[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

Firenexus13: the Hooligan Labs pad is very light, fairly compact, and pretty easy to get into kerbin orbit, and thus pretty much anywhere else. Then ship sufficient rocket parts from Kerbin to your pad to build a miner/smelter/workshop on-site. Bootstrap your base :) (I did that in 0.20.2, but I used Orbital Construction to build my miner and pad in Minmus orbit).

Well, this is disappointing... it doesn't appear as though the auger is working. Is there some secret incantation I'm missing to get it to function?

A verbose explanation would be nice. Maybe once I get something working, I'll document how to use this thing.

OK, re: attaching fuel lines to a launchpad:

I did a lot of ground experimentation, and it doesn't seem there's a way to do it for resources to transfer properly. I ended up putting the HL pad on top of the flat rockomax fuel tank, which when supported by 6 SQUID legs should be plenty stable for Minmus gravity :)

EDIT: is there a way to check whether the auger is working correctly (I grabbed the patch a few pages back) without actually getting to somewhere with ore?

(Alternately, can you spawn ore with the debug console?) Flying this rig out and then having it not work would be unfun.

Edited by Zeroignite

How do i get the Auger to mine ore (it's selected to be on and the mining rig i built has power but it's not mining still?

There is a fixed version you need to download from post comment #711 a few pages back in this thread.

kodemunkey: get the patched auger from post #711, and make sure the bottom edge of the blade (not just the very tip) penetrates the ground. Kethane changed the way it tests the drill hitting the ground.

I can't seem to get the build menu to appear, I've tried only installing Kethane and this mod (with the fixed auger). I have plenty of power and control, as well as some rocket parts (from the 5 ore inherent in the smelter). Any suggestions?

I can't seem to get the build menu to appear, I've tried only installing Kethane and this mod (with the fixed auger). I have plenty of power and control, as well as some rocket parts (from the 5 ore inherent in the smelter). Any suggestions?

Did you replace the .dll with the 0.21 version?

Ive been about to ask the same question...reading awareness = win *goes away downloading a.dll file*

I am not sure if I installed it in the correct order. Just to clarify for me= first kethane pack or first this mod?

So.. I installed EPL including the augerfix from #711... Still, how do I use this stuff? Which parts are needed? Do I need to find ore specifically, or do Kethane-spots suffice? If so, how would I find ore? And how to assembly all the pieces? Do they need to be build to the launchpad?

Does the mod work with the new grid overlay kethane mapping system?

Yes.

So.. I installed EPL including the augerfix from #711... Still, how do I use this stuff? Which parts are needed? Do I need to find ore specifically, or do Kethane-spots suffice? If so, how would I find ore? And how to assembly all the pieces? Do they need to be build to the launchpad?

Ore is a separate resource from Kethane. To find ore, you need to click the arrow on the Kethane resource window so it shows the ore resource instead. Currently the launchpad has an ore detector module built-in, so you don't need a separate part to detect it. You will need an augur to mine ore, a smelter to turn it into metal, a rocket workshop to build that into rocketparts, and a launchpad to launch your ship from. You will also need storage for these resources if they aren't all on the same vessel. You will probably also want fuel tanks connected to your launchpad with fuel lines; otherwise you will have to spawn your ships with empty tanks.

To the three above:

Edit: Well nevermind me then. Disclaimer still applies! >_>

Disclaimer: My knowledge is up to date as of KSP .20, so changes in the newest version are not accounted for in this explanation. Boberts314 LLC takes no responsibility for bodily injury resulting from following this advice.

Edited by boberts314

thanks skycooler, more questions incoming :D

1) Does the Kethane-scanner work, too? So if I send a survey-sat to a new planet (until ISA Mapsat works again, only Kethane-Scanners would be on board :D), would it find both resources and I could switch the hex-display-thingy from Kethane to Ore? Or does only the launchpad scan for ore?

2) Is there a way to "cheat" some ore deposits (like you can cheat Kethane with the Kethane Debugger)? That would be very helpful for setting up some tests at KSC to figure out how all this stuff really works first hand.

3) In what direction would the fuel lines have to go? Tanks -> Launch Pad, I guess?

4) Would the KAS also work instead of fuel lines? If so, anything I should know about (placement, winches, docking ports?)

Cheers, cy