[0.24.2] Wolf Aerospace - Perfectrons / L.E.S. Pack [11.08.2014]

PDCWolf

Is there a good mod that only alters the tech tree progression for a realistic balance? Better than Starting Manned alters too much other stuff for my tastes.

It's not "realistic" but it might be more of what you are looking for. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53749-VetTech-Lightweight-Tech-Tree-reordering-for-experienced-players-(1-4)

PCDWolf I've loved and used your Perfectron separation motors for a long time, and they are one of my 'go-to' mods for neat, easy staging.

Could you be a gem and update your thread title with your veriosn compatibility and last update date as is the norm with most others? It'd help us keep track :)

PCDWolf I've loved and used your Perfectron separation motors for a long time, and they are one of my 'go-to' mods for neat, easy staging.

Could you be a gem and update your thread title with your veriosn compatibility and last update date as is the norm with most others? It'd help us keep track :)

Done, although parts are update agnostic (unless any part module or the part module itself gets modified).

Well, the spawns are fixed. Now we wait for squad to fix their colliders for some consistency.

http://i.imgur.com/T6wL0nt.png

In this image:

•0.625m tanks: Perfect

•1m tanks: Floats on some, clips in others

•2.5m tanks: Clips on every single one

•3.75m tanks: Same as 2.5m, it even looks the same.

Glad to see you back wolf. These perfectrons are very usefull and now i dont need to turn them around when mounting:P

I agree many of the stock parts have inconcistent colliders. Dont think squad will fix them up anytime soon tho:( one very basic fix for floating models is to extrude the back part of the mesh so it clips into the tank and leave the collider the way it is. Maybe also lower the surface attach point a bit so the parts dont sink into the bigger tanks too much. I agree its not optimal but as you see some of the stock parts are modeled this way too.(example: the small radial battery)

Edited by landeTLS

If I use this with RSS and RealismOverhaul, should I then delete the folders "WA-LES" and "WA-SoyuzLES"?

I'm having a problem with the LES and these mods – the Mark1-2 pod tumbles when I fire it…

Edited by mecki

If I use this with RSS and RealismOverhaul, should I then delete the folders "WA-LES" and "WA-SoyuzLES"?

I'm having a problem with the LES and these mods – the Mark1-2 pod tumbles when I fire it…

Yes, you should. I still have to make the fixes for the Soyuz model for it to work with RSS+RO. For the Mk1-2Pod you should be using the 1.60m LES. for it to work correctly you HAVE to make sure it's as close to the pod as possible (you can clip a docking port inside the LES) and that you didn't add anything else to the pod unless you used symmetry when doing so.

If this is how you are doing it, then I'll have to look at it again.

Yes, you should. I still have to make the fixes for the Soyuz model for it to work with RSS+RO. For the Mk1-2Pod you should be using the 1.60m LES. for it to work correctly you HAVE to make sure it's as close to the pod as possible (you can clip a docking port inside the LES) and that you didn't add anything else to the pod unless you used symmetry when doing so.

If this is how you are doing it, then I'll have to look at it again.

I just tried this (RO with RSS and DRE):

Mk1-2 pod with 4m DRE Heatshield for Mk1-2 pod.

Escape Tower W/Offset thrust mounted directly to the top.

Nothing else mounted to the pod.

The pod starts tumbling really fast and out of control.

The stock SAS produced a similar result (although the tumbling and the direction of the flight are opposite).

The Aerojet Kerbodyne LES (the two-part one for the mk1-pod) works as expected with the pod (the bigger one does not).

I just tried this (RO with RSS and DRE):

Mk1-2 pod with 4m DRE Heatshield for Mk1-2 pod.

Escape Tower W/Offset thrust mounted directly to the top.

Nothing else mounted to the pod.

The pod starts tumbling really fast and out of control.

The stock SAS produced a similar result (although the tumbling and the direction of the flight are opposite).

The Aerojet Kerbodyne LES (the two-part one for the mk1-pod) works as expected with the pod (the bigger one does not).

http://a.pomf.se/bimpcb.webm

I made a separate install just to test this.

But is this with Realism Overhaul installed? Because the pod doesn't look like it is being scaled. Maybe this is something Realism Overhaul would have to adapt then?

RSS, NEAR, RO, Real chute.

