[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

I had a strange bug

(Before everyone asks I installed nothing but the latest IR on a fresh install of 0.23.5 and KAS)

I had a rover in career mode and when I returned to the space centre and then returned to the craft the pistons and hinges were all twisted and some were even flipped 180* lengthways, one important thing I've noticed is that when I left the craft the parts WEREN'T in their "default/rest" positions.

When I made the craft again and instead re-centred the parts to their starting position when I returned to the space centre and upon reloading the parts position seems fine.

If this is just me having this issue don't worry about it, and if this is a long standing issue if you don't return the parts to default position then that's fine too, lol

Either way if I just have to return the parts to centre before I leave the craft then I can life with that :)

ctbram: You launch that thing as-is with FAR?!? madness. Have you not considered building it in orbit?

With the fairings it looks less scary. This is my MW relay and commsat satellite. The payload is only 11t load but it's about as long as you can go on a 3.75m expanded fairing and not look ridiculous. Total launch weight is 179t and this is my light to medium lifter. I have a similar soyuz and ares style design that can lift 300t payloads.

Here are some images of various launches (https://imgur.com/a/yIlVN). I have six of these in orbit around kerbin. there is a shot of the pattern in the images.

I had a strange bug

(Before everyone asks I installed nothing but the latest IR on a fresh install of 0.23.5 and KAS)

I had a rover in career mode and when I returned to the space centre and then returned to the craft the pistons and hinges were all twisted and some were even flipped 180* lengthways, one important thing I've noticed is that when I left the craft the parts WEREN'T in their "default/rest" positions.

When I made the craft again and instead re-centred the parts to their starting position when I returned to the space centre and upon reloading the parts position seems fine.

If this is just me having this issue don't worry about it, and if this is a long standing issue if you don't return the parts to default position then that's fine too, lol

Either way if I just have to return the parts to centre before I leave the craft then I can life with that :)

I've heard people having bugs with the positions when they go back to a craft. I've never seen this issue personally but what I have always done is hit F5 to save the game before switching scenes.

It seems to work perfectly fine, rotating along the right axis, just the opposite direction.

Same goes for all other parts. They move/rotate in the opposite way.

Same here. Every IR part now translates in the opposite direction! The 'invert' option only changes which button (left or right) starts the translation, not changing the translation itself. In other words for example, take the Adjustable Rail that has a base (bottom) and extends in a single direction (up). Now the Adjustable Rail extends in the opposite direction, 'down' through its 'base/bottom'.

I've tested it out not only on an existing craft, but also testing the part by itself. Additionally, I tried both of these options with other mods and also on a clean install. In all scenarios, the behavior is consistent. :(

I've got a bad-ass rover ready to be released I've been working on since 0.21 that requires Infernal Robotics. It contains over twenty (20) groups with about sixty (60) IR parts alone. These cover a range of features like 'Stability Mode' that goes between 'Low-Rider' and 'Mud-Slinger'. From something simple like a 'Seat Extension' and 'Height Adjustable Docking Ports' to more complex things like 'Thrust Rotation' and many 'Hull Reconfiguration Modes'. Endless Possibilities made possible by Infernal Robotics.

I've heard people having bugs with the positions when they go back to a craft. I've never seen this issue personally but what I have always done is hit F5 to save the game before switching scenes.

As long as that works that's fine :) because then it's my own silly fault if I forget to F5 :) lol

As long as that works that's fine :) because then it's my own silly fault if I forget to F5 :) lol

Give it a try and see if you still experience it. I honestly never experienced it so it's hard to know what causes it.

Thanks! I will check it when I'm at a computer. At a glance I'm seeing a lot of null reference errors from other plugins but didn't spot anything odd with infernal robotics. I will poor over it later. Just to double check you are usin .23.5 right?

[bUG 0.14 tent] I think I found a bug in 0.14 tent. It seems to mess up my hinges after extending the hinges and then leaving the active ship and returning.

Here are images...

These first two show the hinge arrangement with the mw recievers retracted and extended. It's a simple 90 deg hing + truss + 0 deg hinge arrangement. I can extend and retract them just fine. The right side base hinge rotates 120 deg and the top hinge 90 deg while the left side base rotates 60 and the top 90. the top hinge on the left side was not rotating correctly and I could not get the inv chkbox to work so I had to click the rotate > button about a gazzillion time to rotate it 180 degrees.

As long as I remain on the initial active ship screen I can extend and retract this assembly forever just fine. However, if I leave the asm extended (see pic 2) and then leave the active ship and then come back (say I switch ships or go to the ksc or leave the game and come back) the base hinges get flipped (see image 3). I can then no longer retract the assembly. As a result I just spent about 8 hours putting 6 of these relay sats around kerbin and they are all now broken! I am not very happy.

(edit) As I look closely at the images I see that BOTH hinges are flipped after coming back to the ship You can clearly see the base hinge and the top hinge are messed up in the third image compared to the 2nd image!

Is this a bug? is there anything I can send you to help fix it?

image 1. asm retracted

V1BQQkp.jpg

image 2. asm extended

vT0tQ9D.jpg

image 3. what happens if I leave the asm extended leave the active ship and then come back. You can see the base hinges get borked and I can no longer retract the asm.

YTIuGJ3.jpg

To help debug I simplified the the rig to use stock parts and just isolate the problem. I will include a link to the craft file. Here are images that better describe the bug.

