In the spirit of cooperation and competition

Nauthy

Hey there everyone, how's it going!

First of all, I just wanted to thank this community and especially Squad for being so awesome, without you guys we wouldn't have so many great creative minds in one spot. Keep it up!

Secondly (and I don't know if this is the right sub-forum for it), I wanted to propose a joint project in the vein of the IYSS. As we all know, KSP has been quickly gaining popularity recently, partially due to the efforts of our wicked Media Team. Those guys put out quality solo videos all the time, but personally I quite enjoy watching the projects they work on together.

We've seen what they can do, so let us show them what craziness we can come up with! I'd like to get a few of the smaller KSP YouTubers together (say...anyone with 1000 subs or less?) to work on our own version of the IYSS, though perhaps that might seem a bit unoriginal. So instead we could attempt a surface base or station around another planet, maybe build a large ship in Kerbin orbit and send that somewhere...there's many possibilities and all ideas are welcome! The purpose of this collaboration would not only be to show off the game, but also to expose the smaller channels and maybe strike up some friendly competition with the Media Team.

Please let me know what you think. I'd love to make this as huge a project as possible, so the more the merrier!

--------------

UPDATE: Let's go to Duna! The Mun is boring, so we're skipping that for now. The Duna phase will consist of a ground base and station once again, but with a bit more freedom when it comes to the builds.

--------------

UPDATE: Time for the second phase! Take a look at the submission thread for all of the current and previous videos. For this phase we'll be heading to Minmus with a ground base and an orbital station. Keep tuned!

--------------

UPDATE: The project has officially begun, check out the submission thread! Link to the thread here and a playlist

. Also, drop on by the Reddit thread here!

--------------

UPDATE: Well, now that we've had this idea up for a while and a good number of people have joined, let's give everybody an update on what's happening. Unfortunately we've got a pretty big group, so I doubt we'll be accepting others in for this build, but there'll be more in the future! Everyone's welcome to drop by and chat with us, though :)

Project members:

Nauthy - YT

CakeNinjaProductions - YT

leax256 - YT

Goosexi - YT

dharak1 - YT

Cooly568 - YT

The Destroyer - YT

Spyritdragon - YT

TheCanadianVendingMachine - YT

Holo - YT

KCBP Rules:

1a. A max limit on parts per module, this is perhaps the most important with so many people involved. The limit will be 40 parts for the ground base and 60 parts on the station. We need to keep the parts count as low as possible, since we all know how bad the lag can get, especially for those with not so beefy PCs. There is a leeway of 5 parts, in case of an emergency and you absolutely need to add a few extra pieces.

1b. You are allowed to build however many modules you want, as long as you stick within the part limit. So it should allow for more freedom of creativity and will ensure that the builds will have more interesting components.

2a. No docking dead-end modules. If you take up a docking port, there should be at least one additional docking port on your module of the same size. Station-to-station ports should be Senior-sized. Should be pretty obvious why this rule is in place, we don't want to block off the expansion. In the same vein, try to attach your modules to a port that makes sense. We'll probably have to rearrange some modules around anyways, but as long as there's plenty of docking ports available it won't be an issue.

2a. The same applies for the ground base, always make sure to leave a port open. It's not much of a base if all the modules are just scattered around (rovers may be exempt).

3. Debris - don't leave it behind! More specifically, when you launch your module, have a way of deorbiting any debris. Still, it's not a problem if you're unable to deorbit, as long as you ensure that you terminate its flight before posting the save file. We wouldn't want a random piece of rocket to crash into our awesome builds, after all. Keep those orbits clear!

4. Mods - they are sort of allowed, just not on the final module. It's no problem if you use mods for the launch, as long as whatever you leave behind on the station is built solely from stock parts. This also ties in to the rule above about debris, since we don't want modded parts floating around in orbit.

5. The builds and the order of uploading - please stick with what's been assigned. I don't want to be a jerk about it, but we've got so many people involved in the project that we absolutely need everyone to follow this rule. The order might change depending on the situation, but the builds we're currently working on should be our focus. The project will eventually have stations and ground bases all over the system, so let's take it one step at a time.

6. The recording - your video should be of good audio and visual quality, though that's a given. Let's put a time requirement on it, too, say between 10-30 mins. Most importantly, please talk a bit about the project and your module's intended purpose. Cinematic videos and such are totally cool as well, just make sure to leave a little tidbit at the end with the previously mentioned info.

7. Please post your submission in the other thread. I don't mind if it gets posted here as well, I just want to make sure that the other thread gets the attention it needs. Since it's in the Live from Mission Control sub-forum, it only makes sense that the actual videos get posted there.

Any other info that people are interested in they'd like me to leave here? I think I've covered the basics, but I'll gladly add more if needed, lots of discussion throughout the thread.

