STS systems

ThePyrateCaptain

Well it seems that everyone here at some point has tried to fly the Shuttle Transportation System, otherwise known as the Space shuttle. I too have tried, and am now testing the version by Rocket2Guns CSS 2.0 which is done very well, but flyability is in question. I am currently working on the SBR fuel tank separation. I have gotten the thrust systems working well enough. To any one working on the same project, the THRUST GIMBAL has to be set at 10.5 this is STS accurate, and it helps in the launch, however, you must jettison the Srbs when they are 98% exhausted. This prevents the nasty over thrust in a semi vacuum and prevents the shuttle from flipping over.

Once I get the numerical timing down, I shall post the sequence.

More to follow.

Why name the thread shuttle transport systems sytems

Actually I put it in the wrong location. As for the name? What's in a name? He he he, ok because I don't actually like the name Component Space Shuttle, it's a Space Transportation System, but I like the name Shuttle Transportation System. Oh and I have had a successful launch smooth transition to orbit, SRB separation, and fuel tank jettison.

Actually I put it in the wrong location. As for the name? What's in a name? He he he, ok because I don't actually like the name Component Space Shuttle, it's a Space Transportation System, but I like the name Shuttle Transportation System. Oh and I have had a successful launch smooth transition to orbit, SRB separation, and fuel tank jettison.

I'm saying you named the thread 'STS Systems' or 'Shuttle Transport Systems Systems'

You put systems twice if you say the abbreviation.

Success, the launching sequence works fine.

1..main engine ignition,

2..(action group 10) SRB ignition and clamp release,

3..press t to control roll. (optional if using mechjeb it's automatic)

4..1700 up, roll to port 45degrees.

5..98% expended SRB fuel, press space to jettison Srbs. Vehicle will throttle up.

6..34000 main fuel expended, wait for power down, press space to jettison tank.

7.. Kill main engines, switch to orbital maneuvering engines.

8.. Standardize orbit, circular orbit below 200k

And viola your in orbit.

Now as for landing? Dunno, I'm not a pilot.

The SCA is a system that transports the shuttle, hence Shuttle Transportation System. The crawlers were systems that transport the shuttle, as well.

The Shuttle was part of the Space Transportation System, so the Shuttle Transportation System must be something else.

Wouldn't the Shuttle Transportation System be the 747 that transports the shuttle?

That's strange...Why it wasn't carried by a B52-B Stratofortress (Or the famous "Balls", as NASA named their B52)?

That's strange...Why it wasn't carried by a B52-B Stratofortress (Or the famous "Balls", as NASA named their B52)?

It's because the B-52 couldn't carry the weight of the shuttle. They considered the C-5 Galaxy but rejected it in favor of the 747's low wing design.

They had to strip that 747 down to bare metal except for the small first class section so that the aircraft with shuttle would actually be able to get off the ground!

The SCA is a system that transports the shuttle, hence Shuttle Transportation System. The crawlers were systems that transport the shuttle, as well.

The Shuttle was part of the Space Transportation System, so the Shuttle Transportation System must be something else.

sure, that makes logical sense, but its the STS because the shuttle transports stuff. not because its a plane that moves the shuttle.

but its the STS because the shuttle transports stuff

My point is that STS in regards to shuttle does not mean Shuttle Transportation System, it means Space Transportation System. STS was a program from the 1960s, the only surviving part being the Shuttle.

If you're going to use the vocabulary, use it correctly. It irks me. (But when I was growing up, I had to learn the OV-XXX designations to be able to talk to my father about them, so I tend to be a bit pedantic about the terminology sometimes.)

...If you're going to use the vocabulary, use it correctly. It irks me. (But when I was growing up, I had to learn the OV-XXX designations to be able to talk to my father about them, so I tend to be a bit pedantic about the terminology sometimes.)

For reference:

OV-099 = Challenger

OV-101 = Enterprise

OV-102 = Columbia

OV-103 = Discovery

OV-104 = Atlantis

OV-105 = Endeavour

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.