I am full of grief and coffee

Whackjob

screenshot193_zps0becdf48.png

Power module up! And of course it just now occurs to me that other modules are going to block those solar cells. Sigh.

Well, that's what test runs are for.

#EDIT: Corrected.

screenshot194_zps43209fac.png

Next up... crew module? Maybe? Get a Captain Kerman up there.

screenshot199_zpsb2692891.png

The dance begins

screenshot202_zps53448191.png

Getting the lineup right is freakin' HARD. If X and Y axis are above, below, left and right, and Z axis is towards and away, then I can never just control X and Y. Z is always involved. Which means if I need to adjust Y and I can only touch X, then I have to rotate ninety degrees. Annoying.

screenshot209_zps60ffe4cb.png

Wait... are we docked? Some of the outer ports are out of alignment. Yeah, we're docked! Well, I didn't expect the lineup to be perfect. Just so long as it's functional.

screenshot212_zps0465e593.png

Just enough fuel in the lifter to deorbit it and spare me the debris.

And there we have it. Module two connected. Crew module has space for... um... 32 kerbals. Should be crew enough for any major mission.

I think for the next module, I'll put in an RCS fuel module.

screenshot213_zps6d23cc68.png

"Did you pack the RCS fuel and the snacks?"

"Yes, for the fourth time already, yes!"

Hokay, I'm going to scrap this version. The docking rings not snapping together correctly is a problem without a immediate solution. Though I've got a test thought up that could potentially resolve the problem of multi-port docking lineups.

Ok, what do you guys think of this setup?

screenshot214_zpsebf912c1.png

screenshot215_zps0d43ecbf.png

With ports like this, I can put a retractable system in that should shove the ports on each side to the right orientation. Thoughts?

Edited by Aphox
Merged multiposts

The legs should work as long as they hit something. Just hope the hit at the same time. As I know there have been people that used lander legs as claws for thier tugs when they wantt o push debris into Kerbins atmosphere. Anddo youreally need all those solar panels?

The legs should work as long as they hit something. Just hope the hit at the same time. As I know there have been people that used lander legs as claws for thier tugs when they wantt o push debris into Kerbins atmosphere. Anddo youreally need all those solar panels?

Probably not. But each module will have a processor core. Better to have and not need than want and can't get :)

Though I admit I have rethought literally everything. The modules as planned will not work. I did put together a working dock adjuster (no pictures this time, sorry!) but the amount of weight and complexity it added simply wasn't worth it.

So! I'm going to go the other route. I'm gonna build the whole bloody thing on the ground and launch it at once. Now THAT will be interesting!

Newbie question: What best gives you rotational ability that isn't control surfaces or RCS? Control cores? I notice the S.A.S. module has rotational power, but the A.S.A.S ones do not? I could use a little clarification here.

Well, here's a prototype Arkingthaad Mk1 Frigate. It certainly doesn't have the power to get into orbit, much less a meter off the pad. The "boosters" will come in a while. Right now, doing structural testing.

screenshot218_zps29a19bdd.png

screenshot219_zpsd8e855c3.png

This is pretty much just a gravity stress test. The whole mass is sitting directly on the engines. I'm watching for any shifting, wiggling, parts contacting, explosions, and generalized snacks loss. It passed this test. Next step: Getting it up there.

It's kind of ugly... I was going with a half-bulkhead and half-open. Looked better in my head.

We have liftoff!

screenshot220_zps3e73667b.png

screenshot221_zps6e1a9334.png

Edited by Aphox
Merged multiposts

Pretty! *ahem*

Rotation power: SAS, probe cores, and Command Pods all generate Rotation Torque.

ASAS does NOT - It just controls Heading, and tries to shift you back into the heading you had when you activated SAS/ASAS. Sadly, both activate fully when you toggle them on or off, there is no selection of them (at this time)

well, u should be really sorry.

recall the game was $9.9 back then in v0.12.

and is now $23

hv u ever seen a game's price go up instead of down?

never did i, and this is how good this game is

it's power level is off the chart

Brother, this game could have been $50 and it would've been bought just as quick.

