[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

...I'd rather it was driven by a very different method involving action groups rather than key presses, as thats a bit archaic by now being from way before action groups existed. Since Vector Engine mod its now possible to drive controls properly via action group key set up. And I'd like to give it a try in the near future and see if I can modify this mod to run by action groups with no GUI ingame whatsoever...

While having the ability to move parts via AG's could be a good thing, I know some of my contraptions NEED to have separate on screen GUI as there would not be enough AG's.

While having the ability to move parts via AG's could be a good thing, I know some of my contraptions NEED to have separate on screen GUI as there would not be enough AG's.

I have to say giving people more control is usually preferable to less control.

Well, thats why I'm suggesting a different plugin, not to change the existing one. I've always massively hated putting anymore interface on screen than I really need. Thats why none of mods have any whatsoever. Messes with the Immersion imo.

Just doing some testing with it I see there is some action group functionality in here already, but it doesn't work how I'd like. What I have in mind is Key hold driven, not key press toggle.

Sirkut, wonderful thing you've done to bring Damned Robotics back .. better still in a cut down way thats actually readable codewise compared to the full mechjeb package.

However, the mechjeb servo module has never ran how I'd have liked it to. I'd rather it was driven by a very different method involving action groups rather than key presses, as thats a bit archaic by now being from way before action groups existed. Since Vector Engine mod its now possible to drive controls properly via action group key set up. And I'd like to give it a try in the near future and see if I can modify this mod to run by action groups with no GUI ingame whatsoever.

Would you allow permission to do this, or am I best asking r4mon? (or both of you I guess?)

I wasn't aware sirkut worked on MechJeb, and R4m0n is kind of AWOL these days so good luck getting ahold of him

Sirkut, wonderful thing you've done to bring Damned Robotics back .. better still in a cut down way thats actually readable codewise compared to the full mechjeb package.

However, the mechjeb servo module has never ran how I'd have liked it to. I'd rather it was driven by a very different method involving action groups rather than key presses, as thats a bit archaic by now being from way before action groups existed. Since Vector Engine mod its now possible to drive controls properly via action group key set up. And I'd like to give it a try in the near future and see if I can modify this mod to run by action groups with no GUI ingame whatsoever.

Would you allow permission to do this, or am I best asking r4mon? (or both of you I guess?)

Well you can do whatever you want just the usual credit for r4mon and myself would be fine. One of the things I do plan on adding is a hide GUI option and support for better action groups. The Move+, Move Center, and Move- action groups currently act weird and they need to be fixed.

I don't think he did, I think he just updated the code to be 0.21 compatible.

Correction. Although I did update it to 0.21, I added sound support, and added a lock mechanism that prevents a part from moving, and added an action group for the locking mechanism. :)

Technically, isn't it not MechJeb servos, but MuMech? Also, I think the lock doesn't work on the freebearing ring, based on my testing :/

Free moving washer doesn't lock. I haven't removed it from the action group/menu.

@Sirkut: It's not possible to engage/disengage lock at the moment through action groups, or at least it's not working for me.

Could you add this option, my contraption depends on locking and unlocking with multiple action group keys. It would take ages to lock every part separately.

Redownloaded the mod and replaced the whole folder, now it seems to work.

Redownloaded the mod and replaced the whole folder, now it seems to work.

That's because I somehow removed the code that did the action key. :) Depending on what version you got I just updated it to 0.3 to include hiding the GUI.

Alright, thanks for the quick update. :)

Edit: Tried the hide menu through right clicking a MSI part, but menu doesn't disappear.

Though, it does work if you bind it through an action group key.

Edited by Albert VDS

Alright, thanks for the quick update. :)

Edit: Tried the hide menu through right clicking a MSI part, but menu doesn't disappear.

Though, it does work if you bind it through an action group key.

I fixed it. I'm operating under an intense migraine and my OCD compels me to fix it. Hopefully I'm not going insane this time and it has been fixed.

Something else to look at. All the hinge parts "float" above the part they are attached to. This is especially evident in the smallest open door hinge.

That may be the other parts mesh collider. Do you have a part I can try this on? I would use the hex lander can to test my connections and they seemed flush.

