Single launch to Laythe

The idea here is simple. Build a craft which doesn't require refueling and/or docking, which can be launched in one mission, and is capable of getting to Laythe.

Rules:

• No docking or refueling the ship. Only one launch.

• Must land a kerbal on Laythe.

• Stock parts only.

________

Mini-challenges:

• Lowest weight

• Gets to laythe fastest

• Has a rover

• Carries more than one kerbal

• Can somehow get back to KSC - note, this may be imposible

Why wouldn't you refuel/dock with a cruise stage in orbit?

Because it's a "challenge". I could easily do this enough, but if you actually wanted to make it difficult, make it a single STAGE rocket to Laythe.

It is possible, I believe Brotoro's done this, but all he did was land a couple kerbals and get them back for a return trip. For anything larger, I think you need docking and refuelling.

Have you yourself, actually successfully completed this challenge?

No, sorry. I haven't seen any ships intended to do such a thing mentioned anywhere on the forum either, and was wondering if it was possible.

EDIT: You can still have "stages"... correct?

Correct. I'm not sure how a single stage rocket to Laythe could even conceivably work. Maybe use jets for takeoff and landing, and ion engines while in space?

No, sorry. I haven't seen any ships intended to do such a thing mentioned anywhere on the forum either, and was wondering if it was possible.

Correct. I'm not sure how a single stage rocket to Laythe could even conceivably work. Maybe use jets for takeoff and landing, and ion engines while in space?

It's possible, and in fact should be quite easy. Even SSTO spaceplanes to Laythe and back had been done by several people on the forum before.

A one-way trip to Laythe should take less delta-V than a round-trip to the Mun. If you have parachutes, it's basically orbit + 2000 m/s to get out to Jool, with very minor course corrections needed to get a Laythe intercept. If you don't have parachutes, then add a couple hundred m/s for powered landing. I could probably do this in under 3 tons with a Kerbal on a seat, but am too lazy to fly it without MechJeb.

Firebat%200.jpg

Without the 8 satellites on the nose this can in a single stage take off from the pad, land on Laythe, launch from Laythe and return to Kerbin and parachute land at KSC. With the satellites on the nose it can reach Laythe and land, then take off again but is stuck in orbit.

int3221.jpg

Can reach Laythe from the runway, land and get back to orbit, but is stuck there as well.

Yes, both have more than one intake per engine, but both are completely stock + mechjeb, and the payload of the first one has some extra bits as well.

[/qoute]

I am completely unimpressed by the Falcon X jumbo simply because it massively exploits the intake spam mechanic. Any idiot can put 100 intakes on a plane and fly it to 40,000 meters and orbital speeds on jets alone. It isn't even remotely impressive.

Not just any idiot can make something so massive, aesthetically pleasing, and properly functioning.

Heres my stock plane mission to Laythe and back. No docking, refueling or anything.

Wow. That is possibly one of the most insane crafts I've ever seen on the forum. In a good way.

Is there anywhere it can be downloaded? And how did you deal with the jets flaming out and possibly leaving it in a spin?

Thank you very much. Yeah i have the plane shared on dropbox, but i cannot link it from my phone sorry. I will link it tomorrow when i get back home along with some instriction how to fly it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMOzbtZAfWM

[/qoute]

I am completely unimpressed by the Falcon X jumbo simply because it massively exploits the intake spam mechanic. Any idiot can put 100 intakes on a plane and fly it to 40,000 meters and orbital speeds on jets alone. It isn't even remotely impressive.

The Internet is not big enough...

Is there anywhere it can be downloaded? And how did you deal with the jets flaming out and possibly leaving it in a spin?

Here goes, as promised right click, save as

The plane has 2 pairs of jet engines and a single nuke in the middle. And a lot of air intakes. It also has rover wheels on the back, they can be operated when raising the rear landing gear. It also has a few action groups

1 to toggle outer pair of jets

2 to toggle inner pair

3 for the nuke

5 to toggle rear landing gear

6 to toggle steering and motor on the rover wheels (to stop it from annoyingly turning midflight)

0 to toggle all of the air intakes.

The ascent profile can be a little tricky at first, I flew almost straight up until about 15k meters, then gradually turned horizontal and started gaining some real speed. When air got sparse enough I switched off 2 jet engines and kept on going with just 2. When they ran out of fuel I switched them off and closed all of the intakes. At that point i was going fast enough to get out of atmosphere, so i did and used the nuke to circularize and beyond.

I did transfer some fuel around on my mission, but i think that was not necessary, the plane is stable enough even when out of fuel and it actually glides pretty well when totally dry. When the fuel is low, or when on Laythe i used only one pair of jet engines by the way.

If i were to make any changes to the plane, i prolly would make another action group or few, for more air intake control. Close all but a few intakes when taking off, then gradually open them all up and when jets are out close them all. And i might consider switching the ASAS for avionics, but that's a close one, down to preference i guess.

That's about all i think, it's been a while while i flew the mission and i typed this out of memory. But it should be close enough, this is my way of doing planes, pretty much has always been.

Lemme know what you think of the plane should you try it out.

Edited by Kappa73
wrong dropbox link, woops =)

i am completely unimpressed by the falcon x jumbo simply because it massively exploits the intake spam mechanic. Any idiot can put 100 intakes on a plane and fly it to 40,000 meters and orbital speeds on jets alone. It isn't even remotely impressive.

The Internet is not big enough...

Fixed it for you. :)

my SSTO((ish) lathe attempt glitched out. It was a mothership, and a lander plane, but they somehow got detatched from eachother while waiting for transfer window, and if I try to redock them, for somereason, the target speed indicator glitchs out, and starts climbing, and i cant save/go back to tracking station.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.