Planets and ScaledSpace.

I think I understand the PQS mods enough to be dangerous. So far I have just been working with PQSMOD_VertexPlanet as that seems the simplest.

That would be awesome. :) And that info certainly helps. I think I got the mesh but I haven't done anything with scaledmovement and maybe that is the problem. Or it could be drawing but faded out. I'll poke at more tonight.

So far I have a small rocky planetoid in a polar orbit around the Mun. I call her Bogy. And yes you can land on it. And even better, if you quit the game and reload your ship is still there on the surface and not a puff of smoke or drifting in empty space.

A moon of a moon....

I wouldn't mind seeing a object in a polar orbit in the kerbin system....it'd be awesome to try to get at it! ANd with this mod, I could add such a object!

Or a backwards one? Imagine the fireworks if we had a retrograde planet that had a nice atmosphere to aerobrake into...

Or a backwards one? Imagine the fireworks if we had a retrograde planet that had a nice atmosphere to aerobrake into...

be hard to make believable, planet wise, assuming it IS a full sized planet with a atmosphere and stuff... due to that whole "angular motion" thing when the solar system was forming. if it was orbiting in the opposite direction of the rest of the Kerbin systems planets, then odds are it was a capture....

be hard to make believable, planet wise, assuming it IS a full sized planet with a atmosphere and stuff... due to that whole "angular motion" thing when the solar system was forming. if it was orbiting in the opposite direction of the rest of the Kerbin systems planets, then odds are it was a capture....

Yup. Not unheardof for wandering planets to have atmospheres, though.

wouldn't they either be a reducing atmosphere or a sequestering atmosphere though?

They'd actually have a thicker atmosphere than they would in a solar orbit since there's no solar winds pushing said atmosphere off into space.

Now that atmosphere may not be truly stable after capture into a solar system. Especially if it's orbiting backwards. Depending on the orbital parameters it may have its atmosphere sheared off at periapse little by little, just like Mercury has in real life. OR it may end up playing orbital billiards far enough out that it avoids that entirely. Depends on the periapse.

I like it when someones development thread gets completely highjacked by two people arguing about hypothetical theories of atmosphere degradation in a fictional solar system.

its best when things get like that, it means people aren't idiots.

its worse when they get into discussing forum rules or stuff that has to do with "fanart" and other garbage...

its best when things get like that, it means people aren't idiots.

its worse when they get into discussing forum rules or stuff that has to do with "fanart" and other garbage...

I agree with this statement....

However....

I like it when someones development thread gets completely highjacked by two people arguing about hypothetical theories of atmosphere degradation in a fictional solar system.

THIS statement is just plain uncalled for; we're discussing something RELEVANT to the threads subject, as being able to add your own planet would also mean that you'd likely want the ability to add in atmospheres of all kinds. AND yes its a fictional game, genius, set with HARD sci-fi physics 'n' stuff; again, discussing how a planets atmosphere would behave in different orbits of all kind is RELEVANT.

Apologies to all for actually getting the topic off track there.... now back to mod discussion;

Would it be possible to add in a adjustable mass thing for the planet, so we could have a asteroid or planetoid with a reallllyyy high mass ( it has a lot of heavy metals in its composition, for example)?

Edited by Lazurkri

You should reread the post. No one was called an idiot. Quite the opposite in fact.

I found the hypothetical planet stuff interesting.

I immediately edited it so it reads something different....

And thank you!

So, saw this thread and my first thought: "Will this work with the Kethane plugin without modification?"

Can't wait to see what comes of this.

I haven't tried the Kethane plugin, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I have tried Mapsat and it works as expected on the rocky planets I have made.

How did you guys even manage to access this level of code using unity. I have looked around inside KSP.app but have found nothing that i can seem to use in any way?

He's said it's using a plugin.

Basically planets consist of various components attached to a GameObject (and it's children). I've only done basic experimentation but I suspect a PQS component creates the basic sphere and then the various PQSMod-derived components are used to sculpt the terrain. In this case he's using PQSMod_VertexPlanet, the same as Minmus, which seems to be a procedurally generated terrain (it has a seed property and no public Texture2D fields).

Then there's a load of extra components doing orbits, map representations, SoIs, gravity and so on.

If the planet is added to FlightGlobals.Bodies, it will work with Kethane. (If it works with ISA, it's very, very likely it will work with Kethane.)

How will custom resources work then? Does kethane ignore extra bodies defined in the .cfg if they aren't present?