[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

The new hinges and speed controls are great! There seems to be a sound issue withe the angled vtol part when used with keybindings though. That and the adjustable rail breaking seems to be the only problems I found. Oh, the vtol mounts seem to be a bit too durable as well.

One bug that's existed since forever is the fact that control groups don't get cleared out when you switch models.

The new hinges and speed controls are great! There seems to be a sound issue withe the angled vtol part when used with keybindings though. That and the adjustable rail breaking seems to be the only problems I found. Oh, the vtol mounts seem to be a bit too durable as well.

One bug that's existed since forever is the fact that control groups don't get cleared out when you switch models.

Yes that has always been there for some reason, but no biggie.

Hello guys!

I heard you're working on new hinges and stuff? Well, as a dedicated spaceplane designer i would LOVE to see a variant that lets me build folding and/or swing-wings.

I have something like this in mind

TornadoAnimacijaKrilaStrele.gif

It must be very thin and fit the flat attachment surface of those wings. Im sure you can make me happy ;)

You can use docking washers. Just attach them horizontally and attach wings to them.

Just experimented with those yesterday and it works fine. At least on smaller planes. I made a huge cargo plane and on that one the swept wings tend to fold up under lift. Guess the washers are not quite designed to do that ;)

So I wanted to see if I could make some kind of rolly-wheely thing. I did, it's called the Rotodoom!

yMAcOMZ.jpg

It hits 20m/s over land - any faster and it tends to spontaneously deconstruct itself.

Sepratrons add extra sparkle!

RCZ8ktH.jpg

Washer, rotating bits, RCS for steering - works a treat!

@Sirkut: It's not possible to engage/disengage lock at the moment through action groups, or at least it's not working for me.

Could you add this option, my contraption depends on locking and unlocking with multiple action group keys. It would take ages to lock every part separately.

Excellent work Sircut and Devo, much appreciated.

A few things you may want to know about...

- The current package has a typo in the directory structure, instead of Plugin it is written Plugins so when you copy the new download directory to your gamedata directory it doesnt overwrite the old plugin.

- When you create a few new groups, it uses the same default name and so if you dont manually give each group a distinct name it simply puts all the parts into the first instance of that name and you end up with 1 group with parts and the others empty, even if you go and put each part in a different group. Is it possible to add a number to the default name... example New Group 01 , New Group 02 , automatically ?

- A few other things you probably already know like the lock on the free docking rotator does actually lock when the ring is rotated without using the servo controls ( specifically I made a test rig to test a spinning module with small rockets to provide the spin... lock or not locked the ring spun), and action groups dont have the option to toggle the lock.

The old parts seem to work fine as well, just default to a speed of 20 which in the case of the Cylinder makes it pop to max range and back in a flash...setting it to 0.3 makes it go at the proper speed.

All in all very good work, I am going to have fun with the new hinges and waiting for the piston / cylinder.

Are you guys taking over the DR mod or is R4m0n and DYJ still doing working on their update to DR/IR ?

Glad you guys are enjoying the mod & parts.

I've read each and every post and I'll take a look at the issues people are having.

We aren't taking over the DR mod. Since it hasn't been updated and I'm not certain if they will revisit it I decided with the help of Devo to create a new fork of the existing code. Then it was just a matter of making new & interesting parts. I hope we succeeded. There are more to come!

Excellent work Sircut and Devo, much appreciated.

A few things you may want to know about...

- The current package has a typo in the directory structure, instead of Plugin it is written Plugins so when you copy the new download directory to your gamedata directory it doesnt overwrite the old plugin.

True, I would advise anyone to just delete the MSI directory and start fresh. I had so many people fuss that it was Plugin rather than Plugins but in the end it doesn't matter. KSP will still traverse them all.

- When you create a few new groups, it uses the same default name and so if you dont manually give each group a distinct name it simply puts all the parts into the first instance of that name and you end up with 1 group with parts and the others empty, even if you go and put each part in a different group. Is it possible to add a number to the default name... example New Group 01 , New Group 02 , automatically ?

I'll look into it.

- A few other things you probably already know like the lock on the free docking rotator does actually lock when the ring is rotated without using the servo controls ( specifically I made a test rig to test a spinning module with small rockets to provide the spin... lock or not locked the ring spun), and action groups dont have the option to toggle the lock.

Hrm. Odd I'll see what happened.

The old parts seem to work fine as well, just default to a speed of 20 which in the case of the Cylinder makes it pop to max range and back in a flash...setting it to 0.3 makes it go at the proper speed.

Fun fact. Default speed is always 0.3. What you have is probably a hinge tied to the same group and the hinge's property is overriding the default value for the adjustable rail. I may see about providing customizable text boxes for each TYPE of part that is grouped together. for example: Group Name < o > H[ ] R[ ] A[ ] where H is hinge, R is rotatron, A is adjustable rail... we'll see if this is a viable solution. Not sure I'm keen to having questions on "what does H mean?" I'd like to keep the gui size at a minimum.

