[Showcase] Non Asparagus Launch Vehicles

Because they're cool and the look like rockets are supposed to. Aesthetics is a big part of my designs, which is why I tend to avoid the classic asparagus pancake.

I would consider 6 asparagus cores surrounding the main core "aesthetically pleasing".

Edited by Pipcard

I've also found that while Asparagus style rockets net me more delta-v, I've found Serial staged engines allow me to hug terminal velocity better and allow me to make a gravity turn earlier so I get more fuel savings that way. ex. My Falcon heavy style rocket can get 50 tons to LKO using about 4800 m/s delta v. My Angara 7 style rocket instead can get me the same payload in about 4400 m/s delta v.

I like to use parallel staging, where the outer boosters all feed the central core at the same time, over asparagus staging for most payloads. For some very large payloads, I just stick with asparagus so I don't get a big, laggy, rocket exploding on launch.

Some of my parallel-staged lifters:

yUlTal4.jpg

0CY6F2A.jpg

tdr60M4.jpg

rwKwWN7.jpg

While it is kind of asparagus, the launch vehicle for my "Joolius Xena" probe doesn't have that pancake look.

6ybc1BA.jpg

Maybe because the probe and its ejection burn stage are only 60t..

I nicknamed the launcher the Falcon Even Heavier, as it has the outer four boosters around the two, and no SRBs.

It becomes more traditional rocket like after staging.

XTKV6Hj.png

(You may noticed something was lost on they way up. Turns out we didn't need that fin.)

Though the shape of the probe on the end kinda takes away some of the realism. But I don't mind..

Edited by Tw1

Your decoupler placement is confusing me. You don't seem to have engines beneath the grey tanks. Care to explain your staging :)?

I do have engines under there, they are the skippers. Basically I set up five engines on the second stage and then put decouplers under those. The outer engines are held to the center stack with struts. The whole thing is surprisingly stable I might add and gets to orbit in under 4 minutes.

This thread made me realise I'm incredibly fond of clustered LVT30 lower stages with Skipper upper stages...

HKKYxtkl.png

uAnmNCrl.png

On the other hand, I also enjoy 1.5 stage drop-engine designs

q6tslfGl.jpg

(I actually forgot I had this picture)

EDIT: AmpsterMan, that is exactly how I did this.

Edited by Supernovy

I do have engines under there, they are the skippers.

Ah. Only used them as lower stage engines so far, so didn't recognise the fairing. Thought it was another grey tank.

Edit: thought I'd show an older one, not the most elegant, but it worked.

I think the lower stage was parallel staged, and the upper one asparagus. The whole launcher was made using the "If it goes up, we're doing alright" mindset.

tq5CcMR.jpg

This one ought to get a show too. It was mostly KSPX parts.

It was the most complex, yet successful one I've yet made.

9EDxpLz.png

JDZoZnp.png

It had drop tanks, and SRBs tucked away in funny places, such as in between fuel tanks. The adapter plate was essential for keeping the boosters level, which was a problem in most earlier versions..

This, and others, didn't fly that well in orbit.

IRScxsy.png

Edited by Tw1

Wow soo many non-asparagus launch vehicles, I was beginning to think I was the only guy around here that didn't use asparagus staging :P. Thank you OP for making this thread!

Ah. Only used them as lower stage engines so far, so didn't recognise the fairing. Thought it was another grey tank.

I've read here abouts people doing this but I have yet to find a place where I can use the skipper as a stage one engine.

Do you guys design your stages with any specific parameters? Ex like my mainsail powered first stages usually have 3000 m/s and my second stage has 1500-2000 m/s delta v

I aim to make it so I don't leave debris in orbit, so the last stage of the launcher runs out after about 4000 m/s. Apart from that, I like to keep things even, so I'm not wasting metal on engines that are only going to contribute a small amount.

If I need extra acceleration at first, that's what SRBs are for.

Almost all of my recent launches have used non-asparagus rockets, mainly because I drop all of the side boosters at once before starting the gravity turn so that they can be recovered at KSC. Well...if the game bothered to follow them. I think of them as recovered.

Great designs. I've been developing some Common Booster Core designs. My 3 and 5 booster rockest use cross-feed, but it's mostly to simulate a low-throttle in the central booster.

Does anyone have recommendations for photo hosting so I can show off my builds?

All of these designs look great! Seeing gorgeous rockets just makes me want to build more!

I use imagur. It's free, if you only want access to 225 of your photos.

As Tw1 says, Imgur is good. And although Imgur will only let you see your most recent 225 images in a free account, you can have many more pictures than that in the account, and people will be able to continue to access the older images that you posted links for.

As Tw1 says, Imgur is good. And although Imgur will only let you see your most recent 225 images in a free account, you can have many more pictures than that in the account, and people will be able to continue to access the older images that you posted links for.

I just use Fileize. Very easy. You can choose to make an account (where all of your pictures are available in list view) or just upload as a guest.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.