lowercase name in the sources, then using a lowercase folder to match it and then KSP deciding to use a non lowercase one - pure fun

Now you have lost me. What has this to do with casesensitive filesystems? Well, nothing I would say...

Edited by Nereid

Now we depend on icons. Better solution: Use first two letters and expand on mouse hover.

Yep pretty much what I was aiming for.

Maybe checking camel case names in mods and generating tag icons from there (that is have a blank tag icon and the initials drawn ontop or something).

First: Select All->Propulsion-> Liquid Fuel shows tanks end engines. So they ARE mixed up.

Second: Select All->Propulsion->Xenon Gas shows only engines, which is inconsistent. So I have to ask: Where are the tanks?

Third: there is no subregister for engines. At least not for me.

Well I'm not sure what kind of mods you are using (if they are having additional fuel tanks in the engine itself they'll be listed in the storage tag aswell), but the intention of the propulsion tag is to list the actual engines and the storage tag lists all parts storing resources.

http://puu.sh/5ZGd9.jpg

Edited by BlackNecro

Could you guys give me some info on your operating system, as well as a copy of your output_log (in KSP/KSP_Data) as well as your partcatalog config.

Thanks for the reply there. I had to uninstall the partcatalog addon as it was getting redundant to continually tell it where I wanted it to go and it was still constantly popping up every time I loaded up a ship out of my saved file.

I am using Win 7 64bit OS and here is the link to my dropbox with my latest KSP data log.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7vgqsfn2eu65b29/KSP.log

Thanks for the reply there. I had to uninstall the partcatalog addon as it was getting redundant to continually tell it where I wanted it to go and it was still constantly popping up every time I loaded up a ship out of my saved file.

I am using Win 7 64bit OS and here is the link to my dropbox with my latest KSP data log.

Well that log wasn't exactly helpful but that was my fault for being unclear:

Do a clean install of the catalog (remove old partcatalog folder first) , launch the game, enter VAB, do the settings, open the catalog settings and close them again, leave VAB, reenter VAB and if it then still asks for layout settings shut down KSP and then send me the log.

Version 2.4 with a few bugfixes released, before the new, slightly feature enriched, version 2.5 will strike at some point the next days.

Edited by BlackNecro

Same problem here, i have a Mac.

Version 2.4 is working good and saves fine. One suggestion when you release 2.5, put in these icons that users made.

redde:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/slmb897dg7w0xtc/partcatalog_redde_icons.zip

- Stretchy Tanks

- RealChutes (or other chutes parts)

- Kerbal Engineer

- RemoteTech (or other Antenna parts)

- Procedural Wings (or other wings parts)

- FusTek parts

- AIES Aerospace Parts

- Nova Punch parts

- Procedural Fairings (or other fairing parts)

diomedea:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmxto8k6t4pgk02/PartCatalog%20Kethane.zip

- Kethane

WIndows 7.

Here is my output log

http://speedy.sh/wZATm/output-log.txt

Here is partcatalogue config (its this file, isnt it?)

http://speedy.sh/GkCzH/catalog.txt

Maybe you need list of my installed mods?

By the way, will you fix this "transparency" of gui window? When i click on engineer redux window (for example) in vab, rocket parts under are not clicked along.

Well it sound like all i do is complaining. Man, i just cant live without your plugin, and i wanted for you to know it :)

Here's a new small preview on the icon set I am working on for the subcategories.

As you can see, there's is still alot of work to do:

• Some categories are empty
  • or missing
  • I am also not yet happy with the jet-engine icon

Any feedback and/or ideas are welcome.

Toerti

thumb_KSP_Part_Catalog_Icons_Overview.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Edited by toerti

WIndows 7.

Here is my output log

http://speedy.sh/wZATm/output-log.txt

Here is partcatalogue config (its this file, isnt it?)

http://speedy.sh/GkCzH/catalog.txt

Maybe you need list of my installed mods?

By the way, will you fix this "transparency" of gui window? When i click on engineer redux window (for example) in vab, rocket parts under are not clicked along.

Well it sound like all i do is complaining. Man, i just cant live without your plugin, and i wanted for you to know it :)

Have you tried 2.4? That should actually fix that saving problem.

I'd love to fix the problem regarding gui windows not catching the mouseclick and passing it through to the actual editor but for now I don't have a clue how :/

Here's a new small preview on the icon set I am working on for the subcategories.

As you can see, there's is still alot of work to do:

• Some categories are empty
  • or missing
  • I am also not yet happy with the jet-engine icon

Any feedback and/or ideas are welcome.

Toerti

http://www.toerti.de/kerbal/thumb_KSP_Part_Catalog_Icons_Overview.jpg

(click to enlarge)

These are lovely :D

I'll have a look on how well I can get those categories in there. (I'm working on a parser for writing arbitrary category markups that can categorize your stuff dynamically and the like)

There seems to be a problem when I add a new mod pack after Part Catalog has already been installed, I don't get Icon for those parts. Like if I add KW pack, the KW icon or option to select those parts don't appear. To make it work I usually have to go into plugin folder and delete config and catalog.txt files and restart game.

These are lovely :D

I'll have a look on how well I can get those categories in there. (I'm working on a parser for writing arbitrary category markups that can categorize your stuff dynamically and the like)

If you want you can use them in a next update as default category icons that come with PartCatalog.

Toerti

So I got the first big feature for 2.5 down.

That is a dynamic rule set for autotagging your parts, support for other mods which don't sort perfectly as of now can be added easily using some text files.

Incase someone wants to volunteer for some testing I'm in dire need for fresh testers.

What was changed in the 2.4.1 version?

Version 2.4.1? I know of no such version.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.