[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

In the VAB, hinges are attached correctly:

http://i.imgur.com/oxu5nBR.jpg?1

On the launchpad:

http://i.imgur.com/IUffjO6.jpg?1

Beams are now turned around 180 degrees, with the hinge sections separated until the hinges are motored to extend the beams. Beams with dishes remain turned the wrong way when deployed.

Are these the hinges that are not yet updated/fixed?

This is a BETA release for people I test. Stuff Is goin to be broken. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't it's the nature of this "release" and it is certainly not for production work yet.

i'm not trying to be mean here but if you find a bug please post pictures and or craft files (like sirkut has already said) if you do this then the bugs will be ironed out very quickly (or at least quicker to find)

please don't post "this doesn't work cuz i putted it here and it goes there" it's not very helpful :/ if you go back a few posts you'll see lots of people have posted pictures (explaining what is wrong with one sentence) and also included craft files... i thought this was a great idea and would like to see it used instead of half a million people posting "this bugs out" or "this is buggy... is this really fixed?" it's a beta... B.E.T.A.

sorry for that lil rant also how do i get the dromoman parts working? i got them ingame now do i just install your plugin or is there a .cfg edit i have to download too?

I didn't include the dromoman items due to licensing but all you have to do to get them to work is edit the rotateAxis value where there is a 1 make it a zero and place the 1 in one I the two other placeholders. ie. rotateAxis = 0,0,1 make it 1,0,0 and see what it does. If it's wrong do 0,1,0 and save the cfg(you will need to reload the database at the space center menu by alt f12 going to database and click reload) if you are unsure just restart your game.

I didn't include the dromoman items due to licensing but all you have to do to get them to work is edit the rotateAxis value where there is a 1 make it a zero and place the 1 in one I the two other placeholders. ie. rotateAxis = 0,0,1 make it 1,0,0 and see what it does. If it's wrong do 0,1,0 and save the cfg(you will need to reload the database at the space center menu by alt f12 going to database and click reload) if you are unsure just restart your game.

ah so it's "throw it at the wall and see what sticks" eh? ok ok i'll be back with my findings to let other people know.

EDIT: got it working! thanks! but i'm encountering the same problem as the other guys perivously stated. if you have multiple rotatrons (or rotahubs in this case) instead of rotating at their joint they rotate as if the joint is in the middle of the two rotatrons (i'll get pics up tomorrow but thanks alot for what you've done and what your continuing to do!)

Edited by AntiMatter001

After so long lurking around, I finally had to create an account just to try and help out with this wonderful mod. I looked around since you posted the beta and haven't found anything regarding telescopic piston of 1/4 size.

Every telescopic piston seems to work fine though.

Here goes what I've found.

Here I have a series of tests I ran with the different pistons in their starting position.

mev10m1l.png

Next I extended all of them under the same group.

To7ZX6Bl.png

In the front middle pod I have all the three 1/4 pistons individually. The middle piston (1/4 A section) and right piston (1/4 B section) appear to extend backwards while the C section shows to work fine.

You can also see the same behavior in the test behind it trying to push up the parachute with the A, B and C pistons on top of each other, where the A and B actually go backwards just having C push it up. This is reproduced without the parachute on the right hand side.

I've tried to reproduce this under different circumstances having the same thing happening.

Craft file here.

Edited by Legola

ah so it's "throw it at the wall and see what sticks" eh? ok ok i'll be back with my findings to let other people know.

EDIT: got it working! thanks! but i'm encountering the same problem as the other guys perivously stated. if you have multiple rotatrons (or rotahubs in this case) instead of rotating at their joint they rotate as if the joint is in the middle of the two rotatrons (i'll get pics up tomorrow but thanks alot for what you've done and what your continuing to do!)

No need for that one. I know exactly what you mean. If it's a single robotic part it will work but combined it gets really screwy. Fun fact. If you take a non robotic part and put it between two robotic parts it will work "mostly."

lol, I see there's been a few downloads of the pogo stick craft! Just fyi, you need to set the speed setting to around 30 (or more, its your kerbal that's going to die), then hit action group 1 which is set to return the pistons to fully retracted. Then you have to try to balance it while hitting 9 (or was it 0) at the right moment to bounce.

