Orbiter 2010

superscout

KSP meets Microsoft flight simulator

I wasn\'t sure if this forum was ready, but for those of you who just love space and want more then what KSP has to offer,here is the intro video and a link to their website:

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/index.html

WATCH IT

Orbiter\'s space shuttle:

Atlantis_launch.jpg

I don\'t even have the words to describe the hours of enjoyment and learning this simulator has brought me, but I will try.

Orbiter is a giant step up from KSP. It is a VERY in-depth game, extremely realistic and is completely finished. Orbiter allows you to take off from and go ANYWHERE in the sol system(all 9 planets and major moons are fully integrated), fly ANY ship and do many, many different things.

Jupiter and two of its moons:

Jovian_system.jpg

Most historical, modern, and many different fictional spacecraft are available to fly, including the space shuttle, Gemini, Apollo, Soyuz, Orion, LTV/CTV/ATV (European space vehicles/capsules), space planes, cargo ships and MUCH more. It includes space stations like the ISS and Mir, and you can build your own space stations if you want (And anywhere you want).

ISS:

iss1_1920.jpg

Orbiters controls are much more realistic and take much more knowledge to use, but as a result are much more precise and MORE FUN.

There are HUNDREDS of addons out there for orbiter, ranging from new space ships, martian bases, better textures, Apollo missions, EVA suits, and space stations.

Delta Glider EX addon:

goin2themoonbrb.jpg

If there is anything you have ever wanted to do in KSP but couldn\'t because it wasn\'t realistic (or finished) enough, orbiter is your game. Between the full solar system, amazing graphics, high realism, wide variety of space ships, space stations, orbiter is one of my favorite games. ever.

A few more pics:

Space shuttle recovering the HST

Atlantis_hst.jpg

Delta Glider in orbit

gallery72.jpg

Orion lunar mission

nasaares.jpg

What is better is completely in the eye of the beholder, orbiter to me is like watching paint dry, its calm and calculated, not fun and hectic... Both games have their merrets but hands down KSP, for me, is far more enjoyable

I like love this simulator

However I have a request for you.

You don\'t have the ability to judge whether the forum is 'ready'. That makes you look arrogant.

Just about everyone here knows about Orbiter.

You also made it sound like KSP isn\'t as good or even worse than Orbiter. Heavy bias there.

EDIT: However I do approve of having an official thread

Everybody knows about Orbiter. One one-word search (Upper right? Where it says 'search'? On the button?) would have shown you the various debates about whether to bring in this or that MFD from it, comparisons of the orbital calculators and the reasons KSP is not trying to be Orbiter.

I think you are not ready for this forum.

Everybody knows about Orbiter. One one-word search (Upper right? Where it says 'search'? On the button?) would have shown you the various debates about whether to bring in this or that MFD from it, comparisons of the orbital calculators and the reasons KSP is not trying to be Orbiter.

I think you are not ready for this forum.

Agree 100% ,but... lock / delete please? Before we enter a Orbiter vs ksp flame-war

What is better is completely in the eye of the beholder, orbiter to me is like watching paint dry, its calm and calculated, not fun and hectic... Both games have their merrets but hands down KSP, for me, is far more enjoyable

The fact that I can actually get into orbit and do interesting in KSP means it wins for me.

I could never reach orbit in Orbiter... if I wanted to do anything interesting I would have to spawn in orbit.

I\'m sorry if I offended anyone by saying 'I wasn\'t sure if this forum was ready'. It was a joke and I\'m sorry if it offended anyone deeply. Also, I am not saying that one is better then the other. They are two VERY different games and each one has its merits and dis merits. I do not want my KSP to turn into orbiter and I do not want orbiter to turn into KSP

I\'m sorry if I offended anyone by saying 'I wasn\'t sure if this forum was ready'. It was a joke and I\'m sorry if it offended anyone deeply. Also, I am not saying that one is better then the other. They are two VERY different games and each one has its merits and dis merits. I do not want my KSP to turn into orbiter and I do not want orbiter to turn into KSP

Opposite day.....

The fact that I can actually get into orbit and do interesting in KSP means it wins for me.

I could never reach orbit in Orbiter... if I wanted to do anything interesting I would have to spawn in orbit.

Reaching orbit in orbiter is like the easiest thing, how can you not reach it? You basically just have to accelerate all the time and fly up until you see a proper orbit on the orbit MFD.

Reaching orbit in orbiter is like the easiest thing, how can you not reach it? You basically just have to accelerate all the time and fly up until you see a proper orbit on the orbit MFD.

I dunno, I just never managed to do it. Always had too much vertical velocity and ran out of fuel early.

I like orbiter better as an orbit simulator but I like KSP better as a game. They are apples and oranges; both fruit yet satisfy different tastes. I do feel like KSP is far more accessible than orbiter, in that it is easier to learn how to play, has a far less intimidating interface, and doesn\'t require a host of third party mods to run. Sure, I may have had to download munar lander legs, but with orbiter I had to download SOUND. I feel that at the rate KSP is progressing, it will eventually surpass orbiter for sheer number of available features that dont require third party intervention to run, and just plain ole entertainment value. Just my two cents not that anybody asked. :)

Not necessarily 'end thread'! This wasn\'t set up as a versus or comparison, and there\'s no harm in talking about Orbiter here. It just seem kind of futile when there\'s kind of an Orbiter forum or two or three already.

Ok, maybe not 'end thread' as I have said, I\'m perfectly open to discussion about Orbiter. Perhaps I should have said 'end argument' instead.

I\'m a big fan of Orbiter here. In fact, I have a Delta Glider paper model sitting on top of my computer :)

Also, the OrbiterForum community was extremely helpful on the early stages of KSP development. And they were the first to see the first public release.

I thought everyone would have figured that out by the hail probe smileys. :hailprobe:

But I\'m happy to see everyone understands that KSP was never supposed to compete with Orbiter. KSP is supposed to be a spoofy take on space programs, with a strong cartoonish feel to it. Orbiter is completely focused on realism.

It\'s true Orbiter is very much more advanced as a simulator. It does have 12 years of development behind it. But I never wanted KSP to be as advanced as Orbiter in that respect. KSP is about freedom to build things that may not work, and having fun exploding really expensive spacecraft, while based on an above-average-realism physics simulation :D

Cheers

Regarding crashing in Orbiter: it\'s generally taken that as a spaceflight simulator, the aspects of the program dealing with the 'ground' are fairly limited. You\'re supposed to stay in space! :) (This is why landing and ground motion in Orbiter tends not to work as well as it could, perhaps.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.