[WIN/MAC/LINUX] KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool v1.6.9 [New MATLAB Version!]

OQQQvEI.png

Yellow is definitely better. Magenta is much improved now too, in my example on the left those other spacecraft orbits are Magenta and Pink. The Red and Orange are close... I can make the distinction knowing I sent you the color for orange but maybe others might find it looking reddish. try and see?

Also, lets do for Cyan what we did for Yellow - 0,210,255 should darken it a bit but still leave it distinguishable from Blue. Same with Green: 76,220,0

Honestly with these color changes the switch to black would be something you could take off your plate. My eyes still love looking at that new yellow

Edited by Gaiiden

Sweeeeet. Will these color settings take effect in the mission animator as well? Because that's the only place you can go to get multiple states rendered together

speaking of which, there is still a small issue with the user ship icon and other spacecraft icons not showing up in the mission animator when your viewing it at a certain elevation angle (the azimuth I think, going off memory here not home at the moment). Distance and range settings don't make a difference. I can get a MAT to you later today if you are unable to recreate

Sweeeeet. Will these color settings take effect in the mission animator as well? Because that's the only place you can go to get multiple states rendered together

Yes. The same code that renders the orbits in the main MA GUI also renders orbits in Animator, so it works the same.

speaking of which, there is still a small issue with the user ship icon and other spacecraft icons not showing up in the mission animator when your viewing it at a certain elevation angle (the azimuth I think, going off memory here not home at the moment). Distance and range settings don't make a difference. I can get a MAT to you later today if you are unable to recreate

Sure, I'll take a MAT. It may be a MATLAB bug, though, so there may not be much I can do except see if R2015b solves the issue.

In the meantime, here's KSP TOT v1.5.1 pre-release 1. This has all the color changes we've discussed and some of the other bug fixes, too. Feedback appreciated as always.

I think you may have mentioned it being a confirmed MATLAB issue in the past but I forget, so here's a MAT. Open the Mission Animator and apply the following settings:

Show Other S.C. - checked

Camera Type: Spacecraft Fixed

Scale Factor: 10

View Angle: 116.6

Az. Offset: -57

El. Offset: -28.96

Rng Offset: 1000km

Camera Source: cb

Camera Target: cb

Time: 49523893

Run it forward from there at 10000x and you'll see the green craft vanish in a second or two. Put the El. Offset to -37 or so and it should re-appear. It seems the Rng Offset will work to if you increase it, but that has the detrimental effect of also making everything smaller.

Also, take note of what happens to the lighting of the central body if you increase the Scale Factor past 21

And let's make the State Log more useful - right now I right-click events to pop a window up for their current state. Would much rather be able to keep the State Log open and have it auto-update with changes to the event queue, and let me see what event I'm currently looking at for the current time and jump (like the << >> buttons in the animator) between events to allow me to quickly compare two or get the status of multiple events without having to right-click show them individually.

Is it also possible in the Pop Out Orbit Display to show the pixel dimensions of the rendered output when viewing along any of the three default axis rotation views? When I create orbital visualizations for my followers I have to match the sizes of the views as close as possible because it looks better to size them the same as they are rendered then to resize them later to match in Paint.NET and lose some quality in the process. You can actually control the size of the plot very precisely to a per-pixel amount by resizing the window itself with drag handles, but it's a bit of a guessing game currently, which takes longer. I understand this data might not even be available to you, in which case oh well.

Awwws yea loving the new coloring options.

Old and busted:

hq4qAjum.png

New hotness:

pbyYnjem.png

Sucks I had to redo it, but worth it

Edited by Gaiiden

I think you may have mentioned it being a confirmed MATLAB issue in the past but I forget, so here's a MAT. Open the Mission Animator and apply the following settings:

Show Other S.C. - checked

Camera Type: Spacecraft Fixed

Scale Factor: 10

View Angle: 116.6

Az. Offset: -57

El. Offset: -28.96

Rng Offset: 1000km

Camera Source: cb

Camera Target: cb

Time: 49523893

Run it forward from there at 10000x and you'll see the green craft vanish in a second or two. Put the El. Offset to -37 or so and it should re-appear. It seems the Rng Offset will work to if you increase it, but that has the detrimental effect of also making everything smaller.

