In the spirit of cooperation and competition

Nauthy

I love the idea of having specially named Kerbals up there. I'll definitely go through the files at the end and make sure all of our Kerbal equivalents are on the stations :)

Also, I'm really digging that module design, Spyritdragon. It's cool how neatly everything stacks together. And here I thought Hoojiwana was the only one crazy enough to launch that many tanks at once!

I've also edited the rulelist to add one more concerning the use of mods, since I forgot about that before. As for the next module to go, we've got Rocketscience101 who'll be bringing a sweet telescope to the science station. Spyritdragon will then follow up on the fuel depot.

Edit: Nauthy, my channel should now be live at www.youtube.com/Spyritdragontales. Not 100% sure this is going to be my definitive channel, but this will probably be where i'll upload my video.

On that note, which do you think sounds better: Spyritdragontales or Dragontales Max? (My name is Max, hence the channel name)

Building it got very annoying, since apparently radial attachments only work on your main body. As a result, the bottom horizontal tank is only attached to the central vertical tank. I'm at 28 parts, so i could afford 2 struts there i suppose.

And i will most certainly need a way to use the fuel in those tanks to get to orbit, or i'll have to burn off the excess fuel while on the pad. I'm not experienced enough to lift that amount of top-heavy weight just yet.

So does that mean i wait with launching my module untill Rocketscience has added his part?

Edited by Spyritdragon

And here I thought Hoojiwana was the only one crazy enough to launch that many tanks at once!

My record for LKO is at 487 Mg, with the launcher being just over 3,000 Mg. That's ~200 more than Saturn V!

And i will most certainly need a way to use the fuel in those tanks to get to orbit, or i'll have to burn off the excess fuel while on the pad. I'm not experienced enough to lift that amount of top-heavy weight just yet.

Build your lift system around the payload. I've found 2 orange tanks + a Mainsail (with a pancake tank to stop overheating) makes an excellent booster for huge payload masses. Just build those boosters around the payload in an asparagus'd spiral and you can get all sorts up into LKO.

Actually you're right. With 5 orange tanks for my only payload, i don't really need much staging. Normally fuel tanks are part of the thing that gets me to orbit, so here i'll really be bringing... well, air to orbit :P.

I wonder what happens if i just put two clusters under it and fire it up like that.

This is going to be one wacky mission :P. I might even stream it.

Edit: Nauthy, my channel should now be live at www.youtube.com/Spyritdragontales. Not 100% sure this is going to be my definitive channel, but this will probably be where i'll upload my video.

On that note, which do you think sounds better: Spyritdragontales or Dragontales Max? (My name is Max, hence the channel name)

Sweet, happy to hear that! I'll make sure to update the info on the first page. As for the name, hmm... I'll throw my vote in for the first option :)

So does that mean i wait with launching my module untill Rocketscience has added his part?

Yes please, his module should be going up soon. It'll give ya some more time to work on the booster stage. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, the launch is definitely going to be an interesting one!

Yea, this was an unexpected break :( I PMed Rocketscience last night to see how things are going, but haven't heard back from him yet. So I say we wait one more day, just in case, and then we can have Spyritdragon take care of his module. We can always just combine save files later if both modules happen to go up at the same time.

And I'm in Canadian EST (or EDT? silly timezones...), which should be GMT -4. I'd be interested in watching the stream, KSP failures are so much better when you can laugh at 'em with other people, heh.

Hmm... i'm still in a rather hectic exam period, so i'll have to do it when i can, i.e. most likely somewhere this evening or tomorrow. Today is going to be the easiest day for it for a rather long time, so i'm going to launch this evening most likely. I'm living in Belgium at UTC+1:00. I'll most likely be doing it around 9 o'clock here.

My apologies if this interferes with Rocketsciences module, it just might be hard to find time after today (my exams get more packed together as time goes on, and in about two weeks time i'm going on a two-week vacation in which i won't be able to get onto KSP at all) and i don't want to delay the project too much.

Well, the livestream effectively didn't work :-(. I still got normal video footage though :-).

Sadly, the module is not up yet. It just will not go to spayce. Yet.

I changed the design a little bit, allowing me to get rid of a few radial attachment points. I now have 8 normal ports on it, 6 seniors of which ill be using two to put it on the station, and two junior service ports. 27 parts total at the moment.

It's just got too much top-heavy inertia, and the double asparagus stage flew clean off when i tried to launch it. I'm going to switch to a single asparagus next time i try, which i can strut up better, and else i'll dump the fuel from the module before launch and refuel later.

I need to build more around it. Right now i have a stage around it, but the stage that should get it off the ground is below it, which caused the problems.

This will require revolutionairy craft designs. For me at least :P. I don't have much experience launching things.

Any suggestions are always welcome :-).

Still nothing from Rocketscience :( Hopefully everything's fine on his end, he seemed really pumped to get a module up when I last spoke to him.

Well, the livestream effectively didn't work :-(. I still got normal video footage though :-).

Sadly, the module is not up yet. It just will not go to spayce. Yet.

I changed the design a little bit, allowing me to get rid of a few radial attachment points. I now have 8 normal ports on it, 6 seniors of which ill be using two to put it on the station, and two junior service ports. 27 parts total at the moment.

It's just got too much top-heavy inertia, and the double asparagus stage flew clean off when i tried to launch it. I'm going to switch to a single asparagus next time i try, which i can strut up better, and else i'll dump the fuel from the module before launch and refuel later.

I need to build more around it. Right now i have a stage around it, but the stage that should get it off the ground is below it, which caused the problems.

This will require revolutionairy craft designs. For me at least :P. I don't have much experience launching things.

Any suggestions are always welcome :-).

I was also gonna recommend doing a fuel dump before launching, it will make a difference. How about flipping it on its side, so it sits horizontal? And then build a launch stage with a wide base underneath. It might make it a bit more manageable, as the weight will be more spread out. Of course, a million struts or so will probably still be needed, heh.

just tell me guys when it's my turn

Would you like to go next? It'll give Spyritdragon a bit more time to work out all the kinks with the launch. Up to you guys :)

Would you like to go next? It'll give Spyritdragon a bit more time to work out all the kinks with the launch. Up to you guys :)

Sure, I'm off the next 3 days. might end up streaming it myself.

edit:

I've finished what I'm gonna add.

18 parts

Just need to get it up there. gonna be fun since I'm gonna do it the hard way, with a plane.

maybe gonna be a livestream

further:

I just built my most epic SSTO craft ever to get it up. nothing like overdoing stuff

Edited by leax256

Hello, um... I don't know how to say this but...

I may withdraw my position in this project... Because I'm a Student and my School starts back on the 2nd September. And I don't think that I can effectively participate during school. And my weekends will be filled with homework :(

So regrettably I must withdraw (not yet) if I fail to contribute before 2nd September... :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.