SIMCITY is $40....

SkyHook

You can make a "single" game, but you still have to connect to their servers, and people can use exploits to get in on your game anyway. The multiplayer is buggy beyond imagination, and the average multiplayer game lasts about a day before you have a bunch of undeveloped cities that are never getting played again. It's an exceptionally bad game from an exceptionally bad company, and you shouldn't waste any money on it.

Really, if you want my advice, don't buy anything from EA. They've proven time and time again that they don't give a **** about their customers. For them it's all about selling as much as possible to get their executives big bonuses, rather than about making money for the company by selling great games that foster a positive brand image.

They buy studios, suck their franchises dry, and then "fold" the studios into each other, which is just a nicer way of saying that they're firing the employees. There is no innovation at EA, it all happens before they come into the picture.

NO!!!you have to be signed in and on the right server and it kicks you out if the server becomes full.

Seriously? wow there goes my plans for the weekend..

I loved the original simcity, ive played it since god knows.. when, 1990? then SC2000 which was awesome..

I have heard you cannot terraform in the new simcity? ie. you are set with the terrain and you just build on it? to me this has to be the biggest failure if they did that, that was 99 percent of the fun of the original, being able to control the land mass and build to your liking.

I used to love the Sim franchise. The early ones basically defined my childhood. I have SimTower on my laptop right now.

The whole controversy about the new SimCity really saddens me. I thought PC gaming was supposed to be relatively free of this crap... at least compared to consoles.

Oh well, that's why 99% of my games are older.

Get Simcity 4 if you want a good simcity game that has decent looks.

Simcity 2013 still has the always on DRM and the total simplification of things.

With that $20 you saved pick up some other game(s).

If you have a decent PC/console and are a person that enjoys difficult games that don't hold your hand at all, grab a copy of Dark Souls. It's fun if you like "hardcore" games, I've sunk plenty of time to it, it's a lot of fun. If you get it for PC get a gamepad, because controls are designed for consoles, as it was originally a console exclusive game.

Ever since Mass Effect 3, I swore to not buy anything from EA. That saved me from this other trainwreck that was SimCity.

Don't blame the game, blame the publisher. Bioware actually cared for the players, while EA just cares about money.

I never liked terraforming. I was never creative enough to come up with a good idea to terraform, so I just left it up to the generators. And I expected after 10 years a sequel to this game would be epic. Stick to games like Cities XL if you want an updated version of it.

<-Sucker who shelled out the $80 for the pre-release bundle.

Game was a huge disappointment. I've bought games that I've regretted purchasing before, but never paid this much for a piece of crap. As a fan of the series since the original back in '89 I was duped into thinking that the game would be closer to SC4, and not like the abomination that SC:S was. Sadly EA will still get money from me because I <3 their FIFA franchise.

Is it just me, or does EA seem to kill every franchise they touch? There's Mass Effect 3, which was obviously rushed out, now there's SimCity, and I've heard that the Crysis series has gone downhill ever since the first game.

To be fair, sequels tend to perform less well than their predecessors, but yes, EA kill franchises. Their business idea is to buy a studio with a good franchise, milk the franchise dry, and then kill the studio off when this happens. It works well to get them money, but it's bad for both the market and the customers.

Really, if you want my advice, don't buy anything from EA. They've proven time and time again that they don't give a **** about their customers. For them it's all about selling as much as possible to get their executives big bonuses, rather than about making money for the company by selling great games that foster a positive brand image.

They buy studios, suck their franchises dry, and then "fold" the studios into each other, which is just a nicer way of saying that they're firing the employees. There is no innovation at EA, it all happens before they come into the picture.

The only games I buy from EA is the NFS titles, and even so I haven't bought the latest two (Most Wanted and The Run). I will consider however Need For Speed Rivals as that looks like a very solid game so far. I may go and buy it for my new PC which I'm getting in December/January. Other than that, there are toys like FIFA from EA that are fun in some ways. But other than that I don't like them much at all.

The only games I buy from EA is the NFS titles, and even so I haven't bought the latest two (Most Wanted and The Run). I will consider however Need For Speed Rivals as that looks like a very solid game so far. I may go and buy it for my new PC which I'm getting in December/January. Other than that, there are toys like FIFA from EA that are fun in some ways. But other than that I don't like them much at all.

Yeah NFS is a fair series, I like it. I got shift and Undercover. UC is less realistic, more free-roam and fun. Shift is a simulator basically.

Yeah, new Sim City is an abomination. Stick with the older ones. :P

To be fair, sequels tend to perform less well than their predecessors, but yes, EA kill franchises. Their business idea is to buy a studio with a good franchise, milk the franchise dry, and then kill the studio off when this happens. It works well to get them money, but it's bad for both the market and the customers.

This made me think of Agent Smith's virus speech.

Edited by Felsmak

I used to love the Sim franchise. The early ones basically defined my childhood. I have SimTower on my laptop right now.

The whole controversy about the new SimCity really saddens me. I thought PC gaming was supposed to be relatively free of this crap... at least compared to consoles.

Oh well, that's why 99% of my games are older.

In my experience, the PC is just as bad for issues like DRM and "always online" as the main consoles. In some cases the PC is worse, because it is much easier to sell "always online" to a PC consumer than a console consumer. Well, the problem is mainly Steam - Steam is like one huge DRM machine. For most of the games on steam, you buy it and you don't even own it, you have only payed for the privilege of licensing that game from the studio who made it. If the game becomes un-supported and the servers are switched off? Tough luck. You only paid for a license agreement, and that agreement clearly states the developer can withdraw online support at any time. At lease on a console (and I guess to a lesser extent, with some PC games) it is still possible to buy a disk and have full rights to do almost whatever you want with that game. You can play it on your console, your friends console, or sell it on and it will always work no matter how many times it swaps hands. You buy a disk based console game and it works (yes, online passes are a thing, but luckily it looks as though they are dying).

There is so much wrong with how the gaming publishers of today are treating their consumers. DRM shows that the big studios just don't trust their consumers, and they see a people as just bunches of potential cash. And people are starting to realise this and not be taken as idiots any more. Many people didn't buy Sim City because it has un-necessary draconian DRM that actively interferes with gameplay in an extremely negative way, and that certainly hurt EA's reputation and wallet. Many people were willing to boycott the Xbox One simply because of its DRM rules and Microsoft 180d that decision. At least the consumers are finally being heard, even though it's already too late as almost every game you buy is swimming in online authentications and DRM.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.