RSS, NEAR, RO, Real chute.

I'm using FAR. Could this make a difference? Will make more tests.

Thank you!

I'm sorry, I still can't replicate the intended behavior.

My setup:

- Mk1-2 pod with LEW/ Offset directly attached

- Mk1-2 pod with LEW/ Offset directly attached on docking port

- Mk1-2 pod with Haetshield and LEW/ Offset directly attached

The result stays the same.

My minimum Mod list:

Toolbar

Active Texture Management

aWolf

DeadlyReentry

Ferram Aerospace Research

Modulefixer

ModuelManager

ModuleRSCFX

NASAmission

RealChute

RealFuels

RealismOverhaul

RealSolarSystem

Squad

ThunderAerospace (TAC)

TweakScale

Edited by mecki
added test results

I'm using FAR. Could this make a difference? Will make more tests.

Thank you!

I'm sorry, I still can't replicate the intended behavior.

My setup:

- Mk1-2 pod with LEW/ Offset directly attached

- Mk1-2 pod with LEW/ Offset directly attached on docking port

- Mk1-2 pod with Haetshield and LEW/ Offset directly attached

The result stays the same.

My minimum Mod list:

Toolbar

Active Texture Management

aWolf

DeadlyReentry

Ferram Aerospace Research

Modulefixer

ModuelManager

ModuleRSCFX

NASAmission

RealChute

RealFuels

RealismOverhaul

RealSolarSystem

Squad

ThunderAerospace (TAC)

TweakScale

Did you realize you have to rotate the L.E.S. to make the thrust vector point in the correct direction? (it points to the CoM, off by a degree or a degree and a half, can't cover every possible case).

Edited by PDCWolf

By the way, let me write down why you have to rotate it instead of me putting a "rotate" parameter in the MODEL{} definition: If I add the Rotate parameter, the part turns so heavy and powerful it makes you reach mach 2 at sea level and kills every Kerbal by G Force damage (if you are using DRE).

Yes, I can fix that by recompiling the model, but I'll save that for the next L.E.S. pack update, which shouldn't be too far ahead, it's only a "fixing things" update though, don't expect any new parts just yet.

Did you realize you have to rotate the L.E.S. to make the thrust vector point in the correct direction? (it points to the CoM, off by a degree or a degree and a half, can't cover every possible case).

I completely missed that part. I rotated the part 90° and it now weeks as advertised. Only the rotation at the end which is a little stronger with heat shield and docking port (no part clipping) attached.

You may now slap me.

I'm looking forward to one of these styled like the tower for the SLS / Orion! :-D

I completely missed that part. I rotated the part 90° and it now weeks as advertised. Only the rotation at the end which is a little stronger with heat shield and docking port (no part clipping) attached.

You may now slap me.

I'm looking forward to one of these styled like the tower for the SLS / Orion! :-D

That's the main problem: Too many options. I make it work when attached at the top of the docking port, then it doesn't work when clipped. I make it work when clipped and it stops working when not clipped. I re-aim the thrusters and then people start adding stuff to their pods throwing the CG off. It's a game of who gets excluded because of the impossibility of making a model for everyone.

Would you consider uploading to kerbalstuff and help support the community mod repository

I would upload there, but first I need to get a few things cleared up.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In KSP 0.25, lateraltrons are bugged in a way that makes them appear several times larger than they should be.

K3CsgBz.png

Is a solution for this possible?

EDIT: So I came up with a temporary solution until an official update fixes it: Create a Module Manager cfg file that contains the following:

// Fixes size of lateraltron in KSP 0.25
@PART[lateraltron]:AFTER[aWolf] {
rescaleFactor = 0.08
}

Edited by Entropius
temporary solution

• 1 month later...

PDCWolf,

Thanks for such a great mod. Def one of my must have's.....

Have you seen or looked at the CKAN mod / group. They are setting up a great system to pull mods and keep up to date with revisions and such.

If possible and you have time, maybe you could look at this and add your mod to the group. Actually, you only need to add a small file and it does the rest...

Cheers and thanks for a great mod...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100067-The-Comprehensive-Kerbal-Archive-Network-%28CKAN%29-Package-Manager

and more to the point, the file that would need to be created https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Adding-a-mod-to-the-CKAN

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.