Switching Ships In Orbit = KABOOOM!

NeoMorph

EDIT EDIT: If you are experiencing this problem, just use the tracking station to switch your crafts as this eliminates the problem. I'm fairly certain this is a bug and as such will hopefully be repaired with the next update.

My ship on Eeloo explodes even if I load it from the tracking station.

i had my space station blow up like that, just switched to it to rotate it towards the incoming docking vehicle and boom... shame there was around 20 kerbals in that station :D I use vanilla ksp, no mods.

1) Not exploding, just disassembly.

THIS... when I switch to the ship I find that the parts are flying away from each other as if a gang of supermen had grapped all the pieces and thrown them in different directions. When I said Kaboom I thought that was what was happening but after further experiences I noticed a lack of explosions... just parts zooming off into the distance and SPINNING LIKE A TOP.

I wonder if the spinning is the key here. Spin fast enough and the ship would just fall apart. Maybe something is causing the ships to spin and separate into their component parts.

One reason for the spin can be clipping of parts - if that happens in an unlucky way, the game engine induces force on your ship from nowhere. This can actually rip ships apart without a big explosion. Struts touching a tank can be enought there.

Another reason I found: built too rigid - small rolls or maneuvers can induce stress to one piece that breaks, and then your ship falls apart.

ASAS or MJ with their constant adjustment of the position of the ship induce the stress, yes - but the explosions are often caused by something in the game engine the ship can't handle. Only way out in this case: build another ship, don't make it too rigid and try not to clip anything.

I ran into this too. Poor Jeb is floating in low orbit in a space station without RCS or docking ports now after i tried to dock a fuel module with it using the RCS tug. Low orbit is now a complete and total hellscape of broken dreams and shattered ceramics because i tried switching. I suppose i will just use the tracking station from now on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.