I've done some more testing with a craft I had built before, a heavy lift orbiter that has a metric crap-ton of IR parts and a whole load of other mods (B9_Aerospace, KAS, KSPX, KWRocketry, MechJeb2, NovaPunch2, RemoteTech2).

This is the craft at launch

i6JWwgOl.jpg

The orbiters main engines are mounted on hinges which are set inside the body of the craft and its not a standard setup. The are radially set on SAS modules, but so they are inside the module, then the engine connects so the hinge is inside it, this is so the pivot point is not right at the end of the engine. Anyway, point is that odd setup still works perfectly.

There is also a hinge that folds the walkway out of the way at lift off. This hinge drops when the craft is loaded onto the runway. I forgot to get a scr-shot of that one before launch.

The other main component with IR parts is the Orbiters arm. We know the hydraulic cylinders don't work so I won't say anything about that. Right the hinges, interesting.... The arm has 3 hinges and a rotator at either end. The first hinge has problems and seems to have a false pivot point. As it rotates it moves away from its base part. The other 2 hinges work as they should as do the rotatrons.

Close up of the first hinge;

lb3bhFZl.jpg

Rest of the arm, showing the other hinges working as they should;

PYRNFyvl.jpg

Ok so that's kinda preamble (sorry for being long winded).

I transferred just the Orbiters arm (without its KAS parts) into my stock test install and attached it to a lander can. It behaved in exactly the same way, the initial hinge was distorted and the other two worked fine.

lfYyKZkl.jpg

I then moved the arm so it the first hinge was directly attached to the lander can and presto, all hinges working as intended;

nwEe3nSl.jpg

Now here's where it gets interesting; I've recently have had issues with the small strut cube and that was the part the first hinge was attached to, so I wondered if these pesky little cubes had something to do with it. So I attached the arm to another small cube (directly on the lander can, not to the rotator as before). The instant the craft loaded the arm jumped to one side and was embedded in the middle of the can, its base part still attached to the cube.

OQtiSItl.jpg

To confirm that the small cube was the cause of this I then attached the arm to an M-beam, this worked correctly, just like when the hinge was directly attached to the can.

y7i5yVtl.jpg

The next test was to mount the hinge directly to the rotator. This resulted in the hinge being offset right from the start (so this is slightly different to how the cube makes it behave).

4JhNrfpl.jpg

I then used a large strut section in-between the hinge and the rotator and all the hinges worked correctly.

h83bvDnl.jpg

The interesting thing about the small strut cube is that it has no physics significance. Neither does the octagonal strut so I tried that too. That has the same effect of making the arm jump into the middle of the lander can.

So at this point I was thinking that the lack of a physics significance might have something to do with the issues. But that isn't the whole story. I tried a number of other parts that do have a physics significance. The not-rockomax cube shows what I found the best. The closer to the rotator the hinge is mounted the more it distorts. When attached to the top of the cube it works fine, when attached to the side it is offset by a small amount.

gjSUU4jl.jpg848HeUQl.jpg

So (again apols for being long winded) my conclusion; attaching hinges to parts that don't have a physics significant causes the hinge to malfunction. Directly attaching hinges to rotators also has issues and that the distance the hinge is from the rotator is a factor. With the same part between a hinge and a rotator, the hinge will malfunction when near the rotator and work correctly when its a certain distance away from it.

Another un-related observation about hinges is that quicksaving and loading does really bad things! the hinge gets distorted and is bent at a very different angle to how it was when the save was made. It's pivot point however seems to stay in the same place, but its notion of its central position will now be set to the angle it was at when the save was made.

I know you know some of this already, but maybe this will add some light on something, possibly, maybe!

I don't even know if my previous posts are going to show up... But I kept fiddling with the telescopic pistons and found out I know nothing.

I'm not certain how to reproduce the thing that makes the pistons extend backwards, some times it happens and sometimes it works fine.

Posting the pictures in an album here: http://imgur.com/a/gFFSt

Craft

In this test I was able to get the 1/2 and 1/4 pistons to work fine on all 4 different tests, however the big piston only worked once of 5 tests I did. It's important for me to mention that every piston set is a copy.

lol, I see there's been a few downloads of the pogo stick craft! Just fyi, you need to set the speed setting to around 30 (or more, its your kerbal that's going to die), then hit action group 1 which is set to return the pistons to fully retracted. Then you have to try to balance it while hitting 9 (or was it 0) at the right moment to bounce. etc etc etc etc

Nope. This is exactly what I need to see. Thank you a TON!

