Spiritwolf/Hanland Submissions

In the last 14 pages there are less than 10 actual Laythe capable submissions. It seems to be more a discussion thread than a submission thread

The journey to Laythe takes time and the telemetry data coming over the radio waves isn't instant. Next communication window is in 17 days.

I've been working on some base concepts: Currently one fighter design, one destroyer drone, one "Capital ship", two stations, and one landed base which is currently a WIP.

The idea I had when designing this company is that I honestly don't care who wins and who loses in this series- all that matters is whether or not it's good to watch. So, this company is up for grabs. They're a mercenary company called the Fifth Horizon, arrogant as hell, but for good reason, and smart enough to know that fighting for the highest bidder isn't as good as fighting for the side that will pay when the war is over. Their priorities are Survival --> Victory --> Loyalty in that order. Their vessel range and capabilities are only as limited as their wages, and they're always willing to go one step further than their opponents.

All of the following ships are orbit capable, and many have made the trip to Tylo. It's a waste of time proving that until the update, because save files will be lost and I'll just have to do it again, but believe me, I've gone everywhere in KSP, flying these things just takes a little bit of know-how.

The Notus

The ships I've designed have a fairly simple philosophy: simplistic base design and attachments. My most effective ship, the Notus, is only about 200 parts. It's drone tech, minimalistic, and it's the front line unit. It takes two pilots to remotely fly, one to handle the stick and the other to handle the subsystems.

uVcXsTP.jpg

i9W9IJR.jpg

Underneath the hood: With everything that can be detached detached, the Notus can reach up to 4.5k dV. It has one medium SRB missile (I call them crashers) and three pairs of the small probe engine torpedoes (I call them trundlers due to their low rate of acceleration). All are incredibly accurate up to and greater than 500m. They all use staging to fire, facilitating decouplers, but can be reloaded using docking ports. This holds true for all 'dumb missiles' and torpedoes I've designed.

It also comes with two support ships; the fuel cell is required to safely reach Jool, but with it the Notus can go from Kerbin-->Jool-->Tylo-->Laythe (fire weapons)-->Return to Tylo. This includes all maneuvers. Keep in mind: to launch this ship you need a lot of technical know-how. Terminal velocity at various altitudes, how to ease pressure off of parts by adjusting throttle, careful staging and impeccable gravity turns.

pZbIZJT.jpg

The fuel cell attaches using the Docking Port Sr. the Notus has between its rear engines. the orientation is irrelevant so proper docking takes minimal effort, not to mention it comes with a small tug dubbed the 'Cygni'.

Z1FugFv.jpg

The second support vessel is a reload. It has enough dV to orbit Tylo and is very easy to pilot. The low part counts of these vessels means it's incredibly easy to deal with potential framerate issues and many of these can be loaded at once in the same place.

Second, we have a low-range figher vessel designed for intercept and orbital defense:

The Toruk

Fifth Horizon doesn't like sending out their own crew to fight, not to mention this ship on its own has only about 1.1k dV, but it's fast and its weapon system is surprisingly deadly at medium ranges.

DdMaNia.jpg

4FLr5is.jpg

The rear docking port can host a number of attachments. I currently have an interplanetary driver with enough dV to get anywhere in the solar system and back.

WLI68s2.jpg

Works in progress: Ion drives, armor plating attachment

yO70iKH.jpg

Lastly the reload, which comes with two 'bolt' missiles, a medium girder with two SR separators, packing an astounding punch. It's torn ships like the Vanguard in half with one volley, due to kinetic energy alone. The part's high crash resistance means that it won't just combust upon impact, but pierce through heavy armor, either breaking it off and leaving fuel tanks exposed, or blasting straight through the plating and destroying what's underneath. The drones on the sides are called 'medula' hunter torpedoes, and are in need of significant reworking. They're effective but their thrust isn't properly balanced at the moment, leaving them prone to missing by a few meters.

Next I have two stations:

Verna Station

It contains docking, fuel, habitation and storage for all possible Fifth Horizon vehicles.

S9BGtne.jpg

In fact, I have docked everything to it before.

kGRMg0x.png

It has to be taken up in 3(+4) parts. The main habitation, power core and central docking hub in the center, the two external hangars, and the four fuel tankers.

Each hangar bay has a command cupola module for two kerbals, one Notus, and two Toruks. If you recall, it takes two kerbals to pilot a Notus, and the station's configuration in this regard is intentional. I may redesign it to have two separate hangars in opposing sides of Tylo for the purposes of part count.

Plans are to place this at a 300k orbit around Tylo.

Bulwark Station

A simplistic harbor for utility attachments or reloads

4U6TlDe.jpg

It goes up in one piece, detaches its driver and hangs at a 200k orbit. This will allow for easy Hohmann transfer rendezvous between Verna Station and it. It will likely have a Cygni tug or five attached to it at any given time.

The current plans are to have two Notii (Notus Vortex and Notus Stormwalker) four Toruks (Orius, Centauri, Nesio and Carnon) docked to the Verna Horizon Station, up to three equidistant Bulwark stations, and potentially six bases in six different locations, landed at Tylo's Poles, and on the four equidistant horizons. I was considering launching a sattelite array, but this IS stock only and the bases would make the game seem less cluttered.

