Kethane Usage and Proper Fuel Routing

DMagic

I see, so it's definitely a KAS issue then.

Did you ever test fuel flow with an engine firing? It would be interesting to see if that worked, as there are some cases where an engine can pull fuel, but a kethane converter can't push it back the other way.

Yes I installed an engine on the end of a winch, extended it then activated it. It worked. I then tried doing the reverse.

I attached the Fuel tank to the winch and the engine on the command pod. When I launched the craft the engine worked, but if I extended the winch it stopped crossfeeding fuel. The engine can pull fuel across the cable but not if the tank is also on a cable. using this reasoning and treating the converter like an engine you would assume it should work the same way, but it doesnt :(

<Flies in>

You wanted a one-click solution for your kethane woes? Here's one I just tested. The only downside is you have to sacrifice a little delta-v on your tanker. I re-read the OP of this thread and got to thinking. It's true LFO doesn't behave like monopropellant.... but kethane does :).

1. Build a rocket/rover with a drill, a kethane tank and a KAS port. No need for anything else, no even a radial atachment point. In action groups assign "deploy drill" to 1. You could do "toggle" instead but it might get complicated later on if you want to plug in more than one tanker. Having a key for "everything on" is better.

2. Build a rocket/rover with an LFO tank, a converter and a winch (i still have mine on a radial attachment point for convenience). Nothing else is needed. Not even a kethane tank. In action groups assign "activate fuel convert" and "activate oxidizer convert" to 1. You can decide your own ways of switching things off.

3. Fly both craft to your destination

4. Connect your craft using KAS (in docked mode again I guess)

5. Press "1"

6. ?

7. Profit! The converter draws kethane from the tank on the other craft and fills it's own tank with precious LFO. No need for fuel lines!

Captain Kipard......AWAY!

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

This is exactly what I was doing on my stop by at minmus to refuel. Except it was 6 heavy converters attached to the docking port at the top of the tanker, with sepratrons mounted on them and all set to an action group that decouples the docking port at the same time for a quick getaway! The drill rig that's already landed on the deposit on minmus has 8 of the new drills on it, with 6 generators

This set up contains:

1: Kethane Tanker connected to:

2: an RCS tank on the Home admin lander

3: A DEMV fuel tanker

4: RCS tanker

The Kethane heavy converter unit works(extend side pods) and transfers mono propellant to the home tank via

KAS winch from Kethane tanker to Home lander RCS tank:) Works fine to the RCS tanker too:)

The heavy kethane unit will not make Liquid fuel or oxidiser and doesn't extend the pods which ever way it is connected to the fuel tanker via

the KAS winch system :(

6E84EF56F76678EE93CE93DFB5702BE2E28AEE9F

Edited by Azazael

Strange mono propellant works perfectly and fuel/Oxi doesn't ?

The DEMV fuel tanker (LFO) can transfer fuel from or to itself via KAS winch to any other unit.

Just KAS doesnt work with the Kethane heavy converter.

Edited by Azazael

Setup I'm using right now.

Drill Rig:

screenshot26_zps1b3582cc.png

Refining and Refueling Rig:

screenshot27_zpscfc762a4.png

The two docked together in operation:

screenshot28_zps3c106c60.png

To eliminate the fuel feed issue, I was planning on just integrating a converter unit into any of the craft that needed it. But I'm wondering if you built in crossfeed fuel lines going both directions if that would allow refined fuel to be transmitted correctly. Will have to play with this.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so, I have the steam version of KSP and its updated to 0.21.1. I downloaded the Kethane pack, unzipped it, and then put it into the plugins folder. It was fine, until I tried to launch. Then, I get the flight screen indicating 0 for everything and Kerbin has dissappeared. I then tried and put it in the Gamedata folder, but that didn't work either. Please help.

Also, if I try and get out of the flight, the revert flight button is inaccessable and once I get back to the spacecenter, I can't click on anything other than the quit button, and then I can't click anything on the main menu (the first menu that you get to in the game, not the resume, start game menu).

Are you sure you are getting everything in the right folder? The full path should look something like this:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Kethane\

With the Parts, Plugins, Resources, and Sounds folder inside of that.

And are you sure that you cleared out everything from the other plugins folder, the one you initially put kethane in?

Is the other problem something that's happened after you tried installing Kethane? That sounds like a more serious problem. You can ask on the main kethane forum if you think it's related to that, but it could be something wrong with the core KSP program.

If nothing else works you can try deleting the entire KSP folder (make backups of your saves folder) and let Steam reinstall the game. To do that, after deleting the folder, just right-click KSP in your Steam library, select Properties, click on the Local Files tab and select Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been using kethan for quite a long time. Decided to plop it into my new game but I am unable to get it to "work".

None of the parts load into the game, there is no Kethane parts available. I checked the university to see if I needed to purchase the parts, but they are not there either.

-All previous Kethane installs were removed (fresh KSP install)

-Kethan is dropped into Gamedata where it should be

-When the game starts up the image of kerbin in the distance has the Kethane hexagons on it. Signifying the pack is running.

Suggestions?

(Career mode)

Edit: During startup, the parts DO load.

Edited by douglasg14b

The Kethane parts have not been integrated into career mode. They might be at some point, but until then you will have to manually edit the .cfg files to use them in career mode. I'm not really sure how to do that, you'll have to ask somewhere else. But for now you can only use them in sandbox mode.

You can keep up with the development of Kethane here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/23979-Kethane-Pack-0-8-Art-pass-terrain-conforming-grid-and-miscellaneous-improvements

The Kethane parts have not been integrated into career mode. They might be at some point, but until then you will have to manually edit the .cfg files to use them in career mode. I'm not really sure how to do that, you'll have to ask somewhere else. But for now you can only use them in sandbox mode.

You can keep up with the development of Kethane here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/23979-Kethane-Pack-0-8-Art-pass-terrain-conforming-grid-and-miscellaneous-improvements

Thanks, I went ahead and edited my config file to change the game mode to sandbox (mode= 0).

(Note to anyone else doing this, you need to erase the "Progress" under the first scenario as well as the entire 2nd scenario area in the config.

• 2 months later...

This is my first time playing around with the kethane mod and I've had a problem.

when I load the game in either of the two game modes the mod is failing to display the "grid" over the planet, I am unable to scan as well. Has anyone had this problem yet?

Also i am using ksp 0.23 and got the mod from here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/23979-Kethane-Pack-0-8-2-(KSP-0-23)-Find-it-mine-it-burn-it!-New-download-mirror

This is my first time playing around with the kethane mod and I've had a problem.

when I load the game in either of the two game modes the mod is failing to display the "grid" over the planet, I am unable to scan as well. Has anyone had this problem yet?

Also i am using ksp 0.23 and got the mod from here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/23979-Kethane-Pack-0-8-2-(KSP-0-23)-Find-it-mine-it-burn-it!-New-download-mirror

Asking in the main Kethane thread you linked to is your best option.

I know that the 0.23 update has caused some issues with Kethane, but I'm not really sure about any specifics.

As always you can try redownloading the mod, completely delete the old Kethane folder, and install it again, preferably with no other mods installed.

If it works after that you can try adding other mods if you have them. Some other mods might cause issues though, it's hard to say without trying it out.

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.