Space Shuttle Help

Hi all,

I am having another go at a space shuttle, and I've almost got it to work. The thing is, when i decouple the side SRBs, the whole craft goes into an unrecoverable engine over nose spin. This usually results in both my astronauts being killed.

Also, I am using KW rocketry, Tiberdyne space shuttle system, Taverios pizza and aerospace and mk3 parts expansion.

screenshot8.png

screenshot9.png

My advice is to not use SRB's. They look cool and authentic, but just like the real space shuttle, they leave no room for error. Run liquids, you can control them better and you can cut their throttle and decouple them with an action group. It is much easier.

I've been designing a realistic space shuttle recently using KW Rocketry and Stock parts. Though still in testing, it works quite well already (achieved suborbital flight with apoapsis at 100km), but is a pain in the arse to fly. I'm actually using small thrusters to change/control attitude with the external fuel tank on the shuttle.

I do in fact use SRBs, an assembly of a huge and a smaller one each, to create thrust in the right direction (each booster produces 1100kN, as you might guess, I have two of them)

The shuttle itself has 1050kN of thrust on the main engines. This is just wnough to uave a thrust to weight ratio of above one after booster separation.

If you're interested in pictures or the craft file of my shuttle just tell me (pictures will be more helpful, trust me, the prelaunch protocol is looong, and even MechJeb won't fly it :P)

Anyways just ask for more help as needed...

Edited by steffen_anywhere

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.