So I've determined that the problem is not solvable, sadly. The issue lies in the MATLAB graphics renderer. The "opengl" renderer, which is what MATLAB uses as of recently, does not want to render that other spacecraft when it passes behind that red orbit arc. The old renderer, "painters," does render the spacecraft, but it's also 10 slower so that's a no-go. This one isn't going to fix until MATLAB improves its algorithms for not rendering things.

Also, take note of what happens to the lighting of the central body if you increase the Scale Factor past 21

I didn't notice anything in R2015b, so maybe the issue is fixed in that version.

And let's make the State Log more useful - right now I right-click events to pop a window up for their current state. Would much rather be able to keep the State Log open and have it auto-update with changes to the event queue, and let me see what event I'm currently looking at for the current time and jump (like the << >> buttons in the animator) between events to allow me to quickly compare two or get the status of multiple events without having to right-click show them individually.

I'll look into this.

Is it also possible in the Pop Out Orbit Display to show the pixel dimensions of the rendered output when viewing along any of the three default axis rotation views? When I create orbital visualizations for my followers I have to match the sizes of the views as close as possible because it looks better to size them the same as they are rendered then to resize them later to match in Paint.NET and lose some quality in the process. You can actually control the size of the plot very precisely to a per-pixel amount by resizing the window itself with drag handles, but it's a bit of a guessing game currently, which takes longer. I understand this data might not even be available to you, in which case oh well.

I can look into this, too. May not be possible, mind.

Having trouble connecting in the Community x64 version. KSPTOT plugin loaded, and firewall disabled.

Hey there,

I'm really not sure. Unfortunately, because Squad doesn't support the x64 version right now, neither do I. There's too many funny things that could be happening for it to be feasible to troubleshoot. Sorry about that. :-(

I like this program, but there are a couple of problems I have with it:

1. It takes a very long time to start up, and does not give any feedback whatsoever that its starting up.

2. It is possible to start KSPTOT, start one of its subwindows (e.g. 2-burn orbit or rendezvous planner), then close the main KSPTOT program itself: if this is done, attempting to perform any calculations in the open window would fail. This is especially annoying for me given the previous issue.

I am using Windows 7.

1. It takes a very long time to start up, and does not give any feedback whatsoever that its starting up.

Not much I can do here I'm afraid. The first action KSP TOT takes is to initialize the MATLAB Compiler Runtime, and that's completely out of my hands. When KSP TOT itself gets to loading, a splashscreen should come up, followed up another splash that shows version information. This is the best I can do.

2. It is possible to start KSPTOT, start one of its subwindows (e.g. 2-burn orbit or rendezvous planner), then close the main KSPTOT program itself: if this is done, attempting to perform any calculations in the open window would fail. This is especially annoying for me given the previous issue.

So okay, you and Gaiiden apparently both want something that closes the sub-windows when the main window closes. This is understandable. I whipped up something tonight that is simplistic but appears to get the job done. I'll put it out in a pre-release tomorrow after work and you can evaluate. That's really the best I can do here: most of the other tools depend on the main KSP TOT window for retrieval and storage of application-wide information, so there's no way to make the sub-windows really independent of the main window (and I really wouldn't want to go down that route, anyway).

Thanks for the feedback!

Not much I can do here I'm afraid. The first action KSP TOT takes is to initialize the MATLAB Compiler Runtime, and that's completely out of my hands. When KSP TOT itself gets to loading, a splashscreen should come up, followed up another splash that shows version information. This is the best I can do.

Yeah I thought it might be something like that, but just thought I'd mention it to be sure.

So okay, you and Gaiiden apparently both want something that closes the sub-windows when the main window closes. This is understandable. I whipped up something tonight that is simplistic but appears to get the job done. I'll put it out in a pre-release tomorrow after work and you can evaluate. That's really the best I can do here: most of the other tools depend on the main KSP TOT window for retrieval and storage of application-wide information, so there's no way to make the sub-windows really independent of the main window (and I really wouldn't want to go down that route, anyway).

Well, I'd actually prefer a confirmation dialog.

