What are you all using to create space stations with?

Gary_P

I'm planning my space station and I plan to use that inflatable habitat.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/inflatable-habitat-base-update-0-20/

And NFJ's truss pack

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/nfj-truss-pack/

Any I found aviation lights too, just to make the station look cool.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/aviation-lights-v1-2/

So what are you all using to "glue" these parts together with? Not the standard wobbly docking ports I hope. And how are you getting these parts up there into space?

Any info would be great. :)

Edited by Gary_P

Completely stock parts, even down to the wobbly Clampotrons. I see the wobble as a challenge, but it's really not that big a deal on my space station, heh. Actually, thinking about it, I have the winches from the KAS mod dotted around the station as a semi-realistic 'tether' system, so if my brave kosmonauts run out of RCS, I can just reel 'em back in! I don't like the Clampotron Sr's that much, so I just try and get around the wobble in other ways. Having the RCS nozzles on each module so the whole station turns at once is one example. Here's a photo of my Kerbin station if you're interested :D

4B6EA914C139BF3F3E1A742935D96203A18C66F4

*snip*

So what are you all using to "glue" these parts together with? Not the standard wobbly docking ports I hope. And how are you getting these parts up there into space?

Any info would be great. :)

Those packs you have a good ones, I do like the aviations lights pack (made a

with them once). I recommend you check out the Deep Space mission pack, has some nice big girders and some other cool parts.

Also the Kosmos pack, very nicely made parts in that.

And the B9 aerospace pack has lots of large panel parts that are good for building large things and keeping part count down as well as many other high quality parts.

Glue to stop wobble; you need Quantum Struts!!

When it comes to making launch vehicles, check out the KW rocketry pack. It has lots of larger fuel tanks. They have the same fuel to weight ratio as stock tanks, it just means you can keep part count down by using one big tank in place of several small ones (they also have way nicer textures). It also has some really nice fairings to cover your payloads and make rockets that actually look like rockets.

The B9 and KW packs have lots of parts, might be cruel to your computer to load up all parts from both packs together, but its hard not to, sooo many nice parts!

I'll use anything as a structural object; sometimes in rather unique ways. (Like the airscoop [Aero]; when rotated around it looks very much like a water drop).

And of course, ignore "lag" and go with as many part pieces as you need; I'm on a vastly inferior machine yet seem to care far less about FPS and willing to increase my part count than those on vastly superior machines.

*Not really working on space stations that much right now though; looking for bits and pieces for my somewhat elaborate munbase (landing in built "buildings" is annoyingly difficult though)

I use stock and parts from KW Rocketry, as well as spherical fuel tank mod for my refuelling portions of the station. Making them from completely stock parts to survive updates is actually a fantastic idea that I'd never had before...

screenshot28_zpsa0c22fad.png

Thank you all for the cool pictures.

@sierra_seven, that's an interesting point about having RCS on every piece. I had not thought about that.

@katateochi Holy crap. Thanks for the links. I need to go to the space center more often. I saved the links and if I get time (w/o wifey) this afternoon I'll try them out. I think my PC should handle it. It's a monster as of 2 years ago.

@Werwolf. what are those bubble looking things? I didn't see them in the stock parts folders. Or else I missed them.

Also, and this is purely from my construction background: It seems that if you created a sort of bench where a few parts were interconnected in a cube shape that each piece would have more then one point of contact with the other. Or had them connected with two ports on each end instead of one.

I'll see if I can mock something up and see if it holds together before I inflict it on my poor Kerbals. Or I could make a quickie in Blender and show it with sketch fab.

I.K.S.S ''Milestone'':

6t6n.jpg

Made using:

- Quantum Struts

- Kerbal Engineer Redux

- Aviation Lights

- RemoteTech

- Stock parts

- Not sure if I included Chatterer but what the heck :P

Clamp-o-tron Senior keeps the modules together. But you CAN use Quantum struts to apply a rigid joint to docked structures. It does the job of being a refuel outpost/spaceman depot :P

Holds the equivalent of 4 orange tanks in rocket fuel.

Edited by GROOV3ST3R

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.