can you build an ssto?

Penguinhero

can you build an ssto?  

1. 1. can you build an ssto?

Nope. Well, not an SSTO space plane, anyway... I've never even tried.

I like building small unmanned probes and flying them around the Kerbol system on efficient trajectories. It's the mission planning and navigation that I enjoy. I even go so far as to delete the space plane parts from the game directory to improve the game's load time.

Edited by PakledHostage

For those people who have "that" mentality, feel free to call me a newbie and/or unskilled for my inability to launch a spaceplane (or any SSTO craft) in orbit and land it back to Kerbin. I'll accept it. KSP was not all about them anyways in the first place :D

screenshot53_zpsce22fc4f.png

Um. I may have accidentally built the biggest SSTO ever. Maybe. I was working on my AEIA Mk3. I came up with a nice new engine cluster.

screenshot60_zps1c0fe7da.png

Now, normally I load in drop-tanks in the center carousel. I haven't gotten that far yet. I wanted to do a "dry run" to get a feel of the engines. There are 168 engines on the Mk3. 21 engines per cluster, at eight clusters.

screenshot62_zps5315614d.png

Looked quite pretty at takeoff. Even if it is a slideshow takeoff.

screenshot58_zps93efe4da.png

What I wasn't expecting was how bloody far it made it on limited fuel. If I can get the attitude correction systems working well, I could have probably put it in orbit. Which was a shock to me. I never thought something that bloody big could be a SSTO. It still isn't, technically, because I didn't make orbit, but the potential is absolutely there. The numbers there look convincing, and I wasn't controlling my speed to maximize fuel while in the atmosphere.

I'll try tomorrow.

Edited by Whackjob

How do you land that beast?

Um, you... don't.

It isn't meant for that, its more of a interplanetary cruiser, to be refueled in orbit and then go places.

I could put a billion parachutes on it, that would work.

It honestly isn't a beast anyway, it's quite easy to build and make, I made it while fooling around really. But it looks epic.

I can, and have, built SSTOs but in each case they've basically been just for the challenge, they didn't do anything apart from take one pilot in to a low orbit and back again safely. One that can take a payload and/or extra crew in to orbit as yet exceeds my abilities, though going to keep trying.

Yeah, I built three or four, but there's no real use for them.

The problem is that they're complicated, difficult to fly, and in most cases, useless.

Most SSTOs people build can't take a useful payload to orbit, and take much more time to get there than a normal rocket.

When money and reusability are implemented in the future, I'll take a look at them, but for now I'll stick to my multi-stage rockets and pretend to re-use them by using parachutes on boosters and soft-landing upper stages on KSC.

How can you possibly get a craft without rocket engines into orbit, if the jet engines don't work in the upper atmosphere?

In theory, if you go fast enough before the engines cut out, it should be possible?

Anyway I believe there are some ion engines strapped to the back. And unless I'm mistaken, gigantor solar pannels on the front side of the wings that don't have air intakes

In theory, if you go fast enough before the engines cut out, it should be possible?

Approximately nope. The engines cut out before you reach 70km, and your orbit always passes through the point at which you last had thrust (gravity assists excepted). That means whatever trajectory you're on still passes through some point that's inside the atmosphere. The only way around that would be to get going so fast you either get an assist from the Mun or Minmus, or escape Kerbin orbit.

Approximately nope. The engines cut out before you reach 70km, and your orbit always passes through the point at which you last had thrust (gravity assists excepted). That means whatever trajectory you're on still passes through some point that's inside the atmosphere. The only way around that would be to get going so fast you either get an assist from the Mun or Minmus, or escape Kerbin orbit.

Ofcourse, stupid of me.

Kinda reminds me of the way I (and probably everyone) used to think on the first few launches, before knowing what a gravity turn was

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.