[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Could someone explain how that "reversing" of the gantry worked exactly? I tried to make one with just three Rails (no Pistons yet), and... Well, it didn't behave like I hoped it would :(

Here's a walker I was playing with earlier. It has a 1 meter (ish) per second walking speed and can make 90 degree turns via gyro bending of the frame in as little as 50 meters.

A proof of concept but at least it's a walker.

I love this mod!

Thanks Flikr for not letting me embed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101031351@N03/9631747881/

Edited by jsalexan
Fixing flikr link

I have been messing around with robots. This actually walks (drunkenly)

golm.png

Each joint is in a separate group with the joints on each side being mapped to keys opposite ways around (so that when the left hip goes forwards the right one goes back, and when the left foot goes up, the right one goes down). The whole thing is kept upright by a pair of reaction wheels. While it works, the wobblyness of the current SAS implementation makes it look a bit drunk, and it has a tendancy to fall over. On the other hand, only having one point of contact with the ground means it can turn on the spot.

Well, having a reversed version with the platform as the fixed mesh certainly simplifies matters thats for sure :D.

*snip* removed video *snip*

I haven't had time to test if theres any knock on effects of this, but it looks promising.

EXACTLY what I had envisioned when I saw "gantry crane". Slap some wheels on and you have the perfect base assembly tool!

Here was my attempt at a walker. It's got the same drinking problem yours does with the addition of I have to move in really tiny increments otherwise it likes to dive face first into the ground.

ma6z.png

I'm hoping that kOS becomes compatible with Infernal Robotics soon so scripting complex actions in the robotics goes way beyond action groups and praying things don't fall over.

Could someone explain how that "reversing" of the gantry worked exactly? I tried to make one with just three Rails (no Pistons yet), and... Well, it didn't behave like I hoped it would :(

You need to follow these instructions to create a modified version of the part, whereby the rails actually become the thing that moves rather than the platform.

Actually if you want to test it out, copy the cfg and paste it below the original and make just one change. Look at fixedMesh. Instead of Base change it to Platform. Give it a unique name as usual and give it a whirl.

--------------------------------------------------

EXACTLY what I had envisioned when I saw "gantry crane". Slap some wheels on and you have the perfect base assembly tool!

Its a shame that IR or KSP doesn't currently allow for this behaviour with the current part, as that was certainly one of its planned uses when I made the original model. It may end up being a case that two versions of the gantry exist to allow for some of the existing setups people have shown, but also systems like myself and ecat have demo'ed.

Okay, i tried to reverse that thingy via base/platform.

screenshot34.png

So... The small thingy doesn't move... BUT the part connected to thingy (in that case: small drone and rtg) does move unisono with the platform under the gantry. which results in a gap between the rail and drone/rtg.

Is there a (simple) way to either make the thingy movable, too, or to make the stuff connected to it fixed?

Looking at your picture, why don't you flip the middle gantry and connect the probe core to the other side of the platform, then it won't float.

Edited by sirkut

Because I want to keep one side "clear" of unnecessary (non-dockingport/non-KAS) stuff to get the most clearance... And I would have liked to have the control stuff on top... No matter if it moves or is fixed. I just dislike it floating :D

You could either go with Sirkuts suggestion, or replace that middle gantry with a non-reversed one but build a support structure along the top that the other reversed rails will connect to. Essentially a cross between the two designs I show in this video.

In the first design the probe is attached above the platform, and in the second design it's attached below. From what you say it seems you want the central beam of the first design and the outer rails of the second.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Alternately, replace the 'node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1' with 'node_attach = 0.0, 0.65, .0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0' in addition to the rest of the reversal process.

(I used this to mount three engines in a row on a gantry and it actually looks pretty good, I think.)