In the spirit of cooperation and competition

Nauthy

Sorry to see you go, SkyHook :( You were one of the first to sign up, it sucks that you won't get to contribute. I've always been torn on the mods issue, I agree with you about the functionality and freedom they provide, but I think they'd overly complicate the project, especially with the number of people involved. I'd be more than willing to do a similar build in the future where mods are allowed, though :) Probably with less people, heh, I didn't expect so many to want in on this!

As for teams, I'm all for it! It makes sense considering how big our group is and it'll keep the parts count decent. Having two stations around Kerbin, one as a refuelling depot and one a proper station, seems like it might be the way to go. At ~300 parts per station, we could even try for a limit of 35 parts per module.

As SOON as there is something like this with mods, I will be the first person to sign up :)

Could I possibly Suggest that the First Post be updated with information on who has joined the Team, what their Youtube Channel is, aswell as Main Goals to start with, Mods you'll be using, ect, ect? Purely so we can keep track of whats going on alot easier =] Looking forward to seeing what comes out of this!

Edited by EmissionGeneration

Just to remind everyone, I am temporarily leaving (due to family reasons) from tomorrow until the 8th (August), if I'm too late to contribute, I don't mind, but if you create a list may I be placed near last? Thank You.

Edited by TheTriniFlyer
Clarity

For the stations, could we say, make a orbital tug and tug it to the Mun then continue there?

So build a station around Kerbin and then move it to the Mun? That's possible, though it might be easier to build from scratch in Mun orbit. I think I'd prefer if we start out with the two stations in Kerbin orbit and then go from there. An orbital tug is a great idea for a module, though, something that would be capable of moving a large mass from Kerbin to the Mun or Minmus. In the future we can maybe begin a build around Kerbin, then move that using the tug and finish it around another planet.

I'm really really sorry, but I don't think I can do this. My computer can barely run KSP, let alone make a video :/. I'm really sorry, but I quit.

Aw, another one down :( Sorry to hear the news, man. Hopefully in the future we can get you back on board!

Could I possibly Suggest that the First Post be updated with information on who has joined the Team, what their Youtube Channel is, aswell as Main Goals to start with, Mods you'll be using, ect, ect? Purely so we can keep track of whats going on alot easier =] Looking forward to seeing what comes out of this!

Yes, for sure! I can't believe I haven't done that yet, it's gone through my mind a few times. I'll get on it :)

I could join, I only have 1 sub ATM because my other channel got deleted by a scum friend when he was at my house. I have an alright computer that lags at around 500 parts.

Did a space open up from skyhook? If so here's my channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/1dharak

Welcome dharak1! Hope you're not friends with that dude anymore :P

Just to remind everyone, I am temporarily leaving (due to family reasons) from tomorrow until the 8th, if I'm too late to contribute, I don't mind, but if you create a list may I be placed near last? Thank You.

Gotcha! No worries, buddy. I was actually gonna make the list now, I'll make sure you're towards the end :) I guess it all depends on when 0.21 comes out, but I think we'll be good.

So here's what I've got for a build order. I randomized the names and kept track of who's able to go later. I don't think I missed anybody, but it's a possibility, heh. We're at 17 members, if I counted right (including one special guest who may or may not be able to join us), so we can have teams of 8 and 9. Let me know if you want to be moved around and if you'd prefer working on the refueling depot (team 1) or the main station (team 2). And yes, I did kinda cheat and put myself last :)

Team 1:

TheCanadianVendingMachine

ShachonianX

Cooly568

Holo

Spyritdragon

WhiteWeasel

dharak1

esinohio

hoojiwana

Team 2:

Jm419

AustralianFries

The Destroyer

Rocketscience101

ddavis425

leax256

TheTriniFlyer

Special Guest! - Goosexi

Nauthy

Edited by Nauthy

Hello again :-)

I'm still loving the idea, and still following this project. I didn't apply previously because i've never actually been anywhere out of Kerbin. So much stuff to do in Kerbin and Munar orbit. and on the surface. Crashing spaceplanes for example.

I do have a reasonable amount of experience with Kerbin orbital stations though, so if you could still use help, i can do it :-). My system specs aren't the best, but they aren't bad either. They were recent when i got this computer a year or two ago, and all of my non-oversized projects have rendered without many problems up till now. (2 ghz i7, 8 cores (unity doesn't like multiple cores tho :-( ), 4GB ram, 2778 MB graphics card.

My youtube channel isn't live just yet (i could give you my personal channel which has some 3 subs, but that's not where i'm going). I'm hoping to go live within the coming few months, doing playthroughs of a bunch of older games as well as KSP. As soon as i can comfortably record on a daily basis really. On a bit of a slow connection now, but that shouldn't matter considering the not-too-large size of KSP save files.

If you're already sufficiently crewed, good luck ^-^.

I do suggest you look into orbital debris though. You should probably make a rule that everyone remove their debris, at least from LKO, if you're going to continue this save with future projects and stations.

