[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Hey sirkut, don't feel any pressure to answer this question but i was curious if you might give us a hint at what you are cooking up in the infernal robotics kitchen for parts, i'm hungry :)

Currently I'm going to make parts that are similar to the old damned robotics with a few additions like a closed hinge. They are simple enough that I don't have to be a modeling wizard to cook up.

Currently I'm going to make parts that are similar to the old damned robotics with a few additions like a closed hinge. They are simple enough that I don't have to be a modeling wizard to cook up.

Something I'd like to see is a selection of hydraulic pistons. shorter, longer, maybe even a telescoping variety that would give you 3x the length extended vs retracted.

Not sure how hard this would be but a piston with attachment points perpendicular to its length would be handy, with each on same side and offset .

+ +
--------------
and
+
--------------
+

Edited by Gristle

Mmm sounds good ill have an order of that with a side of awesome :cool:

I for the life of me can't get this to work. I can see the parts and the interface and have assigned keys 0 and 9 and nothing.

Drop the MagicSmokeIndustries folder from the zip into GameData, right?

I for the life of me can't get this to work. I can see the parts and the interface and have assigned keys 0 and 9 and nothing.

Drop the MagicSmokeIndustries folder from the zip into GameData, right?

Do you have the old Damned Robotics plugin still in GameData? If you do, delete it that plugin as it isn't needed anymore. Try not assigning any keys to it and use the arrow keys when you get to the launch pad and tell me what happens.

Never had Damned Robotics and this is a fresh .21 install. It will turn 45 degrees per button push in the VAB but nothing on the pad. Tried both no assignment and with assignment.

Yj3vSJU.jpg

I noticed the subdirectory is named plugin instead of plugin(s) like it other plugins. Not sure if the path to that stuff is hard coded by Squad or you do it when you make the plugin. Not sure if it matters. Edit: tried both and it didn't matter anyway.

PujlALt.jpg

Edited by DChurchill

Never had Damned Robotics and this is a fresh .21 install. It will turn 45 degrees per button push in the VAB but nothing on the pad.

Yj3vSJU.jpg

I noticed the subdirectory is named plugin instead of plugin(s) like it other plugins. Not sure if the path to that stuff is hard coded by Squad or you do it when you make the plugin. Not sure if it matters.

PujlALt.jpg

This is an old bug it was fixed, so it sounds like you still might be using an old .DLL.

Can you try assigning hot keys to the buttons in the VAB and see if it makes a difference?

Never had Damned Robotics and this is a fresh .21 install. It will turn 45 degrees per button push in the VAB but nothing on the pad. Tried both no assignment and with assignment.

Yj3vSJU.jpg

I noticed the subdirectory is named plugin instead of plugin(s) like it other plugins. Not sure if the path to that stuff is hard coded by Squad or you do it when you make the plugin. Not sure if it matters. Edit: tried both and it didn't matter anyway.

PujlALt.jpg

I had to zoom in. You have the free moving docking washer which is essentially a rotational device with no motor therefore it will not move. I need to add a better description but for now try one that doesn't have the word "free" in it.

So I have to ask, whats the progress on those super awesome looking slides from a while back (back around mid july) i've been excited about them sense i read the idea.

I sent Devo something to work with so it's up to him to finish them. It sure when they will be done but hopefully not too much longer now. Devo is a busy guy so it's up to him and I'm not going to rush him since his artwork is a million times better than what I could come up with.

I sent Devo something to work with so it's up to him to finish them. It sure when they will be done but hopefully not too much longer now. Devo is a busy guy so it's up to him and I'm not going to rush him since his artwork is a million times better than what I could come up with.

It's done enough to send, maybe another 20 minutes on it when I get home but thats about it. I have my nights work planned, so with any luck I can polish off these IR parts too, I'm giving my other mods a break for tonight, it's very frustrating trying to fix things that used to work perfectly :(

I will be watching for this, i Hope you do this,bc your very active with your mod. Thank you. Also looking forward to the other stuff aswell

I had to zoom in. You have the free moving docking washer which is essentially a rotational device with no motor therefore it will not move. I need to add a better description but for now try one that doesn't have the word "free" in it.

