Stupid Industries - Courage & Wisdom Rover Pack v1.0

OBOAHwu.jpg

Stupid Industries introduces the Courage and Wisdom rovers!

The Courage rover:

HTvDUwC.jpg

The Wisdom rover:

7krSqzN.png

Both of these rovers come with their personal premade skycranes and heatshields. A combination of high delta V and parachutes allows the rovers to land on any desired body without the need to change the designs. The rovers themselves are very stable on the ground. The Wisdom rover can reach a top speed of 9m/s and turn without a hitch, and the Courage rover can reach a speed of 59m/s (because you don't want to go faster) With the help of it's RCS propulsion system. Although it is highly recommended to be extremely careful at speeds superior to 10m/s when jumping, turning and braking. Both of the rovers come with all the scientific instruments, integrated SAS, headlights, RTGs, antennas , and in the case of the Courage rover, a communication dish.

Courage rover:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Wisdom rover:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The rovers have been tested for landings on Tylo, Eve and Duna. Even on atmospheric bodies, you will want to do half powered landings. The skycranes have a CoT dangerously close to their CoM, so I highly recommend disabling the gimbal on their engines before using them at all. On Eve, you might want to burn some excess fuel in the upper atmosphere to have a better TWR during the final descent. You might also want to slow down with your engines on Duna with the Wisdom rover as the chute might give a blow too hard when opening. Lastly, it is recommended to decouple the skycrane about half a meter above the ground with the engines still running to send it further away. The rovers shouldn't subsist too much damage from this maneuver.

Note: these rovers don't included a a launcher or an interplanetary tug so you will have to build those yourself.

Action groups:

1: Lock steering of the rear wheels of the rover

2: Deploy antennas and sat dishes

3: Toggle scientific equipment

4: Toggle solar panels on the skycrane

0: Toggle gimbal on the skycrane's engines

Mediafire download - Spaceport download

Those craft files are fully compatible with MechJeb2 although it isn't included in the download.

Mods used: KSPX Stock Expansion pack, RoveMate XL v0.2 (Courage rover only)

Edited by stupid_chris
Forgot the action groups!

Great! I love payload crafts instead of launcher crafts!

Happy to learn you like them! I was originally planning to give them a tug and a launcher in one craft, but for the big one, I would've had to send 110t to space to be sure that it cxould go everywhere... So I decided to simply do the rovers and let the people launch them then dock a tug in orbit :P

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't load either craft... I got a message indicating the following parts are missing;

cl.mini.asas (Courage, Wisdom)

cl.small.shortAdapter (Wisdom)

cl.mini.sas (Courage, Wisdom)

The Rovermate XL was installed in the parts folder (the directions on Spaceport don't match the contents of the .zip), but shows up as a pod rather than structural, and with a weird stripey texture.

I couldn't load either craft... I got a message indicating the following parts are missing;

cl.mini.asas (Courage, Wisdom)

cl.small.shortAdapter (Wisdom)

cl.mini.sas (Courage, Wisdom)

The Rovermate XL was installed in the parts folder (the directions on Spaceport don't match the contents of the .zip), but shows up as a pod rather than structural, and with a weird stripey texture.

Alright first, the parts you are missing are from KSPX Stock Expansion pack, it's listed in the required mods, make sure you have it installed.

Second, that's totally normal. The Rovemate XL is supposed to be considered as a command pod, not a structural part, and the weird stripey texture is it's normal texture as you can see on the pictures of the Imgur album. The pictures on the download page are outdated and were from v0.1.

Edited by stupid_chris

Alright first, the parts you are missing are from KSPX Stock Expansion pack, it's listed in the required mods, make sure you have it installed.

Second, that's totally normal. The Rovemate XL is supposed to be considered as a command pod, not a structural part, and the weird stripey texture is it's normal texture as you can see on the pictures of the Imgur album. The pictures on the download page are outdated and were from v0.1.

Ah - since it wasn't linked, my eye missed the requirement for KSPX. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.