In the spirit of cooperation and competition

Nauthy

Well I am certainly interested, but can we use mods? Obviously, there would have to be an agreed-upon list of mods, Say MechJeb, LLL, Kethane, and KW? I do not care about the amount of mods, really, but I figure that keeping it simple would help everyone involved. Also, I wanna build a base! A mun base would be awesome to start.

I like the "teams" idea, it would work well for any project involving more than one structure, be they stations and/or ground bases (though maybe not so much for the public colonization program). It would also give us a bit of friendly competition between the two teams. What does everyone else think? Obviously we'd still need one more person as of right now.

could be cool. you could do 2 seperate saves then merge them later.

This sounds like it might be interesting. I only have one subscriber and he doesn't even play KSP, but I get a small handful of views on my videos, of which there aren't very many. Making little videos of KSP is pretty fun though, and I'm looking to make a few more.

Might I suggest going stock only, just like the media group IYSS and IYMSS? As for things to do, going with a pass-the-save-file space station or surface-base would be the best option.

Here's a little video I made earlier after trying out Kerbcam.

Hey guys, a warm welcome to our four newest members, ShachonianX, SkyHook, Pluto100, and hoojiwana! And no worries if you don't have a lot of views/subs, we're here to have fun and maybe make the KSP Media Team a bit jealous :) All that other good stuff will come in time.

Well I am certainly interested, but can we use mods? Obviously, there would have to be an agreed-upon list of mods, Say MechJeb, LLL, Kethane, and KW? I do not care about the amount of mods, really, but I figure that keeping it simple would help everyone involved.

Keeping it simple would probably be best, so let's say stock parts only? Maybe for this project we'll stick with stock parts and if/when a bunch of us get together again in the future ('cause I'd love to keep doing this) we can do one with mods as well. I kinda want to say yes to MechJeb, even though I don't use it, because it might be quite helpful. Let's see what everyone else thinks.

Now that we have a good amount of people on board, it's probably time to decide on what to build. I listed most of the ideas we have in a previous post, check 'em out and let us know which you'd prefer. My vote goes for building a station in orbit around a planet that will also have a surface base. This way we can give everyone a chance to pick if they want to work in space or on the ground, and to show off what they can do with a larger module (maybe 60 parts count?). Duna would work for that if we want an atmosphere, but we could always start closer to home and do it on the Mun instead.

As for things to do, going with a pass-the-save-file space station or surface-base would be the best option.

Yeah, agreed. If we stick to just one structure, then passing the file along in a set order would be easiest. If we were to do both a station and base, or two stations, then we could go with "teams" (each with a set line-up) and have two files. Once the first person for each team is done, we can then merge the files and send them along to the next two in line. I've never attempted to merge save files, so I dunno how difficult this'll be. We could also stick with one save file in the latter situation for simplicity's sake.

I'm in too. A space station around Kerbin is probably a good place to start, so we can get a feel for how the group operates. Then, maybe we build one around Duna, or hell - Eeloo.

I say a Kerbin station around 100km altitude will be just fine. If we want to do something else, then we could always do another series afterwards. A part limit per person of 30/40/50 to stop total part count getting out of control would be good as well, and possibly requiring all ASAS on added modules to be detachable so as to not cause multiple ASAS to fight each other with wobble. So the ASAS on your module would actually be attached to the tug that docks it to the station, and then the tug leaves and deorbits itself.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around, had a rough couple of days and haven't gotten much of a chance to get online. Anyways, looks like we have a couple more friends, welcome to Jm419 and esinohio! :)

So far it looks like the general consensus is a station in Kerbin orbit. I'm totally fine with that, since it'll be a great starting point and the project should be done faster than having multiple structures. We can get together again afterwards for more advanced stuff! I know there's people that want to work on ground stuff, though, so maybe we can equip the station with rovers and landers? Of course, we'd also need some transfer modules to send them to the Mun or Minmus.

As for parts count, I'll make the executive decision now and say 40 parts max. This should be enough to give you some freedom with your build and to keep the lag at a minimum. When we decide on the build order, though, we need to keep in mind that the people going towards the end will have some lag issues. So if you're not comfortable with docking in that situation, let us know, we'll work around it :)

possibly requiring all ASAS on added modules to be detachable so as to not cause multiple ASAS to fight each other with wobble. So the ASAS on your module would actually be attached to the tug that docks it to the station, and then the tug leaves and deorbits itself.

I really like this suggestion, that wobble tends to get a little ridiculous, and if we have 14 ASAS modules on there...yea...

How does everyone feel about doing it to kick off .21? I sense that it is coming soon...

I'm cool with that, though we should set a cut-off date just in case 0.21 is delayed for a while. We'll still need a bit of time to finalize all the decisions as to what we're building and whatnot, so let's say Sunday next week (July 7th)? I know we're all pretty anxious to start workin' on this asap, I don't wanna push it back too much.

Sounds good to me. At a rough guess I would say 0.21 is going to be a couple of weeks, maybe more. I don't mind going later on in the order, my PC can handle high part counts fairly well. And I don't mind recording with lowered delta physics either.

Sounds good to me. At a rough guess I would say 0.21 is going to be a couple of weeks, maybe more. I don't mind going later on in the order, my PC can handle high part counts fairly well. And I don't mind recording with lowered delta physics either.

I get crappy FPS on a good day. I should probably be fairly high up on the build order.

And let's make it 200k, so we're outside the render distance of Kerbin. 175k minimum, I'd think, considering Kerbin renders at about 159k

IDEA: All modules MUST have 2 docking ports on and the modules must have a "Use"

I don't think that's nessecary. As long as the core module has plenty of ports to attach to, and people take a look at the station as it stands before adding their component, things should be okay. As long as people are responsible for not filling up every docking port, and add any extra if the need arises.

What exactly do you mean by modules having a use?

As far as lag is conserned I thing we should post our system specs and let the ones with slower PCs go first.

I have an AMD Phenom II 3.8 GHz, 8GB 1333 ram, radeon 7770 GHz.

I would be able to be one of the last ones with little problem.

IDEA: All modules MUST have 2 docking ports on and the modules must have a "Use"

We should probably standardize docking port sizes, too. Nothing's more irritating than trying to dock to a Junior with a Standard when you thought they were both the same size. I vote standard size ports for the external ports - IE, on docking rings, or the fuel tanks - anything a spacecraft is intended to dock to. Large size for the station, obviously.

I assume I was accepted, I never got a quote :P

Of course, buddy! :D

It's probably not a bad idea, though I'm guessing most modules will end up with at least 2 docking ports anyways, one to attach to the station and one on the other end. And as long as people get creative with their builds, I'm sure we can pretend the module has a use, even if it's just there to look shiny.

We should probably standardize docking port sizes, too. Nothing's more irritating than trying to dock to a Junior with a Standard when you thought they were both the same size. I vote standard size ports for the external ports - IE, on docking rings, or the fuel tanks - anything a spacecraft is intended to dock to. Large size for the station, obviously.

Agreed. Large ports for the station and standard size for everything else makes sense. Screw those junior ports :P

As for the lag issue, I can definitely go later in the order, my PC's pretty beefy and will be able to handle it.

We should call our collective self "The Unknown"...just cause.

That's the first suggestion for a name, I like it! I didn't even think about what we should call ourselves, heh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.