TIL Docking is 10x easier and a lot more fun in 3D

Androsynth

I spent $5 on some nice anaglyph glasses to use with my nvidia card. Usually I see nvidia's 3d vision driver as a gimmick, but not any more! I was teaching a friend to dock, cursing about how frustrating it is to lack any sense of depth. It looks like you have the ports all lined up, until you change camera angles and realize it was an optical illusion. That gave me the idea to turn on 3D and give it a whirl. Makes a world of difference!

n3tMKqw.jpg

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2yhZQB52MYcTGh0RzlESkxKejA/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a google docs image with no quality loss, it makes for a better 3D viewing experience than the jpg IMO. That's assuming people have red/blue glasses. It's only a couple of bucks to get a really cheap pair; I went high-end by spending $5. Heh. I don't like to spend a lot on gimmicks so this was a great way to go, i thought. After all, I had the graphics card already, and the 3d vision driver is free, so.. oh, plus it works with most games.

Edited by Androsynth

I'm going to have to try this at home with my 570GTX. I THINK I have a pair of R&B glasses laying around. The thing is, I don't think my monitors support it, or, the card won't let me change into a 3D mode. *shrugs* Something to play with tonight after work I guess.

... The thing is, I don't think my monitors support it, or, the card won't let me change into a 3D mode. ...

Monitor support has nothing to do with this. Anaglyph 3D relies on color, not on polarization of frame swapping.

I'm going to have to try this at home with my 570GTX. I THINK I have a pair of R&B glasses laying around. The thing is, I don't think my monitors support it, or, the card won't let me change into a 3D mode. *shrugs* Something to play with tonight after work I guess.

All monitors/tvs supports anaglyph 3d. If you cant use the nvidia 3d drivers then you might want to check out iz3d anaglyph driver which is free.

How do you turn it on actually? I know that stereoscopic 3D is far better ofc, but I would like to try this for few games perhaps, just for lols.

In my nvidia control panel i see only "set up stereoscopic 3d" nothing about anaglyph 3D... :/

PS: so it is there.. just run set up wizzard for dummies and then you can run KSp and its in 3D :D

Edited by elkar

I don't imagine it's possible for you to make a video of this in 3d anaglyph? :)

Another thought...how awesome would it be to have a ksp flight simulator. Like how some people build plane flight sims with controls and button that actually look like they came from a plane, surround sound etc. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.