[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Are file sizes of mods a reasonable way to gauge how much memory the mod will consume in-game?

That part I can't answer but I'm sure it does since it loads everything during start up. I've read that some people can't use the entire B9 parts pack so they just trim it down to the stuff they need.

does anyone know why when you load up the arms are in slightly different places then when you originally placed and is this something that can be fixed or is that just the nature of the beast.

Can you provide a before and after photo? I don't have any problems on my end with placement of the parts.

does anyone know why when you load up the arms are in slightly different places then when you originally placed and is this something that can be fixed or is that just the nature of the beast.

I've noticed that too on occasion. It appears to me that the arms are loading in the odd positions because when you left them to go do something else they were straining under a load. When you return the under load piece assumes it's strained position when you left, but the piece it is connected to assumes it's normal position and the resulting joint is bent.

Continuing on from my 101 uses for Adjustable Rails post

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37707-0-21-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Parts-Infernal-Robotics?p=576307&viewfull=1#post576307

Dynamic and automatic alignment of the CoT with the CoM, I have the first test code working. This is exactly what Scott Manley should have been using in his latest 'Rovers can make for an imbalanced load' video!

Here's a short vid of the test flight

The rocket is designed so the tanks on the left empty before the tanks on the right, this is of course a very bad idea. I have no idea what the little tanks in the middle are up to, they are there to help make the fuel route. The little rail keeps the engine aligned all the way to orbit. Speaking of the little engine, I wish I could remember where it came from, I used it to better see what was going on as I tried time and time again to find the correct CoM variable. All came good in the end :)

I've noticed that too on occasion. It appears to me that the arms are loading in the odd positions because when you left them to go do something else they were straining under a load. When you return the under load piece assumes it's strained position when you left, but the piece it is connected to assumes it's normal position and the resulting joint is bent.

thats what i've come to think as well is there anything that can be changed (code wise) to solve the issue. (been wanting to put some heavy loads on the rails and rotors on kerbin)

it does the same with the robot arms pack in a similar way aswell.

thats what i've come to think as well is there anything that can be changed (code wise) to solve the issue. (been wanting to put some heavy loads on the rails and rotors on kerbin)

it does the same with the robot arms pack in a similar way aswell.

I'like to see a video or some example. Craft file would be great too because I can't fix it if I can't replicate it.

Continuing on from my 101 uses for Adjustable Rails post

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37707-0-21-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Parts-Infernal-Robotics?p=576307&viewfull=1#post576307

Dynamic and automatic alignment of the CoT with the CoM, I have the first test code working. This is exactly what Scott Manley should have been using in his latest 'Rovers can make for an imbalanced load' video!

Here's a short vid of the test flight

The rocket is designed so the tanks on the left empty before the tanks on the right, this is of course a very bad idea. I have no idea what the little tanks in the middle are up to, they are there to help make the fuel route. The little rail keeps the engine aligned all the way to orbit. Speaking of the little engine, I wish I could remember where it came from, I used it to better see what was going on as I tried time and time again to find the correct CoM variable. All came good in the end :)

This is awesome on so many levels. Will you be releasing that when its finished? I need to get the gantry done!

I'like to see a video or some example. Craft file would be great too because I can't fix it if I can't replicate it.
I think they mean this, here is an exaggerated example. Save or change focus in a gravity stressed position, come back and release the weight and the joints between parts are permanently out of shape, the hinge to ram and obviously the ram to docking port which is still attached and moves with the ram. I don't think it's your fault, the DR part itself doesn't break and is the same issue that stops building large basses on uneven ground, KSP should undo gravity effects before it saves part positions relative to others or somehow include the effect of gravity on flexible joints in the save?

ees.png

81mn.png

I am really liking where all this is going. The speed setting is going to be soo useful! One suggestion: a small feature that could be useful would be rotation angle limits. Say you have an object that you only need to rotate 90 degrees max (like engines on a vtol) then you could set the rotation angle, and even if you set the speed to be pretty high, you wont mess up and it will stop rotating at the set angle. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to implement since the "zero" button kind of does something like that.