My only request is a way, using hinges, to create tiny and neat booms that fold in and out, ala Voyager and similar. Now, it is sort of possoble, but I Had a go with hinges tonight and it seems really tricky to attach parts to the end of the hinge without the part clipping into the hint root or other items - which may not be a problem (?), but makes me worry.

I dream of having neatly folded up satellites that I unfurl in orbit. You guys are very nearly there with the parts! This stuff is great.

Edited by TinyPirate

Fun fact. Default speed is always 0.3. What you have is probably a hinge tied to the same group and the hinge's property is overriding the default value for the adjustable rail. I may see about providing customizable text boxes for each TYPE of part that is grouped together. for example: Group Name < o > H[ ] R[ ] A[ ] where H is hinge, R is rotatron, A is adjustable rail... we'll see if this is a viable solution. Not sure I'm keen to having questions on "what does H mean?" I'd like to keep the gui size at a minimum.

I would just stick to group names and not mess with showing individual parts or the UI will get too big a bit too fast.

My mining rover with a crane has about 6 - 7 controls already... I just rename the group to reflect the action the control will do rather than worry about what part I am controlling... example my drill arm has 2 actions, tilts the drill over from its parked position, and lowers it to near the surface so I have 2 groups one for the tilt and one for the slider, called Drill Tilt and Drill Slide.

The good thing about this system is if you have a group with multiple parts that act at the same time you only need 1 control group... like 4 rotatrons controlling a VTOL engine set, now way a player could adjust all 4 independently but keeping it simple and adjusting all 4 at the same time is easy enough... toss all 4 in the same group and hey presto simultaneous control, if you want to separate the front engines from the back... make 2 groups.

The only issue is if you are messing around with the parts, creating a new group always calls the new group... New Group and having multiple parts always shifts the parts into the first instance of New Group when you launch (you only have 1 control, even if you have several groups of New Group, and all the parts end up in the first group even if you had shifted them around prior to launching).

One nice change you could try with the UI is a hide / unhide the speed edit function once you have launched, so you dont end up typing asdsad when messing about in the air with VTOL engines and piloting... like possibly a button to toggle the speed box from a edit box to a simple display the number.

Sirkut already confirmed a part called "sweptor" for swing-wings. And while waiting for release, I use the time to get started with modding myself :P

Yeah, I noticed that one too, but just saying the docking rings work if you want something in the meanwhile..

I'd like to keep the gui size at a minimum.

So why not do something similar to KAS or MechJeb? Minimal interface for control, with the option to expand the gui or open/hide another box for the fiddly input stuff that you really only need during tweaking.

Also, being able to set the speed per part instead of just per group would be nice. One of the robot arms I've tinkered with I had to resort to stacking 2 rotating pieces in one joint so it would extend that part twice as fast as the rest of the arm. Being able to set the speed differently, or even as a ratio compared to the base group speed, could come in handy. (even negative so if you get a part flipped wrong due to symmetry not behaving)

Edited by AchronTimeless

So why not do something similar to KAS or MechJeb? Minimal interface for control, with the option to expand the gui or open/hide another box for the fiddly input stuff that you really only need during tweaking.

Also, being able to set the speed per part instead just just per group would be nice. One of the robot arms I've tinkered with I had to resort to stacking 2 rotating pieces in one joint so it would extend that part twice as fast as the rest of the arm. Being able to set the speed differently, or even as a ratio compared to the base group speed, could come in handy. (even negative so if you get a part flipped wrong due to symmetry not behaving)

Not a bad idea but I would first like to rework the plugin completely to use the new "module {}" format and utilize the TacLib window library for drawing GUIs.

Bug reporting time! Hinges seem to mirror oddly in the SPH and VAB,

2vwd7ht.jpg

The closed hinges begin to demonstrate the issue, but wait, there's more! And by more, I mean the rest of the hinges seem to be affected as well.

1fxm3b.jpg

Maybe it's something in the config files for a fix for the first image, but I'm just stumped on how to fix the second.

This is inherit with the plugin and it only happens when you use symmetry mode. I recall this being an issue with Damned Robotics in the past too. My only suggestion is to place hinges one by one or try Albert VDS's tip.

Click on "Add new Group" in the servo configuration window, then press \/ or /\ to move a part from one group to the other.

I've done this, but it still lumps them all together. I've also tried to rename the groups. It doesn't help.

I've done this, but it still lumps them all together. I've also tried to rename the groups. It doesn't help.

Are you renaming a part and not the group? Look at this quick video I did. Groups are FirstGroup and SecondGroup.

Sirkut, wonderful thing you've done to bring Damned Robotics back .. better still in a cut down way thats actually readable codewise compared to the full mechjeb package.

However, the mechjeb servo module has never ran how I'd have liked it to. I'd rather it was driven by a very different method involving action groups rather than key presses, as thats a bit archaic by now being from way before action groups existed. Since Vector Engine mod its now possible to drive controls properly via action group key set up. And I'd like to give it a try in the near future and see if I can modify this mod to run by action groups with no GUI ingame whatsoever.

Would you allow permission to do this, or am I best asking r4mon? (or both of you I guess?)