[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

I made an amusement park! Upvotes on Reddit would be highly appreciated :)http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1lh4q9/jebland_semilethal_fun_for_the_whole_family/

Pure Brilliance! This has inspired me to devise my own attraction.

_b44b3b749199450096526dc1b5fb4737

_0478814f9aee4557bea114372d1d7c3e

Haven't got time for videos tonight so the 48 Kerbals will have to wait till tomorrow for a test ride. They look excited for it :D (well some of them anyway)

_cf791a6addb44695a352810314587341

Btw, what video capture software have people been using? I'm getting fed up with the 30 second limit the free version of fraps offers.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

My pipeline is: Open Broadcast Software (free) > Lightworks (free) > VLC to transcode to mp4.

Can't say I am great at it - and I still have sound issues to figure out, but I works and OBS is a lot better than Fraps.

And I can't wait to see what your ride does! I am liking this design trend!

Hrm, forum update the other day seems to have broken the quote action (among other things). Anyhow, cy-one, the idea was that now you use the gantry upside-down compared to before, (old 'platform' is now the mounting piece, try to surface mount it to see what I mean. After all, I only changed where it attaches when surface mounted.) :D

And so I join the league of gantry-designers! :D

Thanks for helping me on the reversing-stuff

screenshot38.png

Took me hours to build (and test) until I was satisfied.

- Enough room to lift a Jumbo-64 + X200-32

- Enough bat-power to keep roving around for a long time (and, of course, solar panels)

- a rotating "tools-girder" with a docking port, a magnet and a dismountable radial connector port

- some fancy warning lights that I can keep blinking to know where that monster is when it's night :D

- way too many parts (110+8 struts, 14,33 tons), but it handles very well and is quite flexible.

There are still some minor details to do, but all in all, it's done.

Will aid in base-building and similar stuff.

Reddot99: (quotes seem to be borked)

Assuming you could keep it under control, you could land it by just powering down the jets. If you were really adventurous and used MSI rotators for the "blades" (tried, didn't work though now I don't remember why.) you could invert their pitch right before touchdown, and make use of the angular momentum built up during the autorotation as it descends to give yourself a burst of lift. You can see that in the video: as it falls, the force of the air starts to spin the blades backwards.

I shut down the engines at some point forgetting that it was a drone core, and so I lost control. Even with 4x reaction wheels, though, it was not very controllable. The angular momentum of the circular fuel tank (yeah...) was immense, so any attempt to turn would result in an undesired result.

Hrm, forum update the other day seems to have broken the quote action (among other things).

Left-Click 'Reply With Quote' is broken.

Under FireFox Right-Click 'Reply With Quote' and open in a new tab and it's unbroken :)

My pipeline is: Open Broadcast Software (free) > Lightworks (free) > VLC to transcode to mp4.

Thanks for the suggestion. OBS worked like a charm!

And I can't wait to see what your ride does! I am liking this design trend!

Well, it took me a lot longer to record and edit than I planned but here we go. Enjoy :D

Btw, this is actually a real attraction:

It visited my town once when I was a kid, and was the most awesome ride at the whole fairground! This came a close second though :D:

(Un?)fortunately, Kerbals do not seem to think seatbelts will be useful in a chair designed to be on the outside of a spacecraft, since acceleration isn't exactly sudden in space. (Unless of course, you're Jeb, and use a first stage motor for orbital maneuvers, I'm constantly surprised to not lose that little chair while at full throttle with 30+ m/s^2 acceleration) :D Perhaps now's the time to start promoting safety harnesses...

Left-Click 'Reply With Quote' is broken.

Under FireFox Right-Click 'Reply With Quote' and open in a new tab and it's unbroken :)

Thank ya much.

Assuming you could keep it under control, you could land it by just powering down the jets. If you were really adventurous and used MSI rotators for the "blades" (tried, didn't work though now I don't remember why.) you could invert their pitch right before touchdown, and make use of the angular momentum built up during the autorotation as it descends to give yourself a burst of lift. You can see that in the video: as it falls, the force of the air starts to spin the blades backwards.

I shut down the engines at some point forgetting that it was a drone core, and so I lost control. Even with 4x reaction wheels, though, it was not very controllable. The angular momentum of the circular fuel tank (yeah...) was immense, so any attempt to turn would result in an undesired result.

I might think that control surfaces may work better for that, (Use a long narrow (mostly straight) wing, apply control surfaces to trailing edge, and use FAR to set the surfaces to be action group controlled flaps with a very wide range of deflection). Just a crazy idea, I'll try this myself, see if I can get something (remotely) controllable.

craft file?

Not feeling comfortable to upload it right now, for various reasons.

Mainly part count and mod dependency. For example (only the ones I can remember without having to look)

- KAS

- NovaPunch (for heavier struts)

- FusTek stuff (his docking rings)

- that welded stuff (for 3x Girders instead of three single girders)

- Aviation lights (for... well, those fancy red beacons :D)

I will try to build a new one today (without the long girder at the bottom), we'll see how that works :)

Thanks for the suggestion. OBS worked like a charm!Well, it took me a lot longer to record and edit than I planned but here we go. Enjoy :D

Btw, this is actually a real attraction:
It visited my town once when I was a kid, and was the most awesome ride at the whole fairground! This came a close second though :D:
Now that is f***** brilliant.

Great ride, Zodius! It would be welcome in Jebland any time!

Thanks! It turned out a lot better than I expected :D. I think it would need a few more lights and explosions to truly fit with the rest of the "attractions" at Jebland though.

Surprisingly no Kerbals were injured!

Thanks! It turned out a lot better than I expected :D. I think it would need a few more lights and explosions to truly fit with the rest of the "attractions" at Jebland though.

Surprisingly no Kerbals were injured!

...because you didn't make it go fast enough. I wish I could "unlock" powered washers to free washers so attached jet engines could push the rotation up to insane speeds!

Well, while everyone is showing off their videos of what they can do with gantries and pistons and such, here's something for the poor, forgotten free-spinning docking washers.

(snip)

That's amazing. I might have to steal it and see if I can make a VTOL with it.