Edited by Spheniscine

Hey there,

I'm really not sure. Unfortunately, because Squad doesn't support the x64 version right now, neither do I. There's too many funny things that could be happening for it to be feasible to troubleshoot. Sorry about that. :-(

Okay, I'll try with different versions and try to remake the error. Thanks!

Hey, Linux user here. I'm trying to use this using WINE, but I'm having trouble. I installed MATLAB just fine, but when I run KSPTrajectoryOptimizationTool.exe I get an error. I can post it if you need, but it's pretty long. Any tips?

bug? loading a MAT and telling the optimizer to Re-Optimize (after changing a few state details) fails to load the optimizer, you have to open the optimizer window itself first and run it from there

definite bug: loading orbital data from SFS into the Other Spacecraft and then clicking to another one doesn't save the orbital data, but manual entering of data fields in the orbital properties does save if you click right to another craft after entering

Arrowstar is this MAT file setup right for comms? I ran a network analysis with the source as the active vessel and IP ComSat II as the terminus and the results show that there is no connection between the two. But a graphical analysis shows good line of sight and a distance of only ~20,000km. If I can connect to IP ComSat II then its guaranteed I can get through to KSC from there so I don't bother checking further. My other option is Active Vessel->Duna IPLink1->IP ComSat I

5kcyEbn.png

Edited by Gaiiden

bug? loading a MAT and telling the optimizer to Re-Optimize (after changing a few state details) fails to load the optimizer, you have to open the optimizer window itself first and run it from there

Could not reproduce. Could I see a MAT file?

definite bug: loading orbital data from SFS into the Other Spacecraft and then clicking to another one doesn't save the orbital data, but manual entering of data fields in the orbital properties does save if you click right to another craft after entering

Found it, bug resolved in latest pre-release.

Arrowstar is this MAT file setup right for comms? I ran a network analysis with the source as the active vessel and IP ComSat II as the terminus and the results show that there is no connection between the two. But a graphical analysis shows good line of sight and a distance of only ~20,000km. If I can connect to IP ComSat II then its guaranteed I can get through to KSC from there so I don't bother checking further. My other option is Active Vessel->Duna IPLink1->IP ComSat I

http://i.imgur.com/5kcyEbn.png

I'll take a look.

Hi everyone:

Please find below KSP TOT v1.5.1 pre-release 3. This update includes:

• a fix for the second bug Gaiiden mentioned above;
  • the ability to specify the same planet twice or more in a row in multi-flyby maneuver sequencer; and
  • some other bug fixes.

Bug reports regarding the second point are most welcome as that feature is still somewhat experimental.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Could not reproduce.

I just did it with three different MAT files. Let's make sure I'm giving you the right repro steps:

1) open MAT file that already contains some optimizer constraints from an earlier run

2) don't change anything in the mission states, just choose to re-optimize from the menu

3) optimizer fails to initialize

Happens if I update the initial state with new data too prior to running it

Also when I had the Mission Animator open I went back and adjusted a coast period to make it longer but when I focused back to the Mission Animator and pressed play the timeline bar disappeared once it passed the original end time - it kept playing okay, but the timeline bar vanished completely

Edited by Gaiiden

I just did it with three different MAT files. Let's make sure I'm giving you the right repro steps:

1) open MAT file that already contains some optimizer constraints from an earlier run

2) don't change anything in the mission states, just choose to re-optimize from the menu

3) optimizer fails to initialize

Happens if I update the initial state with new data too prior to running it

Got it. Fixed for next release.

Also when I had the Mission Animator open I went back and adjusted a coast period to make it longer but when I focused back to the Mission Animator and pressed play the timeline bar disappeared once it passed the original end time - it kept playing okay, but the timeline bar vanished completely

I'll look into it, thanks.

Creating a new bodies file from KSP doesn't seem to work in the latest version. I'm running KSPTOT locally, and it just gives me a chord after hitting OK. I tried an older version of KSPTOT and it created a file fine

Creating a new bodies file from KSP doesn't seem to work in the latest version. I'm running KSPTOT locally, and it just gives me a chord after hitting OK. I tried an older version of KSPTOT and it created a file fine

Was not able to reproduce in the latest v1.5.1 pre-release. Can you try that?

- - - Updated - - -

Resolved in upcoming pre-release.