4tmYZ6E.jpg

rnXDqiG.jpg

PrzUzey.jpg

and then you leave and come back to your ship and....you are boned!

gpxU0AI.jpg

here is a link to the craft file to duplicate the bug...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5501128/ksp%20ir%20bug/IR%20bug%20rig.craft

Edited by ctbram

Same here,

Also, I would like to make a request if at all possible. I keep getting hinges disorientated in the vab. Could I request to paint a red line across all hinges just on one side to make sure I am placing the correct side where it should be?

Thanks...

This is why it's a tentative release. I haven't tested it fully and I advised to make a backup of your game before proceeding. I'll have some time tonight to look at what is going on. If there was a stock version that I could use to test that would make my life easier. Stupid autocorrects...

Edited by sirkut

Same here,

Also, I would like to make a request if at all possible. I keep getting hinges disorientated in the vab. Could I request to paint a red line across all hinges just on one side to make sure I am placing the correct side where it should be?

Thanks...

That's a nice idea :)

hahaha... could you post pics? Nice.

Just load the crafts and run the hinges.. you'll see what goes on. some hinges work correct others not so much. It has to do with which side I place first. If I place the wrong side first it doesn't animate properly.

hahaha... could you post pics? Nice.

Just load the crafts and run the hinges.. you'll see what goes on. some hinges work correct others not so much. It has to do with which side I place first. If I place the wrong side first it doesn't animate properly.

Well it's more of a "lean to" shelter for our stupid yellow lab. She has a back porch with pillows but prefers to lay in the dirt/grass so she can watch the road and wait for us to come home. I'll take a pic when it's done.

Thank for the tip on the crafts. What I will do is redo the plugin in the PartModule format then see if it is causing the same problem. I know that taniwha said he fixed a symmetry issue. Omgnull found another bug that he submitted to github that I will test as well.

This is why it's a tentative release. I haven't tested it fully and I advised to make a backup of your game before proceeding. I'll have some time tonight to look at what is going on. If there was a stock version that I could use to test that would make my life easier. Stupid autocorrects...

I attached a link to a simple rig you can use to test the hinge reorienting itself when you leave and come back bug. So you don't have to hunt for it here is the lank again...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5501128/ksp%20ir%20bug/IR%20bug%20rig.craft

thank you for working on this mod. I appreciate your efforts. To replicate the problem put this rig on the pad and just press the > key until the hinges reach their stops (see my pics above) then esc and go to the ksc then go back to the pad and you will see both the hinges have reoriented themselves.

I believe it has something to do with how ksp loads screens and resets all the animated parts back to their defaults states. The AIES guy has been fighting this with his landing gear for several releases now. You'd land someplace on a slope then leave and come back and the gear would start folded up, then the physics engine would load, then you ship would fall to the ground and start rolling down the slope, then the gear would try to extend lol.

I am guessing it's the same kind of thing happening here but I am not enough of a unity coder to know exactly what is happening or how to fix it.

Edited by ctbram

Well it's more of a "lean to" shelter for our stupid yellow lab. She has a back porch with pillows but prefers to lay in the dirt/grass so she can watch the road and wait for us to come home. I'll take a pic when it's done.

Thank for the tip on the crafts. What I will do is redo the plugin in the PartModule format then see if it is causing the same problem. I know that taniwha said he fixed a symmetry issue. Omgnull found another bug that he submitted to github that I will test as well.

Thanks, Its nice and quiet here. I guess everyone is enjoying the fix.

ctbram: You launch that thing as-is with FAR?!? madness. Have you not considered building it in orbit?

This looks terrifying but actually it is quite a light load. It's just tall. In fact this run through career mode I am restricting myself to ships that look semi-realistic so things have to fit in fairing 3.75m extended max. This part is about the max volume that I permit. The lifter is my light/medium Soyuz style launch system. The payload is very light for this and so I have no aspargus staging and in fact the boosters are only 50% full of fuel and the center (spindly) stage 2 has the lower tank section locked or I could put this into orbit on the boosters alone.

Here is a link to a video I made of the entire launch sequence. It is not edited and I did not think you wanted to hear my squeaky voice so I did not narrate. The entire launch is automated using mechjeb. I can do it manually but when you have to put a bunch of these in orbit it gets tedious and in reality real astronauts are there to take control in an emergency and don't fly things with a keyboard and a mouse (lol). Besides the entire launch sequence is a beautiful thing to watch and I enjoy sitting back and just enjoy the view. I hope you enjoy it...

Edited by ctbram

Ctbram. Have you tried saving your game before goin to KSC? See what that does for me.

will do. Here is what I did...

I loaded the test craft and launched

on the pad I extended the hinges

then I pressed f5 to quicksave

then I pressed f9 to restore

the restore loaded and the hinges were once again flipped (.

I also quit completely and relaunched the game and loaded the saved file and same thing. The hinges are flipped when the screen loads.

Not sure this helps but after the hinges flip if you press and hold 0 the new zero position is the flipped state.

Did another test...

pressed 0 and the hinges pop but eventually end up where they were after coming back in as if the flipped state is the new default. So then I pressed the > key again and I get to a new even more messed up state with crap intersecting and stuff but here is the interesting part. I then save and come back again and the hinges have flipped once again and now pressing < or 0 and I once again get a pop and then it grinds its way around to the flipped state but where I last left it. Like that is the new default state again.

Everytime I move anything and leave and come back the hinges are reoriented and the position it is in seems to be the new "0" state.

Edited by ctbram

Don't know what was reported, fixed, discussed etc, just wanted to share this small hickup:

hinge.jpg

Sorry if that was reported already, or known - it's the most recent version of IR (14). Also, two motorized 90 degree hinges don't stick together on the part that moves (english isn't my first language, sorry).

Anyway, awesome work so far!