Female Kerbal Possible Concept Art (they are supposedly androgynous but bear with me)

rodion_herrera

This is still one of those discussions I hate Squad for. I rather them just slap a female kerbal together and call it a day then to be lazy and say they have no gender. If that is the case how come they look male? This is why I consider guys to be jerks most of the time >.>, only think about themselves. It's all good cause there is a gender less male looking kerbal. Who cares about females. I swear game developers are so sexist when they make game characters. Only males will play this game so lets make male character and forget any possible female audience we have.

Anyway ... end of my rant.

The model doesn't fit the art style very well, but I could most certainly see where it's going and I have to agree, it looks like a really good base to start something with.

In the end if Squad doesn't do it, I will mod females into the game myself >.>

I always think it a shame that more female people don`t write games to stop this sort of thing from happening. Surely that is the direction to head in? If you truly want equality then women will have to make games with women as main characters and with storylines that appeal to the female gamer.

Equality is not about complaining that the men are not doing it for you, it is doing it for yourself and having the freedom to do so.

Design a female kerbal, make a mod to have them displayed, do it well, and then lobby to have it made an official part of the game. The same as many people do with other parts of the game, like KspX.

Do it for yourself. It`s the only way to true empowerment.

I personally don't likethe style, but as you said, it's not final. I think that if Squad was to make female Kerbals (which I would like), they'd probably end up "softening" the features of the current model. Someone on here did a really nice drawing of that.

comparisonm.jpg

This pic gets my vote :D

I always think it a shame that more female people don`t write games to stop this sort of thing from happening. Surely that is the direction to head in? If you truly want equality then women will have to make games with women as main characters and with storylines that appeal to the female gamer.

Equality is not about complaining that the men are not doing it for you, it is doing it for yourself and having the freedom to do so.

Design a female kerbal, make a mod to have them displayed, do it well, and then lobby to have it made an official part of the game. The same as many people do with other parts of the game, like KspX.

Well said.

Good luck in your effort, which I support Rodion.

I'm afraid Squad either doesn't get it or pretends that they don't. I just bought this up last week. And I did as you; asking people to understand that this was not about the Kerbal Universe. Really. At all.

It is about having something for female players to identify with. Anyone who thinks that isn't necessary is kidding themselves, because while YOUR role playing style may have nothing

at all to do with a "mini-me", mine most certainly does, which goes a long way in explaining why I NEVER play female avatars. I don't identify with them. I'd feel silly trying to act "female" but having no precise idea what that means exactly. :)

The thread was then closed by a Squad mod. The reason? It has been determined that Kebals are genderless!

*facepalm*

I happen to be in marketing professionally, just so you know.

Edited by Scrogdog

That would be very stupid...

But the responses I've been getting from them go straight to the topic and don't stray off to "I don't want female Kerbals in MY KSP." or "Squad said NO, so NO" kinds of responses? *chuckles* So I think my statement was warranted.

Honestly, if they decide to introduce "female" kerbals into the game, they should probably use the "male" kerbal model as a starting point. If I'm trying to draw a human of either gender, I don't start with a different species as my template.

I'm afraid Squad either doesn't get it or pretends that they don't. I just bought this up last week. And I did as you; asking people to understand that this was not about the Kerbal Universe. Really. At all.

It is about having something for female players to identify with. Anyone who thinks that isn't necessary is kidding themselves, because while YOUR role playing style may have nothings at all to do with a "mini-me", mine most certainly does, which goes a long way in explaining why I NEVER play female avatars. I don't identify with them. I'd feel silly trying to act "female" but having no precise idea what that means exactly. :)

The thread was then closed by a Squad mod. The reason? It has been determined that Kebals are genderless!

*facepalm*

Ditto and well said.

Honestly, if they decide to introduce "female" kerbals into the game, they should probably use the "male" kerbal model as a starting point. If I'm trying to draw a human of either gender, I don't start with a different species as my template.

Let's see now...hmm, short legs...check...short arms...check...stubby hands...check...stubby feet...check...

...I mean HOW different a "species" is it really, the images I posted? Is it just the horns, the big eyes, and the purple hair and the NON GREEN SKIN that threw you off?

It is about having something for female players to identify with. Anyone who thinks that isn't necessary is kidding themselves, because while YOUR role playing style may have nothings at all to do with a "mini-me", mine most certainly does, which goes a long way in explaining why I NEVER play female avatars. I don't identify with them. I'd feel silly trying to act "female" but having no precise idea what that means exactly. :)

*facepalm*

The thing is though you are not playing Kerbals themselves so they are NOT avatars and you wouldn't have to act according to their gender. Your argument isn basically invalid.

I personally don't likethe style, but as you said, it's not final. I think that if Squad was to make female Kerbals (which I would like), they'd probably end up "softening" the features of the current model. Someone on here did a really nice drawing of that.

comparisonm.jpg

This works. How about we blend the two and call them sexless? Can we do that?

No, when I design games, I don't only add female character, I look to add male characters as well. Why? Cause I am not sexist >.>.

It would be different if the main story was about a male character, or the main story about a female character. However, this game is a sandbox / simulation type of game. There is no reason at all not to include females.

It really isn't about men doing it for me, I can do it myself .. however this isn't my game. The best I can do is be vocal about it and hope the devs decide to change their mind.

Stawp with these pointless threads already!

Keep feminism out of this awesome community, this is a game oriented around around building and flying rockets, not the kerbals themselves.

EDIT: Actually the OP is pretty cool/funny, it's the posts that ensued that I'm complaining about.

Keep feminism out of this awesome community, this is a game oriented around around building and flying rockets, not the kerbals themselves.

Excuse me but my thread had a disclaimer. Please do not post if you don't wish to participate, thank you.

Exactly. No need for different Genders.

Excuse me but my thread had a disclaimer. Please do not post if you don't wish to participate, thank you.

You ninja'd my edit, I forgot to mention that it was some of the posts I was talking about, not the OP.

The thing is though you are not playing Kerbals themselves so they are NOT avatars and you wouldn't have to act according to their gender. Your argument isn basically invalid.

Really.

Please explain to me then my motivation for using the crew manifest mod to create kerbal characters named after myself and my siblings?

Could you please explain why some random anime child is a better "template" then the male kerbal model? To clarify, I don't care whether different looking Kerbals are implemented at all, but if they do surely it makes more sense use something of the same species as a starting point?

You know you could edit the title and first post for the purpose of clarity to not say "Female kerbin concept art" to stop people thinking that is what the thread is about if it is not instead of railling at the people who discuss on a public forum the subject of the title...

Just a suggestion.