How close to the sun can you orbit

I have a probe currently circling to 100,000K in an elliptical orbit. I'll check the fuel left to see if I can circularize that orbit. And, it does take a lot of fuel, burning against Kerban's rotation, to slow down enough to fall into the sun. That probe exploded at about 1,300 meters.

I was able to do a safe fly by at 35 KM in my Icky Russ 2 and on another attempt my ship was destroyed at 1327 meters.

Something to note; you will need massive amounts of fuel to get into a really low circular orbit around the sun.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/31251-The-Icarus-Project?p=406487&viewfull=1#post406487

Edited by Tommygun

You don't necessarily need a ton of fuel for a simple flyby. I recently had a probe around jool that got a Laythe intercept by itself which ejected it from jool and gave it a 500km flyby for 0 delta v. Yes getting a circular orbit would have been expensive but I would really consider a gravity assist to get down there.

I got a station hovering 2km over the sun in a stable orbit. It took a lot of fuel ofcourse, and mechjeb. Parts moved one by one to Moho for assembly. Finally in place, all fueltanks got dumped and remotely controlled to hit the sun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.