One thing I like about Jebediah:

screenshot228_zps4e956712.png

He's down with any plan, no matter how poorly conceived.

screenshot233_zps45033f79.png

Edited by Aphox
Merged multiposts

I've seen KSP on Steam. I even watched the one video that was up there for it. I saw it, I considered it, and I discarded it out of hand.

What I had initially took for a goofy, non-complexity based game completely devoid of realism or challenge actually concealed large measures of both.

If I'd only been around a few months earlier, I could've been there, at the launch pad, with the rest of you.

And now I post here, full of grief and coffee.

I made the same mistake as you, putting off buying the game for so long because I feared the silly little Kerbals meant that this game wasn't a "serious" spaceflight sim. How wrong I was. I realize now that the Kerbals are the comic relief that makes it possible to play this game and still stay sane. Despite failure after epic failure, the little green guys retain their enthusiastic stupidity and willingness to risk (or should I say, sacrifice) their lives for the sake of space exploration. And it's hard to feel bad even when they (or, more accurately, we) get themselves killed - after all, there's always another Kerbal willing to get in whatever flaming deathtrap we design - or slam directly into a planetary surface... or get stranded on another world... or doomed to take an endless orbit.

Edited by HeadHunter67

That's why I keep posting in it hehe. I've read through it all several times myself. Memory lane, indeed. I can't wait for the new patch to come...

I got plans.

screenshot262_zps9c01ceb7.png

Taking a break from the usual giant crazy things. Put a lander and a rover on the Mun. Drove the rover to the lander. 36k drive. Took way longer than I'd thought. Drove in to the lander area so fast I had to slam on the brakes and cut the wheel hard to avoid running over my own lander. Did a power slide and wound up just like that.

Edited by Aphox
merged multiposts

Yeah. That is the problem with the Mün. It gets even better on Minmus, Gilly and Eeloo.

Back when I first went interplanetary, one of my earlier missions was actually a Gilly rover, that thing was so very interesting to drive, I actually had to have RCS firing upwards at all times to keep it on the ground. On top of that, I nearly got the thing into orbit several times by driving over a hill too fast. xD

I apologize ahead of time.

I got a really warped sense of humor. That and my mic picks up my breathing.

Credit to go to Giggleplex777, who graciously gave me permission to rip off his mobile missile launcher idea and didn't mind I made a rover out of it.

I apologize ahead of time.

I got a really warped sense of humor. That and my mic picks up my breathing.

Credit to go to Giggleplex777, who graciously gave me permission to rip off his mobile missile launcher idea and didn't mind I made a rover out of it.

Dude...why didn't I ever think of this, that is BADASS.

EDIT: This is the most badass rover I've ever seen lol...

Edited by IllicitMedic

You're too kind. ^^

Putting together a new rover. A bit bigger; I want to use the stowaway container, so that way I can pick up any wayward Kerbals and send them safely home. The difficulty with that, of course, is the use-the-legs-to-lift-into-launch-position simply isn't gonna work. The leverage isn't there. But I have an idea. Another video in a bit, maybe.

Edited by Aphox
Merged multiposts

Here's version two.

Not liking this one much, to be honest. Too clumsy driving around. The center of gravity is too high, and those tires are too likely to peel off. I wanted the Rockomax width body so I could put a stowaway container on there... the idea being I'd land the rover on the Mun, drive over to anyone stranded, and then... well. You saw the video. Off to home you go.

Would it be possible to get a copy of that badass rover? I'd love to play around with it for inspiration.

I don't see why not. I'll have a link up in a few minutes.

We *got you*!

-Ben (Also on the JREF thread.)

*waves* Hallo!

Link to first rover: http://www.filedropper.com/speedracer

Keys 1 and 2 are for the action groups for lifting with the legs. 1 to start the lift, 2 to keep from toppling over. It's been modified a little since the first video.

Edited by Whackjob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.