Storm1

What is the most fun part of KSP?  

1. 1. What is the most fun part of KSP?

• Long term spaceplane missions
    • Short term spaceplane missions
    • Landing on planets
    • EVA
    • Rocket launches and fooling around inside Kerbin's atmosphere

Dreaming the "reach for the stars dream"; set foot on other worlds, even if it is only virtual. A lot of the story is going on in imagination. The game is like Lego, it is like a novel, one may write one's own cartoonish, kerbalish and epic space faring history.

I will never leave earth physically, as I am to old, not fit enough. But my mind can leave earth. And when I play KSP, my mind is on the Moon, on Mars, in orbit around Venus, in my imagination, I touch down on Europa and Titan, I watch the sparkle of the Sun from Charon. I dream of expanding borders of mankind. I dream of the rumbling thunder from thousands of kN under my seat. I dream of hoovering over Saturn's Rings, of weightless existence between the stars.

That is my fun in KSP.

Landing on planets and moons never gets old. I've only succesfully landed on Mun, Minmus, Eve, Ike, Duna and Laythe. So much left to do.

I try to make my missions "realistic", so it complicates things a bit. I can't just send a small pod to interplanetary space, it has to be a huge transfer vehicle.

I would have loved to answer your poll, but you didn't include "designing and building rockets" or "long-term rocket missions". :( "Rocket launches and fooling around inside Kerbin's atmosphere" doesn't quite fit what I enjoy best!

Some of the challenges of figuring out why interplanetary rocket designs tend to become hard to fly for no apparent reason. (Major Yo Yo spinning after staging is one example.) Being able to rescue the Kerbals without an escape system when a rocket goes out of control. I just hit X to shut it down and eject the offending stages. If needed, the upper stage can be used for deorbiting.

Add, designing rockets is missing. The challenge, design the simplest rocket that can get the job done.

yah, tweaking those dastardly contraptions to the point they no longer fall apart before reaching orbit (or whereever you want to send them to).

And maybe, just maybe, at one point figuring out how to get a return mission to the surface of Duna and Eve to pick up the Kerbals that I've stranded there inadvertently (well, semi-inadvertently on Eve, I'd not expected him to survive, on Duna I'd not expected them to be unable to lift off again).

Sending my brave kosmonauts on EVA! I design all sorts of stuff to help my kerbals get around in space or low-grav moons. Of course, now I have a fair few kerbals stranded around the Mun as a result of running out of monoprop/electricity/oxygen, but that's where the fun is for me!

A couple have mentioned it. Design. I will spend hours building something to see if I can get it to achieve orbit, or land, or whatever specific goal I am tying to meet and after that, I rarely touch that craft again. I'll just think up something else and go build it.

Actually, I'm more interested in building ships and stations in-orbit. They don't have to land anywhere, just derp around the system for as long as they can. There's not a selection for that.

Design and exploration, most definitely. I spend quite a bit of time researching conceptual spacecraft designs that did not make it off the proverbial drawing board. If they seem feasible enough, I'll try to build a KSP version of them and see if they would have worked. Then I'll attempt to fix design flaws and further refine them if possible. Then of course there's the fun challenge of working on original designs.

When you spend 3 hours on building, testing and reconfiguring an expansion to your low orbit space station, then spend another hour getting the unwieldy craft docked, only to watch as some part randomly detaches once you manage it.

Then as you undock the delivery vehicle, the entire assembly explodes with enough force to turn low kerbal orbit into a debris strewn death zone for decades to come. GG ksp.

For me, it is finding out that I made a mistake, and having to find a way to fix it. For instance, I recently stranded a command module in orbit, about one tenth of the way to Jool, with no propulsion. Now I must fix it, which is going to be difficult, because I have to do EVERYTHING without aerobraking much, and as fast as possible due to propellant boiloff (or I can do it entirely with the few engines that support LF/O, but I don't want to do that if I can avoid it, as LF/O is pretty much universally the worst configuration with Modular Fuel Tanks, lowest ISP and lower thrust than the more efficient and powerful LF/LOX).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.