Lastly there's the Maelstrom, which is my only ship I haven't put in orbit yet. I'm not sure if I like it or not. It has port and starboard missiles I've been working on, as well as two pairs of 'crash' missiles like the Notus'. It is drone-powered but it can carry all four kerbals I'm planning on taking.

MZtkIHO.jpg

Currently over-part limit by 30, but it is kind of spectacular in a robot-whale-with-cannons kind of way.

7Tqd2Yp.jpg

Both it and the Notus have removable armor plating that covers exposed joints and internals until it is ready to fire. The pair of four missiles on the sides fire Starboard(Aft-->Fore)-->Port(Aft-->Fore) in series, rather than barrage. The stages can be modified for barrage, however.

The only thing that your cannon has that is better than mine is the fact that it has less debris (and maybe because it can shoot its spend separators, too).

Mine's Superior in:

• Being light weight
  • Very low or no fuel consumption (if the spent cartridge deflectors are not used)
  • Higher damage (5 separator version)
  • Compactness

:)

I never said the M.A.C was better but come to think of it(why did you bring this up anyway)

-Cheaper

-less parts

-mine is actually more compact

-anything can be used as a projectile

-how heavy are 18 of yours anyway

-40 tons is the whole craft

-do you have a ship that carries them yet

-yours jams you said it yourself

Let's see:

• Actually, they cost about the same
  • Anything can have some trusses attached to them (which will allow me to add separators)
  • 18 shots weigh 6.75 tons and that is all that is required to shot (doesn't need a rocket to shoot with).
  • With a 8.5 ton cannon and manoeuvring system, the total mass with the Laythe stage is about 25 tons.
  • Since the whole system weighs 9.5 tons with 12 shots and manoeuvring system, it can be carried by a simple rocket that will be jettisoned later.
  • And lastly, it doesn't jam with its spent cartridge deflection system. :)

Also, I can shoot those engines off.

Edit: I should only shoot off one engine, and then I can laugh at your ship as it spins around in circles when ever you they to use the engines. :D

Edited by Giggleplex777

(still wondering why you brought this up)

-35000 compared to 22000

-again PLATE ARMOR!

-how close would you be,Its like shooting the command pod off the vulture

-I can shoot those decouplers

-78 parts compared to 159

-leave the discussion be.

It costs 21000.

Whoa whoa WHOA guys, it's just submissions for Macey, there's no need to go at each others throats before Macey himself makes our ships go at each other's throats.

Each of us has his own opinion on how a "practical" ship should be, it may not necessarily make it "better" than any others out there.

After all, this is the Internet, what one person agrees on a hundred others will object.

Plus, KSP has never been meant for you to fly up and shoot stuff down in the first place, it's just a branch that we decided to adopt.

That first line is becoming my new signature

It did escalate quickly.(Didn`t start it)

EDIT:On another note I`ve finished polishing my ships so if anyone wants some help wrapping up just ask.

Edited by Spartwo

Is anyone else working on Aid ships or is everyone making warships?

The KerbComm KC-17 "Modular Inter-planetary Hauler" is a simple and sturdy vessel designed to carry whatever assorted payloads customers need to distant planetary bodies and is one of the most successful products in the KerbComm range. This particular KC-17, dubbed the Arsenal, is being used as a re-arming ship for the standard Spiritwolf ammunition, and has been loaded up to its maximum rated payload mass. While KerbComm is not known for military presence, the weapons on-board are not actually owned or produced by KerbComm, so they are looking the other way.

The arsenal is loaded with 4 hades rounds, 8 standard fighter torpedoes, 32 standard fighter rockets and 12 prototype octo-rockets. This quantity of ammunition is enough to wage a decent length war of attrition, provided the enemy doesn't manage to destroy the Arsenal before it offloads all its payload. Additionally, when it has expended the onboard ammunition, the various docking ports allow it to continue serving as a utility vehicle, given the large remaining onboard fuel supply.

g0vaVr8.jpg

ZrwgDmU.png

HP3SrnS.png

Full launch documentation: http://imgur.com/a/Eevwz

Arsenal (341 parts): http://www./download/il69rxjqk27xoec/Arsenal.craft

Arsenal lite (253 parts): http://www./download/bl3rmxu36im34do/Arsenal_Lite.craft

Edited by itisdearflinch

Is anyone else working on Aid ships or is everyone making warships?

What are my Sentinels, cotton candy?

EDIT:

Well... I guess it would look like a fighter, if you pretended the 8 probes were mines and the two rovers glorified missiles...

vvOMOmr.jpg

Outdated picture, the latest build's MK16R9, where I added wheels to the two "care packages" in front, along with fixing a decoupler explosion.

Edited by Mygnol

Speaking of which, you might want to edit your earlier post with images from the successful mission unless you have any truly major changes before you are ready to release.

I'll re-release the whole thing along with (hopefully) a world file when 0.21 rolls out.

For now, I'm just going to tweak it here and there.

The proof-of-travel is not really a big deal, I haven't changed the Sentinel design much.

And thanks to you, proof-of-travel isn't much of a problem either.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.