Edited by Spyritdragon

Hello again :-)

I'm still loving the idea, and still following this project. I didn't apply previously because i've never actually been anywhere out of Kerbin. So much stuff to do in Kerbin and Munar orbit. and on the surface. Crashing spaceplanes for example.

I do have a reasonable amount of experience with Kerbin orbital stations though, so if you could still use help, i can do it :-). My system specs aren't the best, but they aren't bad either. They were recent when i got this computer a year or two ago, and all of my non-oversized projects have rendered without many problems up till now. (2 ghz i7, 8 cores (unity doesn't like multiple cores tho :-( ), 4GB ram, 2778 MB graphics card.

My youtube channel isn't live just yet (i could give you my personal channel which has some 3 subs, but that's not where i'm going). I'm hoping to go live within the coming few months, doing playthroughs of a bunch of older games as well as KSP. As soon as i can comfortably record on a daily basis really. On a bit of a slow connection now, but that shouldn't matter considering the not-too-large size of KSP save files.

If you're already sufficiently crewed, good luck ^-^.

I do suggest you look into orbital debris though. You should probably make a rule that everyone remove their debris, at least from LKO, if you're going to continue this save with future projects and stations.

team 1 does have 8 while team 2 has 9

you must be on a laptop to have a 2 ghz i7.

we really shouldn't worry too much about debris, it really won't make a difference till we get ridiculuas numbers.

team 1 does have 8 while team 2 has 9

you must be on a laptop to have a 2 ghz i7.

we really shouldn't worry too much about debris, it really won't make a difference till we get ridiculuas numbers.

Yup. The way i live, i had to travel around quite alot, i used to move regularly, so a laptop was really the only feasible option. Is 2 Gz that bad?

And you're probably right. Debris shouldn't be too much of a problem now i think of it again :-).

Ugh, stupid real life. I needs me a smartphone so I can get on here when I've got some rare free time at work, lol.

Aaanyways, a couple of things to be addressed. Sadly, I have to say that the group is probably full. I keep going back and forth on this, especially after SkyHook dropped out and I accepted dharak. By that logic, since Pluto dropped out as well, we've still technically got a space open. What does everyone think? I'm totally cool with accepting Spyritdragon (he's been with us since the beginning, too) and that way we can have equal teams. Unfortunately, either way it means I gotta say no to buzz66boy :( Sorry dude, we can get you on board in the future for another build, though!

I've gotta head out in a few minutes, but when I get back home in a few hours I'll edit my first post, to let everybody know we've got a full group (among other things).

TheCanadianVendingMachine: Heh, sure! If nobody minds. I wasn't even thinking about team captains or names.

Jm419: I'm in talks with our guest about going first, so you may not have to worry about the station core :) I'll keep the list updated as things change.

As for the debris issue. Granted, we probably won't have much debris to worry about, but it'd be great if everyone attempts to leave nothing behind. Keep those skies clear! We could even have a module set up as a debris cleaner.

I was thinking for the build order that we could alternate every flight (or every other one) between team 1 and 2. That way we can get the stations built at relatively the same time. Also, we should make it a requirement for everyone to upload the save file after they're done with it. I'm sure everyone would like to get their hands on the latest save to play around in!

If debris is a problem could we not ask for an end flight on debris by people? And if someone forgets we can always end their debris. We should still make an attempt to keep debris to a minimum.

Fair enough, we could always use the end flight option. I'm just one of those crazy people that thinks it's a little cheaty to do it that way, so I always try to make sure I leave nothing behind or I can deorbit my debris. Still, it's not a huge issue and we can leave it up to individual choice. :)

I've also just updated the first post with all the relevant info. Let me know if there's anything else I should add (like some of the missing YT links :P)

Edited by Nauthy

End flight won't be available in 0.21 remember.

There's still the abort button on the tracking station :-)

Otherwise, as long as we're sticking to Kerbin, actually preventing debris from having a stable orbit shouldn't be too much of a problem. I drop my ascent stages when my periapsis is about 50.000, then use a small stage with a probe core on it to preform my rendezvous, which can then deorbit itself with the leftover fuel.

Edited by Spyritdragon

Is it ok to leave debris on an inclined orbit so it has a lower collision chance?

Edit: Ermmm guys this thread is getting buried are we going to do this or let it die in planning?

Edited by dharak1

We're doing this, dharak, no worries! I guess there isn't much planning left to do, heh, now we've just gotta wait for 0.21 to drop. The debris thing isn't really a big issue and I think it should be left up to each person to dispose of it however they see fit. If anything, I'll go through any debris left at the end and clear it all.

As for the build order, a couple of things. I put Spyritdragon on the fuel depot in the middle of the pack, lemme know if you wanna be moved up a bit if you're worried about FPS lag. I didn't want to leave you hanging about whether you could join us. You've been with us since the beginning, I'd feel bad saying no, even with all the people we currently have. So now we've got even teams!

The order for team 2 will also stay the same, so Jm419 you've got the honour of building our core :)

I'm so anxious to get this going...soooooon!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.