How did you find the game?

Sir_Tramalot

I saw a thread from someone on 4chan asking what to do whith the game. He only said "KSP", so I didn't know what kind of game he meant, but the only answer had a picture of an exploding rocket next to it and said "Just launch it into space, what else?". For me, that was enough to search for this game. And that's how I got into the game about one year ago. (April 2013)

Well, when I first heard mention of it, it was just described as a game where you could 'run a space program' and I took that to mean it was some kind of management game, like theme park, so I didn't bother with it. It wasn't until some time later that I was on imgur and saw a screenshot of someone's space station that I found out you could actually build and fly the rockets, then I immediately got the demo and played that quite a lot, then later I saw it on Steam and got it.

I originally heard of it from Kurt's Far Lands or Bust videos, but it wasn't until he said that you could go from the surface of the planet to the surface of the moon without seeing any loading screens that I really took interest.

Then I happen-chanced upon Scott Manley and immediately bought the game.

Long ago, lost to the mists of time, Maxwell Adams of the Freelance Astronauts (an LPing group from the late 2000s which has since dropped off the map) played KSP 0.8.4. He was terrible at it, but the game was clearly pretty interesting, so I took a look. By the time I got there, KSP was up to 0.11, and 0.12 gave us the Mun shortly after that. It didn't take me long to decide that I was all in with this game, and I paid my $7 to be a part of it. Best $7 I've spent on a video game.

For me it was my buddies on EVE Online in the UshraKhan Alliance. I was the head of the industrial side and I needed to have something to keep me awake during the 16 hours mining marathons.

Its all their fault

Alacrity

A well-timed STEAM sale and a burning desire to play a new construction/SIM game instead of the usual shoot-em-ups.

600+ hours and loving it! Especially the modding community - a wonderful balance of the realistic (FAR, RSS, RemoteTech, DRE, TAC, etc.) and the fantastic (KSP-I, Karbonite).

(especially since x64 came out -- I have a fairly powerful PC and I demand its resources be used in their entirety...)

I had just bought Space Engineers and was searching for more videos on the game on youtube and it seemed like every other video had an ad from Scott Manley playing KSP. After the tenth time I decided to look it up and bought the game. It will probably be the ONLY time a youtube ad ever influenced my purchase.

I found the game because I was bored, and searched through old videos of a Let's Player called markiplier. He had a short series on this, essentially only screwing around in a completely non-serious way. I thought it looked cool, searched for other YouTubers playing it, came across Scott Manley, and all the other big KSP names, and ended up buying it to start my own sereis around November of 2013. Since then I have played 212 hours stock, according to steam, and a lot of modded stuff too, producing over 140 Let's Play Epiodes myself up to the time of this post. Best Money I ever invested on a steam game.

For me one of scott manly's videos came up randomly on youtube's sidebar. Had absolutely nothing to do with what I was watching but I was curious to find out what this KSP game was the video seemed to be about so took a look at the video. 3 hours and far too many videos later I found the game on steam and bought it.

Fark.com threads about space always degenerate into KSP screenshot fests of the "moar boosters" and "moar struts" variety. Eventually convinced myself to pick it up.

That and the constant references to it in XKCD.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.