Someone please give me some blueprints for an interplanetary rocket please!!

It is impossible, my rockets either explode on the launchpad or they flip over. Someone just give me some blueprints for a working rocket I can build and make some mods to I want to put a Lander on it so I can actually use a lander for once instead of using the command module.

I try and try to follow the tutorials on the wiki but the rockets never work. I just finished building the rocket for the travelling to laythe tutorial but I put a paystage ontop with an upside down lander.

it explodes on the launchpad!

I have been trying for days and days to build a rocket capable of going outside the Kerbin system and to other planets and moons but it seems to be physically impossible

'It explodes on the launchpad'

Is it possible that you've forgotten to add LSE's? (http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/TT18-A_Launch_Stability_Enhancer)

That would cause your rocket to rest solely on its engines, which often can't bear the load of a heavy craft and will buckle and explode.

Else, try the standard sollution of MOAR STRUTS :-).

If that doesn't work either, try watching Scott Manley's videos on youtube. He has travelled outside the Kerbin system in quite a few videos and you can have a look at his rockets.

• 2 months later...

I suggest making a whole ship in the VAB, dissecting them again, sending the new subassemblies into orbit, and construct the ship from there. at least you won't have to worry about gravity ruining your ship. . . and of course making things in an endless dark void with a slight chance of turning into dust is always fun. :D And if you want me to make launchers for you, don't hesitate. I've been thinking of something to do on KSP these past few weeks. . . I'm kinda bored. :D

Interplanetary mothership design vary a lot depending on where you want to go. A Duna round trip mothership is going to be very different from a Moho round trip mothership for sample. Conversely using a Moho capable mothership for a trip to Duna is a huge waste of fuel and your computer's CPU clock cycle. So tell us where do you want to visit and what do you want to do there and we can get a better idea on what kind of mothership you need.

For inspiration, here are three generations of my interplanetary motherships with payload attached. Each of these conducted a manned landing a return to both the target planet and their moons (other than Jool of course).

2hzh4oz.jpg

m8zhn9.jpg

screenshot1124.jpg

Edited by Temstar

This is mine that I have used to visit all the planets and moons, with the exception of Eve. Also, for Moho, I needed to send out refuelling tankers to get it back, but apart from those two, it is good enough to visit the rest unsupported.

Pictures:

After dumping the launch and second stages, this is what you are left with.

exp01.jpg

Laythe

exp02.jpgexp03.jpg

And this is all you are left with when you start heading back to Kerbin, and most of that gets dumped once you are sub-orbital!

exp10.jpg

You can download the craft file here: Explorer III

Start with something simple. This one is stock and will reach Mun.

ftQ7Yp7.jpg

With NovaPunch mods, this very small design will reach Mun orbit;

TD8RZk9.jpg

Added on with onion staging, you can land on Mun, Minmus, and Duna. With six boosters on asparagus staging, you can land on Duna.

5hzwvTx.jpg

This all stock design will go anywhere in the Kerbal system and can land the satellite it carries.

SikuCmT.jpg

Using an LV-N and drop tanks, even further;

NTmR3q5.jpg

Keep working on your design, don't forget bracing, and use launch support columns so that your creation is not sitting on the engines which will damage them.

Edited by SRV Ron

Like other people mentioned "MOAR STRUTS" the first massive ship I built exploded on the pad. Then the next one broke at the staging seem, but I didn't know. So it became completely uncontrollable. I found the solution was MOAR STRUTS! Then I found I needed way more RCS and monopropellant to keep the big beasts going where I wanted them to.

It is impossible, my rockets either explode on the launchpad or they flip over. Someone just give me some blueprints for a working rocket I can build and make some mods to I want to put a Lander on it so I can actually use a lander for once instead of using the command module.

I try and try to follow the tutorials on the wiki but the rockets never work. I just finished building the rocket for the travelling to laythe tutorial but I put a paystage ontop with an upside down lander.

it explodes on the launchpad!

I have been trying for days and days to build a rocket capable of going outside the Kerbin system and to other planets and moons but it seems to be physically impossible

If you are going to make mods to the rockets you download, what's to say your mods won't cause a stable rocket to explode like the ones you are building? I think the best path for you to follow is to keep working on your rockets until you gain the experience of how to build one without it falling apart. At that point you can look to other designs for inspiration when creating your own.

A little tip, less is more. Bring only what your need to accomplish the mission. Anything else is waste that leads to increased chance of failure.

Interplanetary mothership design vary a lot depending on where you want to go. A Duna round trip mothership is going to be very different from a Moho round trip mothership for sample. Conversely using a Moho capable mothership for a trip to Duna is a huge waste of fuel and your computer's CPU clock cycle.

Why would it vary that much?

I mean, you need different amounts of deltaV, but surely you can use the same basic design but tape more fuel tanks onto it?

That's what I'm working on for my current mothership design, at least. It's a solid design, but just needs more fuel to get further than Eve or Dres. Since the whole thing is modular, I can just stick more fuel tanks onto it in LKO.

Or just stick multiple motherships together, so there are spare engines, and empty tanks can be dumped into planets or muns you don't mind irradiating.

Interplanetary mothership design vary a lot depending on where you want to go. A Duna round trip mothership is going to be very different from a Moho round trip mothership for sample. Conversely using a Moho capable mothership for a trip to Duna is a huge waste of fuel and your computer's CPU clock cycle.

Why would it vary that much?

I mean, you need different amounts of deltaV, but surely you can use the same basic design but tape more fuel tanks onto it?

That's what I'm working on for my current mothership design, at least. It's a solid design, but just needs more fuel to get further than Eve or Dres. Since the whole thing is modular, I can just stick more fuel tanks onto it in LKO.

Or just stick multiple motherships together, so there are spare engines, and empty tanks can be dumped into planets or muns you don't mind irradiating.

I think the truth lies somewhere between these two viewpoints. On the one hand all interplanetary stages are just large masses of fuel that throw exhaust out of their back ends as fast as possible to shoot around space, so there's not strictly any need to design another interplanetary stage from scratch just because you're moving a payload to this place or the other.

On the other hand, trying to infinitely extend existing ships with more and more tanks on docking ports and/or decouplers doesn't really make for a nice ship to maneuver or use, and the chance of something going wrong in space (mis-staging, struts and lines breaking, rolls, excessive wobbling) obviously increases as a function of ship mass and complexity. Just three docking point junctions in a row usually makes for a ship that wobbles terribly, even if you don't hang any other masses off the sides.

There are certain considerations, such as whether to rig the stage to push or pull the payload in space, that depend on the shape and mass of what you're transporting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.