Edited by Nauthy
updating info

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24728-International-construction-ISS-in-Kerbal-orbit

This is already being worked on. If you want to start your own version, thats cool to. :)

Ummmm you didn't get it did you.

This is like some sort of youtuber station like the IYSS. Only for smaller channels.

Not the ISS.

:P

Three questions:

1: Can I will join with my 11 subscribers? Youtube

2: Do we have to record

3: Can it be a interplanetary base? (Somewhere with a atmosphere)

Yup, of course you can join in on the fun, and I definitely can't say no to a fellow Canadian. A warm welcome to everyone else as well! Glad to see your interest in this idea. :)

As for recording, well, I don't really want to say no to anyone, so taking screenshots instead would be fine. Still, wouldn't you want people checking out your videos? :P I don't think commentary is needed, nor does it have to be a long video. Either way, its up to you. What do other people think, should recording be a requirement?

And for your third question, that's probably one of the first things we need to figure out, heh. I think our options are pretty much limited to a surface base, an orbiting station, or a large interplanetary vessel. Of course, any other suggestions are welcome. We should probably take a vote once we have enough people on board. That's another thing we need to think about, since it ties into the very important part count. More parts obviously means more lag, so we'll have to keep that really low if there's a lot of modules. Say, 40 parts per module or so?

I love the idea, but i'm not on Youtube just yet, so i won't be joining in sadly. Also because i don't have nearly as much experience in KSP as is probably needed for the further away stations.

I think if you want to go interplanetary, Duna is your best option i think. It seems fun if the possibility for a planetary lander or something similar would be at the space station, or to have some form of maintenance station in orbit were you to go for a planetary base. In short, contact between the planet and space. Eve's atmosphere and gravity well combined is notoriously hard to escape from, and you'll have problems with landing legs and rover wheels. Laythe is a bit far away to preform reliable ferrying operations.

And also, maybe once the Kerbalnaut complex goes live, everyone can send their own Kerbalnaut over to live on the base/station along with their part :-).

Ummmm you didn't get it did you.

This is like some sort of youtuber station like the IYSS. Only for smaller channels.

Not the ISS.

I know, that's why I said if you make your own version that it'd be cool too.

And yes, I know of the IYSS, Scott Manley contributed to it, other wise I might not know of it.

Edited by Mr.Desmond Tiny

Welcome ddavis425 and Holo! I think that brings us up to 6 members now, which should be enough for us to get started. So first thing to decide on is exactly what to build. We've had some awesome ideas so far and as much as I'd like to do all of 'em, sadly we can't...yet! I'll list what we have so far, in order of difficulty, and we can go from there:

- space station in orbit around Kerbin or one of its moons

- ground base on the Mun or Minmus

- interplanetary ship built in Kerbin's orbit...this would have two steps, one where we build the ship and another where we'd take it on a mission. I think there's some potential here for really interesting videos, especially if we give everyone a chance to fly the finished product on their choice of a mission

- surface base on another planet with an orbital facility for travel between the two. Duna would probably be the best bet. I'm a huge fan of this, since it means we can have a lot more modules/parts, as we'd be essentially working on two projects at once. Thanks Spyritdragon for the cool idea, wish you could join us!

- public colonization program, where each person would build their own surface base or add to an existing one, with the end goal of covering the entire solar system. This is a great idea too! And similar to the previous one, it would allow for larger modules and more parts, as well as giving people lots of freedom over what to build. Thanks to Holo for this awesome suggestion!

Any other ideas are welcome! My vote goes for one of the last two, since they'll both allow us to work with more parts and thus we can build some pretty wacky things. Which option from the list do you guys prefer?

I say we wait maybe another day or two before we begin construction, to see if anyone else wants to join in or if there's other ideas. We can then figure out the build order, parts count, and whatever other little things still need to be done.

I'm so excited to see the end result, it looks like we have a decent group of peoples already :)

Any free (and legal) recording programs I could use? I have A YT account but no money to get full fraps or something.

there are several free legal ones but none really are worth the trouble it takes to get them, even if all you do is press download.

Welcome to the party, Cooly568, leax256, and WhiteWeasel! Oh boy, that brings us up to 9 peeps now. We'll give it another day to see if anyone else wants in, more people means more crazy structures!

WhiteWeasel: Yeah, the quality isn't the greatest for the free ones, they leave watermarks, and one of the biggest bummers is that they restrict the length of your recording. I hear the free version of Bandicam isn't too bad, though, and I believe it lets you record up to 10 mins.

Idea: Multiple "Teams" (Only Works with numbers divisible by 2). You would assign teams with a randomizer then we would build two different stations in a Orbit around Kerbin. They would be on the same (Aprox.) orbit but with no chance of hitting eachother.

I like the "teams" idea, it would work well for any project involving more than one structure, be they stations and/or ground bases (though maybe not so much for the public colonization program). It would also give us a bit of friendly competition between the two teams. What does everyone else think? Obviously we'd still need one more person as of right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.