First of all thanks a million for this plugin, I'm absolutely loving it. Since I'm a late bloomer I never had any damned robotics components (only just bought the game last month) and I was lucky to find robotic material here. TONS of fun. Now my OCD is hitting red with the New Rotatron (Ballbearing). I really like how it looks and I was hoping to make it rotate a crane or something. Unfortunately for me it seems to rotate non stop first counterclockwise then clockwise and repeats it continuously. It is possible for me to configure it somehow through the part.cfg to rotate for a couple of degrees only or to stop it's rotation when I press the buttons? I have already followed the instructions on how to configure the part.cfg to make it work, assigned 7 and 8 for its servo control for it not to conflict and my plugins folder only has infernalrobotics.dll, mechjeb2.dll and multiwheels6.dll. Any ideas, suggestions? I could always have the other components do what I want it for, but OCD is OCD you know? I'm twitching here. :confused:

I know Damned Robotics had issues when loading ships (if I recall correctly, the joints would reset?). Right now Infernal Robotics seems to be handling coming back from, say, the Space Port pretty well except at least one kind of hinge (the one very much like the DR hinge). When I come back to ships, the base of the hinge has often been translated to some substantial distance outside of the ship. And of course it's acting like a collider, which definitely does weird things - like if it's underground it kind of acts like an anchor.

Is this a known thing? Is it something that's fixable? I really really want these to work flawlessly 'cause I love using the parts :)

I know Damned Robotics had issues when loading ships (if I recall correctly, the joints would reset?). Right now Infernal Robotics seems to be handling coming back from, say, the Space Port pretty well except at least one kind of hinge (the one very much like the DR hinge). When I come back to ships, the base of the hinge has often been translated to some substantial distance outside of the ship. And of course it's acting like a collider, which definitely does weird things - like if it's underground it kind of acts like an anchor.

Is this a known thing? Is it something that's fixable? I really really want these to work flawlessly 'cause I love using the parts :)

I haven't seen the isse. Which hinge is exactly?

Thank you so much for this! Can't wait to try out some of these hinges and speed control is a godsend. :D Quick Question though: Will the speed control be OK on existing spacecraft that use the docking washers? I built a station around them and want to make sure that it won't break before I install this new dll.

Thank you so much for this! Can't wait to try out some of these hinges and speed control is a godsend. :D Quick Question though: Will the speed control be OK on existing spacecraft that use the docking washers? I built a station around them and want to make sure that it won't break before I install this new dll.

It should be fine just be mindful of the speed and when in doubt lock the washer :)

Are you renaming a part and not the group? Look at this quick video I did. Groups are FirstGroup and SecondGroup.

I am fairly certain that this is what I was doing and it wasn't working, I have to go to work, but I'll try again tomorrow and see.

https://sites.google.com/site/ouchsdownloads/home/downloads/IR%20Bugs.zip

The issue with the floating hinge piece is actually not a specific part problem. It happens on any part used with this mod. I have a save that shows 2 different bugs that occur during saves.

here is my save file:

Untitled space craft on the mun has a rover (the one furthest south) that has a dromoman part bugged out doing exactly as cameroon describes. If you look at the floating part closely you can see the part that rotates is still attached correctly to the arm yet the base for it is the one floating. The other bug is the rover and base modules on kerbin has docking port washers moved up for no apparent reason. Those I think might have something to do with the parts not saving correctly under load but it doesn't happen every save.

Also, anyone that want's to preview my modular rover can do so with this save. :)

mods in use:

Ir of course

DROMOMAN

Kethane

flight engineer redux

Edited by ouch

I know Damned Robotics had issues when loading ships

Howdy! I've had this issue too. In order to reproduce this problem:

1 Create a vehicle with several contiguous joints on one or more limbs

2 place the vehicle on the launchpad

3 traverse several joints. to make the problem more noticeable, be sure to deflect joints more than 30 degrees

4 perform a quick save

5 perform a quick load

6 traverse several joints

Prior to loading the save, the joints behave just fine. After loading the save state, the joints do not behave as expected. As Cameroon mentioned, there are several duplicate ship parts which are far off-axis yet still attached to the ship. You may need to zoom out in order to notice this. When deflecting joints now, the original direction may have been reversed, and the extraneous parts collide with terrain and objects as they move around.

Many spanks!

I haven't seen the isse. Which hinge is exactly?

Probably best with some screenshots.

A couple hinges, a ram and a base. I've boxed the hinges and you can see the bases of the hinges are missing.

screenshot8.JPG

Same angle but zoom out quite a bit. I'm not sure where the 2nd hinge part was floating, could have been underground or basically anywhere - figured finding one of them would suffice. :)

screenshot7.jpg

I was building a stow-able crane and initially used these hinges but since the parts get rather detached I tried the flat hinges and they seem to be fine.