Planets and ScaledSpace.

Ah, I just got a translation of your Alcubierre drive. Ha, imagine that! Using them as a transportation device. Kerbals!

We use them to demolish planets in inconvenient locations. Pulverize would be a better term. Then we sweep up the bits and make new planets out of the rubble. Part of the cycle of life you see...

Demolishing planets with warp drives. Interesting. I shall try this in my backyard tonight.

Smart Kerbals! You raise an interesting question. How far out should things be? We find our clients always appreciate a bit of a challenge. Using only your charming stock part collection, it would be desirable that the farthest be only reachable by the most resourceful. Ah but where is that? I have no idea. Nor does anyone on my worthless staff. I sacked several today for an appalling job on a crater on Krag. But I digress....

Here is what your "MechJeb" plugin tells me about how far things are. These are readings from a small probe we have in roughly the same orbit as your world.

say1c7p.png

And if you want to click through to see it here is the so called crater. I swear I smelled blaster fuel on them, must have been drunk the sods....

http://i.imgur.com/9TtpJSg.jpg

Oh forgot to mention... mind wanders... what was it? Oh yes. Planet Aqua. Embarrassing really. Due to a mix up her ocean was installed before the atmosphere and they boiled off. Made a shocking mess. Heads rolled. The remains are being... repurposed.

And that shot of (the now elusive)Heart of Gold was before her crust was installed. Shocking!

Oh forgot to mention... mind wanders... what was it? Oh yes. Planet Aqua. Embarrassing really. Due to a mix up her ocean was installed before the atmosphere and they boiled off. Made a shocking mess. Heads rolled. The remains are being... repurposed.

And that shot of (the now elusive)Heart of Gold was before her crust was installed. Shocking!

Are you Mr. Adam's child?

Mr Adams? Do you mean Gomez? We are somewhat behind due to your radio waves being so bloody slow. No, no relation, wrong species in fact. Although I suppose I have always identified with Fester. But then who hasn't...

Mr Adams? Do you mean Gomez? We are somewhat behind due to your radio waves being so bloody slow. No, no relation, wrong species in fact. Although I suppose I have always identified with Fester. But then who hasn't...

You are my new favourite person on these forums.

Yes, yes, we are all kinds of friends now. Good, good. So, how about we talk a little commerce?

Sounds like you Kerbals are in the market for quite a variety of planets. So far on the menu for your particular universe we have the following:

-Minmus class. Your basic bargain planet. We can give you these in bulk discounts. Cheap enough to do your own asteroid belt! I am afraid the base model only comes in grey/greygreen (as you have noticed). But we do offer a custom paint job as an extra. See Joker for a more... shall we say.. extreme example.

-Gas Giants. High mass make these a pricey item. But a recent find has made gas cheap! 2 for one on sale now.

-Tylo class. Vacuum moon. This is what you really want to put your base on! Isn't it? We have very affordable models ready to orbit your star!

-Duna class. A real planet! Now you have arrived! Imagine custom terrain and a plush arid atmosphere to make aero braking and parachute descents a breeze. Named best in class by McPlanet.

-Lathe class. Above + Oceans. Coming soon! (Once we sop up the ocean from our last go).

Premium Extras:

Suns. Not as pricey as you might think!

-Single (any size!)

-Simple Binary (bargain at half the price!)

-Binary with Manilo center. (Mmmm)

Prices? If you have to ask you cannot afford.

Edited by Kragrathea

Ah, Mr. Kagrathean...Your offer is fascinating and quite broad, indeed. But one burning question remains unanswered so far: What about names? Are they customisable (negotiable?), or will we be forced to use off-the-shelf ones?

I...I think I'm in love... on another note, when this is released, could a guide be included with the source code for those of us who wish to make our own planets? and on yet another note, is it possible to have a, lets say, blue-white sun orbiting a typical sun, but in polar orbit?(or any planets/ suns having polar orbits?)

I...I think I'm in love... on another note, when this is released, could a guide be included with the source code for those of us who wish to make our own planets? and on yet another note, is it possible to have a, lets say, blue-white sun orbiting a typical sun, but in polar orbit?(or any planets/ suns having polar orbits?)

Polar orbits are definitely possible - Bogy is in one in the demo video.

Polar orbits are definitely possible - Bogy is in one in the demo video.

ah, good. thought I'd seen something close to polar, but wasn't sure. I'm guessing that having a blue-white sun(kinda like a white dwarf) would be as easy as changing it's texture? changing the light it emits would probably be a whole other story though...

What I want to know is how well the atmospheric light scattering effects (blue skies and red sunrises/sunsets) respond to having more than one star lighting them. Ideally the effect should be the sum of the effects of each one, but I imagine there is a good chance that KSP is not yet coded with multiple sources of sunlight in mind, so that only one star is selected for scattering effects and judging how bright to make the starfield (since it isn't done with HDR).

Edited by ZRM

My guess is that it would use the closest sun to you to generate any lighting effects, though seeing as(correct me if I'm wrong here) two suns just make things brighter, you could probably just increase the light level that is being emit by the sun and have the same effect.

My guess is that it would use the closest sun to you to generate any lighting effects, though seeing as(correct me if I'm wrong here) two suns just make things brighter, you could probably just increase the light level that is being emit by the sun and have the same effect.

That would only be approximately correct if the two stars are very close to each other in the sky. In the configuration shown in the video you could very easily have a planet being lit by stars on opposite sides of it. It would therefore have two distinct sets of sunrises and sunsets if lit correctly.

That would only be approximately correct if the two stars are very close to each other in the sky. In the configuration shown in the video you could very easily have a planet being lit by stars on opposite sides of it. It would therefore have two distinct sets of sunrises and sunsets if lit correctly.

Hmm, true. didn't think about that. Well, you porbably wouldn't be able to be looking at both sunrise and sunset at the same time anyway, so it shouldn't couse problems, right?

Hmm, true. didn't think about that. Well, you porbably wouldn't be able to be looking at both sunrise and sunset at the same time anyway, so it shouldn't couse problems, right?

That depends on how the game internally decides how to light things. If it only considers one particular star, for example (and this is quite likely, it may even be hardcoded), none of the others will have any effects.

That depends on how the game internally decides how to light things. If it only considers one particular star, for example (and this is quite likely, it may even be hardcoded), none of the others will have any effects.

damn, just noticed all my horrible spelling mistakes... them damned european keyboards XD

On topic though, It could just make the start closest to your sight be the active star, and have the other star acting as a static light source(like lights we put on our crafts, but massivley bigger.

This can get ugly. Imagine travelling on high warp towards such binary system. And when you are close *BAM* - you are being hit by a star that just swung around the barycenter. You may lose the velocity needed to reach your target, or be catapulted into interstellar space, or do close fly- to the star and your ship will melt. This is going to be a challenge :cool:

Another short tantalizing video by the Kragatheans in the barycenter thread: 514309

Of note is the showcasing of 1,000,000x and 10,000,000x time warp.

With those additional time warp modes, implementing an additional star system replicating the actual Solar System at full scale no longer seems such a far-fetched idea. All we need now are parts modified to the correct size and delta-V to make vessels that can explore the actual Solar System. There are already mods that teleport vessels to another location when you spawn them (I have forgotten the name of the one that makes boats spawn in the sea), so launching from the Kennedy Space Center should actually be possible. Then we can have a proper Apollo program, with everything else besides.