Anyways, great work all around! I built a ship using the docking washers and the adjustable rail in another interesting way:

Edit2:

Hi,

What am I doing Wrong ? I have just unzipped the magicsmokeIndustries folder into my KSP root, but I have no new part appearing in the SPH/VAB ?? :(

That folder belongs in the "GameData" folder, not the root.

Edited by BahamutoD

Hi,

What am I doing Wrong ? I have just unzipped the magicsmokeIndustries folder into my KSP root, but I have no new part appearing in the SPH/VAB ?? :(

Put the magicamokeindustries folder in your gamedata dir.

I am really liking where all this is going. The speed setting is going to be soo useful! One suggestion: a small feature that could be useful would be rotation angle limits. Say you have an object that you only need to rotate 90 degrees max (like engines on a vtol) then you could set the rotation angle, and even if you set the speed to be pretty high, you wont mess up and it will stop rotating at the set angle. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to implement since the "zero" button kind of does something like that.

Anyways, great work all around! I built a ship using the docking washers and the adjustable rail in another interesting way:

Edit2:

That folder belongs in the "GameData" folder, not the root.

The preset movement idea is on the table. I think for now I'm going to release just the sound support and the custom speed control per grouping which should be in the next couple of days. Right now I'm getting the hinges ready for consumption. One closed, one open in 3 difference sizes per set.

btw. Nice use of the adjustable rails for missile deployment. That was awesome.

That is outright beautiful. Is there somewhere I can try that out? (My own attempts at VTOL craft invariably end in deathspins during ascent.)

The preset movement idea is on the table. I think for now I'm going to release just the sound support and the custom speed control per grouping which should be in the next couple of days. Right now I'm getting the hinges ready for consumption. One closed, one open in 3 difference sizes per set.

Speaking of speed control, is it possible to make an option to allow the washers to have a toggled free spin mode? As in, you can control it, or alternately flip a switch and the motor/gears disengage and it spins freely.

That is outright beautiful. Is there somewhere I can try that out? (My own attempts at VTOL craft invariably end in deathspins during ascent.)

Speaking of speed control, is it possible to make an option to allow the washers to have a toggled free spin mode? As in, you can control it, or alternately flip a switch and the motor/gears disengage and it spins freely.

Yes. Since making a free moving one is merely a modification of the cfg file, i can just have a toggle change those values. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Yes. Since making a free moving one is merely a modification of the cfg file, i can just have a toggle change those values. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

That'd be wonderful, then I wouldn't have to have two pairs of washers for keeping the cockpit upright in some of my more tilt-friendly rovers.(Lemme get a snapshot of how it looks now.) 2r2n486.jpg

Edited by Reddot99

Here's a showcase of the set of 6 Infernal Robotic hinges. There's a closed and an open variation of the same hinge. Each with 3 different sizes. Full, 1/2 and 1/4. Should be released later today!

Why 1/2 and 1/4 hinges? For probes!

The scorpion probe has:

1. 4 1/2 sized closed hinges for the wheels.

2. 1 1/2 sized open hinge for the dish

3. 2 1/4 sized closed hinges for the lights.

I think they mean this, here is an exaggerated example. Save or change focus in a gravity stressed position, come back and release the weight and the joints between parts are permanently out of shape, the hinge to ram and obviously the ram to docking port which is still attached and moves with the ram. I don't think it's your fault, the DR part itself doesn't break and is the same issue that stops building large basses on uneven ground, KSP should undo gravity effects before it saves part positions relative to others or somehow include the effect of gravity on flexible joints in the save?

ees.png

81mn.png

yea thats a perfect example of whats going on.

Here's a showcase of the set of 6 Infernal Robotic hinges. There's a closed and an open variation of the same hinge. Each with 3 different sizes. Full, 1/2 and 1/4. Should be released later today!

Is there a label on the texture for which half of the hinge is the moving one? :D

Edited by Reddot99
fixed quotes