Why do people believe in these things?

Euracil

That is where modern conspiracies are born.

I mean, I've hung around the crazies before; they are anything but stupid. Ignorant, misinformed, brainwashed even... but there is no coorelation between "Critical Thinking Ability" and "belief in conspiracy theories. They just use the same form of argumentation that I've seen time and time again, posting a Wikipedia article and saying "This article proves me right Q.E.D."

Never mind that said person did not "read and comprehend" the article and said article actually disagrees with said opinion. Although the article was misleading due to extremely poor writing and handling of the subject matter; hence it is understandable that the person got misinformed.

And don't forget that there's a lot of deliberately false information out there, presented as fact, including fake or willfully corrupted "scientific data" that's very hard for those without a background in science (and often a background in the specific scientific field) to notice the invalidity of.

Often that data is put out by people with an agenda in order to get others to follow that agenda. Think the hockey stick graph in the IPCC reports, long since discredited but still perpetuated as factual and scientifically correct.

worse, they advertise it as real (at least here), most people never look at the credits, they switch to the next show the moment the feature ends.

Even worse, it was on Discovery!, the so-called Documentry channel!

Even worse, it was on Discovery!, the so-called Documentry channel!

I've taken to calling History the "conspiracy theory channel", they're owned by Discovery and even worse.

"Ancient Aliens" is so far out they're still calling the Mayan Apocalypse theory to be factual, despite that having run out last year when nothing happened (they just removed the year from the predictions for the show).

And one episode they claimed Christ was actually an alien and that the corpse disappearing from the grave was in fact him being beamed back to the mothership using a teleporter device.

I've taken to calling History the "conspiracy theory channel", they're owned by Discovery and even worse.

"Ancient Aliens" is so far out they're still calling the Mayan Apocalypse theory to be factual, despite that having run out last year when nothing happened (they just removed the year from the predictions for the show).

And one episode they claimed Christ was actually an alien and that the corpse disappearing from the grave was in fact him being beamed back to the mothership using a teleporter device.

I'd like to know how much wacky tobacky they were on when they made those claims.

• 1 month later...
Actually, the Mayans didn't have leap years, so with some calculations, we know that their calendar ended sometime in mid-2012.

Not even calendar's end, just a different "segment" of the calendar, kind of like how we have centuries.

A lot of the reason behind normal people being willing to believe or at least consider outlandish conspiracy theories, is that governments around the world have very often been found conspiring against their own people or outside targets, it's a matter of trust, human beings know each other to be liars and manipulators, and as a result many people are willing to believe a conspiracy happened regardless of it's veracity, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you! :)

Edited by Custard Donut (In Space)

I made a great mistake one day. I ventured into the flat earthers forum looking for a laugh. All it did was piss me off. Stay away. Stay far far away. It's pure, uncut insanity over there. And the forums huge. Scary...

So, why is there a rule against talking about conspiracies on this forum?

Because it will always result in pointless debate. Things will be said and feelings will be hurt. Easier to stop the insults and flaming before it starts.

Do you guys remember the flat-earth conspiracist? That is plain stupid.

(No offense) A lot of these conspiracies are driven by fear or ignorance, and many have lasted a long time. Take religion as an example (not a conspiracy, but very similar): Imagine you're a kid raised on a totally atheist and scientific ambient. You learn basic orbital mechanics, evolution, mathematics, chemistry, etc. In school and never hear about religion... And when you're a grown up man/woman, this guy in the street approaches you with a book and tells you there's a guy floating in the sky that created the universe, he decided to pay close attention to the earth and tell the newly created humans not to divorce and not to be gay..... You'd slap him in the face and run away as fast as you could.

Ignorance and fear may start these, but another problem is that people are born and raised in families that believe in, a flat earth, for example. They grow up in ignorance, and then they will refuse to change their thoughts, even if you show them obvious evidence that prooved them wrong.

Why do people always directly target christians?

i mean...

why can't you let us believe what we want to believe instead of attack us at every single turn.

and thinking that everyone of us are retarded?

I am 100% SURE THIS HAPPENS ON EVERY SINGLE FREAKING SCIENCE EVENT ON THE PLANET SOMEONE COMES OUT AND ATTACKS CHRISTIANS! BUT NO WHEN WE SAY A SINGLE THING ABOUT ATHEISM ALL YOU CAN COME UP WITH THIS REPEATED STUFF!

It just makes me rage when people decide to attack us for whatever we believe even if it is not affecting them.

always christians do that, christians are that, never a word about anyone else.