No need for that one. I know exactly what you mean. If it's a single robotic part it will work but combined it gets really screwy. Fun fact. If you take a non robotic part and put it between two robotic parts it will work "mostly."

I know what you mean by mostly... Or I simply don't know what makes Pistons work because they're looking like a gamble right now! Which is kind of funny. :P

85ulwuol.png

aVqrimQl.png

Good to see the new update.

I've make some tests with modifications. Test craf from ObsessedWithKSP.

After more deeper source investigations and unity docs smoking i've found one of mistake, we cannot just substract or sum anchor and connectedAnchor vectors, bc they are in different spaces local spaces, anchor is a joint.RiggidBody local and connectedAnchor is a joint.connectetBody space. The thing i don't understand is why rotating models have sometimes has different behavior on anchor positionint than translating models. Maybe its its models problem, but i dont have models sources, so cant test it, or it's ksp scene import behavior.

After so long lurking around, I finally had to create an account just to try and help out with this wonderful mod. I looked around since you posted the beta and haven't found anything regarding telescopic piston of 1/4 size.

Every telescopic piston seems to work fine though.

Here goes what I've found.

Here I have a series of tests I ran with the different pistons in their starting position.

http://i.imgur.com/mev10m1l.png

Next I extended all of them under the same group.

http://i.imgur.com/To7ZX6Bl.png

In the front middle pod I have all the three 1/4 pistons individually. The middle piston (1/4 A section) and right piston (1/4 B section) appear to extend backwards while the C section shows to work fine.

You can also see the same behavior in the test behind it trying to push up the parachute with the A, B and C pistons on top of each other, where the A and B actually go backwards just having C push it up. This is reproduced without the parachute on the right hand side.

I've tried to reproduce this under different circumstances having the same thing happening.

Craft file here.

This happens if parts in SRF_ATTACH attachMode revert it's translate/rotate axises. That i don't understand for now. We can simply revert axis for for SRF_ATTACH but its weird xD

They should be in the tree. And if they aren't, just use sandbox. This is NOT a release you want to use in an actual game you care about.

Right i understand that, but i have a back up of my career. If it works great, ill continue on. If it does not then ill just reload.

Edited by viperwolf

Right i understand that, but i have a back up of my career. If it works great, ill continue on. If it does not then ill just reload.

Well as I said they should be there. I think they're mostly (if not all) under Advanced Construction.

Well as I said they should be there. I think they're mostly (if not all) under Advanced Construction.

ok ill check that. maybe i missed it.

In the bit of the cfg that has the Title, Description and everything, the editor parameters, add the following:

TechRequired = XXXXXXX
entryCost = YYYY

Replace XXXXXX with whatever node you want the part unlocked at, and YYYY with a number from 0 to a bajillion.

Thank you for this. I appreciate both your help.

I've tried multiple stock parts, but they still pop at times. I did notice that the hydro arm and the VTOL are still rotating/translating on wrong axis/in wrong translation, which is a simple fix. Here is the craft, if you want to try it out.

http://www./view/4ky7qb2km2a7trg/Craft.craft

Oh, and apparently, the 23.5 patch was released as well. Just an FYI.

Edited by Deceptus

Oh, and apparently, the 23.5 patch was released as well. Just an FYI.

Um...what? That's what all this testing is about...fixing IR so that it works with 0.23.5.

Speaking of which, sorry for not posting but I haven't actually found anything that hasn't already been covered. >.<

Edited by phoenix_ca

Um...what? That's what all this testing is about...fixing IR so that it works with 0.23.5.

Speaking of which, sorry for not posting but I haven't actually found anything that hasn't already been covered. >.<

What he means is Squad released a hotfix to 0.23.5

There's another one?

Asteroid Redirect Mission (v0.23.5.460+) HOTFIX

Bug Fixes:

* Fixed an issue with loading existing games, which would cause scenario modules (like R&D) to not load properly.

* Fixed an issue which caused Kerbals on EVA to become unresponsive after resuming a save.