Ugh. Ok. My bad. I'll try that tonight.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use these Docking Washers. I place one between a part and a docking port during construction. However, as soon as I place it, a little box pops up and I'm not sure what I need to do in order to close it. The first page seems to imply that it's as simple as placing them and then clicking on them once a craft is docked to adjust. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Am I missing something? Could someone please explain step-by-step how these are used? Thank you.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use these Docking Washers. I place one between a part and a docking port during construction. However, as soon as I place it, a little box pops up and I'm not sure what I need to do in order to close it. The first page seems to imply that it's as simple as placing them and then clicking on them once a craft is docked to adjust. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Am I missing something? Could someone please explain step-by-step how these are used? Thank you.

You can't close the box. It's there so you can figure hotkeys to the movements. You can also add groupings. Check out this tutorial for the old damned robotics (Damned Robotics no longer works)

That little box that pops up in VAB is the servo control box. Each robotic part (like the washers) have a servo that drives them. With that lil pop-up you cab group the servos into different groups, and assign hotkeys. Once you launch the craft you get another little pop up window, showing the groups you made, all the servos in each group, and some click controls for each servo. You can also control each servo with keys if you define them.

For instance I have a crane that uses 2 Docking Washers. In the Vab servo window i make an additional group, and one servo is placed in each group (the default group and one i just made). Then the each group is named and hotkeyed. Group 1 is called 'Boom' and uses 'O' and 'P' keys.

Group 2 is called 'Turret' and uses 'K' and 'L' keys.

edit: aaaand ninjaed =P

Thanks - that's kind of clearer, though I don't see why hotkeys would be necessary if you have the servo control window with arrows. I'm just concerned that setting a pair of distinct hotkeys for each washer will start to interfere with the existing keybinds. After all, you want the numbers for action groups, most of the alphabetic keys are used for maneuvering or interface.

I guess I'm still not entirely clear on the best way to do this. I'm sure I'm missing something that's obvious to veteran robotics users, but I honestly just want to align my docking ports better.

Thanks - that's kind of clearer, though I don't see why hotkeys would be necessary if you have the servo control window with arrows. I'm just concerned that setting a pair of distinct hotkeys for each washer will start to interfere with the existing keybinds. After all, you want the numbers for action groups, most of the alphabetic keys are used for maneuvering or interface.

I guess I'm still not entirely clear on the best way to do this. I'm sure I'm missing something that's obvious to veteran robotics users, but I honestly just want to align my docking ports better.

Hotkeys aren't necessary. I made a quick fix that will allow you to leave those empty and just use the arrow keys from the GUI during launch/flight.

OK, that's good, thank you.

So I tried a little demo for myself - put down a lander can, slap a standard docking washer on top, put a docking port on it. But when I'm on the pad and use the arrows in the servo control to turn it, I notice the lander can rotates one way, and the docking port rotates another. I sort of understand why that happens, but I get the impression that when applied in actual use, this means my station will rotate as well as whatever is docked to it. I'm not sure that's a good idea - I like to keep my station more-or-less stationary. Though I can adjust its orientation with Smart A.S.S., or even manually, I suspect I'm still not doing something right. I thought it would only rotate the object that is docking, not the thing to which it is docking.

Or am I just putting the washer on the wrong thing? Should it go behind the port on the craft or module doing the docking, rather than the station? OK, I tried that... I think I understand, now. Thank you so much for helping to clarify - I'll be using these on my next station for sure!

Edited by HeadHunter67

OK, that's good, thank you.

So I tried a little demo for myself - put down a lander can, slap a standard docking washer on top, put a docking port on it. But when I'm on the pad and use the arrows in the servo control to turn it, I notice the lander can rotates one way, and the docking port rotates another. I sort of understand why that happens, but I get the impression that when applied in actual use, this means my station will rotate as well as whatever is docked to it. I'm not sure that's a good idea - I like to keep my station more-or-less stationary. Though I can adjust its orientation with Smart A.S.S., or even manually, I suspect I'm still not doing something right. I thought it would only rotate the object that is docking, not the thing to which it is docking.

Or am I just putting the washer on the wrong thing? Should it go behind the port on the craft or module doing the docking, rather than the station? OK, I tried that... I think I understand, now. Thank you so much for helping to clarify - I'll be using these on my next station for sure!

My suggestion would be to put a launch clamp on your vessel, raise it off the ground a bit and then give it a shot. It shouldn't rotate.

It's done enough to send, maybe another 20 minutes on it when I get home but thats about it. I have my nights work planned, so with any luck I can polish off these IR parts too, I'm giving my other mods a break for tonight, it's very frustrating trying to fix things that used to work perfectly :(

Whenever you guys feel like releasing it is cool, I'm just holding out on building a couple with these.

In the time that i did this you guys release it, thats awesome/funny