United Launch Alliance

BlazingAngel665

Is the engine separate from the tank? It should be possible to choose between RS-27 and RS-27A. The only difference would be the nozzle size and expansion ratio.

Also, don't forget that it had two vernier engines for roll control, in addition to the gimbal. All Thor derivatives (and Thor itself, too) had them.

mars.jpg

You can see the two circular, red caps covering the verniers.

Oh, and get in touch with BlazingAngel. He was making the whole set of GEM SRBs, including GEM-40s and GEM-46s. Which means you'd only have to make Castor 4A boosters.

Edited by Guest

Engine is seperate, only modeled RS-27A. RS-27 isn't too much different, not really worth modelling a second engine. Plus, I'm busy with the CSS! But, I guess what I have to do, is rotate the static section of the engine for the RS-27, so the vernier engines are put on opposite sides. I didn't know it had two vernier engines! I'll see if I can find some pictures of it!

Is Blazing Angels modelling them 1:1?

Looking at his previous Delta IV, he seems to be. They'll later be scaled down to 64% using a rescale factor. I think they will fit well, his Delta IV is made quite precisely. For RS-27, I agree that it isn't much different, but that's exactly what should make it easy to model. Just change the nozzle dimensions (shrink the base and shorten the entire nozzle a bit), I can help you with the configs.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Delta_II_second_stage.jpg

http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_2/United_States_5/Delta_II/Gallery/DeltaII_2.htm

Here's some more, also with different nozzles for GEMs visible. Note that 3 of them had longer nozzles with a much wider base, because they were air-ignited and operated at a higher altitude.

http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_2/United_States_5/Delta_II/Description/Frame.htm

Perhaps the only good shots of Delta II 6000-series. Note that differences in nozzle size are smaller. Castor IVAs burn shorter than GEMs, so the second group of SRBs ignites at a lower altitude.

Edited by Guest

More good news:

The Delta IV is being remade. Gees, where do you guys organize your coordinated assaults on modders? The GEMs are being done right now. The DCSS is being redone in high poly. Do me a favor actually, post this in the thread so everyone knows.

Working on the vernier engines now! Here's another teaser!

http://i.imgur.com/Y69vntI.png

Finding images of these, and the second stage is proving challenging. If anyone wants to send me links to good pictures, shoot me a PM!

OMG if I could render models like that, I'd never sleep.

Alas, I can't even make a straight line in Paint"

• 2 months later...

I haven't heard anything from him. I'll assume that RL has gotten in the way, which is fine.

But, I've rebuilt Delta IV, Delta II, and Atlas V. If anyone's decent with texturing and moving it through unity, I'd be more than happy to just send them this massive .blend file that I have...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Awesome! Did you make GEM-60 boosters for Delta IV? Also how about making another, smaller core stage and the Dual Engine Centaur for Atlas III? That's literally all it'd take. Also, could you make Centaur RCS blocks and Atlas retrorockets? Centaur had 12 RCS nozzles (dunno where, I'll try to find some info), including some pointing aft. Atlas had ATK solid motors (IIRC, of Star series, it's mentioned in the catalogue), I think they were mounted on the intertank (about halfway through the fuel tank).

• 2 weeks later...

Have you seen BA around? Nope. Dolin agreed to convert the models, though, but only after 16th. Unless Blazing Angel comes back, you're in for a wait.

Ehh, if BA comes back, that's cool! I'd be more than happy to work with him! But, since Dolin has agreed to do the Unity legwork, that's awesome too!

Just have to wait patiently for Dolin to be available again!!!

Until then! Screenshots?

Delta III

aW0CS0R.png

Atlas III

wRdTj7Y.png

Delta II

1qCxl7C.png

Atlas V

IlhBnJw.png

Edited by CluelessModeler
Names in the right place

Chimer's Atlas is no longer maintained. Also, it's Centaur lacks extendable nozzles, which is precisely the reason we want to replace it.

Nope, Centaur also has an extendable nozzle. RL-10A-4 was already equipped with it, though the extension is much smaller than on RL-10B-2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.