A potential space battle system for KSP

Flaglore

Yeah, I remember learning that from somewhere.

I stand corrected, they had a Makarov pistol during the incident, but it was pretty useless, so they made their own gun.

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/rus/tp-2-e.html

Anywho, that third one would be really hard to do, since something would have to determine what is fair, and what isn't. It would have to factor in impact tolerances, the delta-V and masses of any "armament" (which would probably need to be player designated), and so on.

Edited by Themohawkninja

OK guiz

To clarify I'm not asking for any new content to be added to the stock game or any kind of mod. I just thought it could be interesting to try out a few battle with a similiar system.

I'm a little surprised my one post triggered a flame war.(Is that something to be proud of?)

OK guiz

To clarify I'm not asking for any new content to be added to the stock game or any kind of mod. I just thought it could be interesting to try out a few battle with a similiar system.

I'm a little surprised my one post triggered a flame war.(Is that something to be proud of?)

If this is what you call a flame war...

So, you are just suggesting an RP concept?

Once.multiplayer comes around.. If it ever does, I'd say just hosting a sort of space battle would be fun, the designs some people would come up with might be amazing. You could go for a small versatile craft, or a large, armored carrier. Oh, how I would love to do this.

if it does, it'll be abused instantly by the shoot'm up kids to lay in wait overhead KSP with rockets and other weapons. taking potshots at anyone daring to launch.

Instantly destroys multiplayer of course, but those kids don't mind, they're having fun griefing others.

I like how the majority in the first page don`t realize that he actually wasn`t suggesting warfare to the game.

I think most of them just read the title and saw weapons/battle (implied multiplayer).

I think the idea itself is good. Not something I would participate in myself, I'd hate seeing my ships destroyed like that. I hated seeing Maceys ships destroyed.

One thing I thought was a little unfair in the battle was the amount of time for each turn didn't seem to be consistent. Suestra seemed to have longer turns (ie firing and ramming). If this system were formalized, it should be based on a fixed duration perhaps?

For your viewing enjoyment.

screenshot37_zpsb7a2f138.png

Three members of MY Kerbal Colonial Marines driving a M241 DLV- Chenowyth

Note in the background is an M589 Orbital Strike Missile Battery.

Can I have the file for those helmets?

If you don't like what he's saying, why did you post here? Just ignore the thread. It's not like he's forcing this upon you personally.

If you don't want it discussed, including opposing points of view, don't post it!

see we can all play the colour game!

You can make any battleship concepts/warfare/weaponry/combat sceneries/all of those as much as you want in game, but keep in mind that this is still a space simulator game (with a primary focus in space exploration and rocket building) and not some X-COM Interceptor style stuff (constructing and blowing up fortresses and bases, killing aliens, with vessels and spacecrafts that give orbital mechanics the middle finger), thus voiding any battle suggestions that may came through (devs made it clear already, as posted earlier here).

Now look what you've made me do, throw my first post on an argument over something the thread never suggested, and that other bunch who are just oblivious to the question.

All he wants is the system shown in the video to be refined so that two or more people can perform actions without boring pre-planning.

Notice the lack of me saying "combat"? It could be used for a round based "get to the planet/flag" for all anyone cares.

A time based system could be extremely fiddly, someone could be interrupted while they're manoeuvring a very fiddly vessel and get dumped in the atmosphere.

The standard points system (2 point for ejecting, 10 points for moving, etc) works for simple actions like staging but doesn't accommodate ship classifications very well, what I suggest is scaling up the points system to allow formulas like "10pts * [tonnage] = move action cost" or "2 * [ejected part count] = stage action cost", this would eliminate the sketchy frigate-capital inbetweens but I'm out of ideas on stopping a player doing 'too much'.

For calculating ship strength in combat, perhaps try the total delta-v of all ordinance. In the context of Macey's series, it might be interesting to have multiplier penalties for shooting.

Minimum distances shouldn't really happen in my opinion, the 2.5km loading one is enough.

Any further refining?

This thread has been a pretty bumpy one with a fair few misunderstandings. Please could we get back on track to what the OP was originally saying, which was to simply refine and discuss the battle in the video shown. Thanks.

I'm not sure whether this system will work for many people. It took us 2 days to record everything.

You always need to exchange the save files, this can take some time, when something goes wrong, it's over.

It's a lot of fun but it also takes a lot of time. It's up to you whether you think it's worth the time.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.