[0.22] UbioZur Welding Ltd. 2.0 Dev STOPPED

UbioZur

Swapping a . for a _ may have something to do with how operating systems handle file name extensions. For Windows, until Windows 95, there could be only one . in a file name and only three characters after the .

Since Windows 95, any number of . can be in a name, but by default the final one and all characters after it are hidden from the user for many types of files unless the box to hide extensions for known file types is unchecked.

Windows still keeps a 8.3 name for files where the first six characters are followed by a ~1 then a . and a three character extension. Should two files in the same folder have the same first six characters and whatever rule governing the characters used for the extension gives them the same extension, one of the files will have a 2 after the ~. Don't ask me what it does if more than 9 files would have identical but for the number short names.

How do Linux and OS X (which is based on BSD) handle more than one . in a file name?

Swapping a . for a _ may have something to do with how operating systems handle file name extensions. For Windows, until Windows 95, there could be only one . in a file name and only three characters after the .

Since Windows 95, any number of . can be in a name, but by default the final one and all characters after it are hidden from the user for many types of files unless the box to hide extensions for known file types is unchecked.

Windows still keeps a 8.3 name for files where the first six characters are followed by a ~1 then a . and a three character extension. Should two files in the same folder have the same first six characters and whatever rule governing the characters used for the extension gives them the same extension, one of the files will have a 2 after the ~. Don't ask me what it does if more than 9 files would have identical but for the number short names.

How do Linux and OS X (which is based on BSD) handle more than one . in a file name?

The thing is that it's not about the file name but the part name. :)

Maybe you should intergrated it with squads subassembly system.

You could make it so you have the option to weld parts in a subassembly together when you create it, or just leave it as multiple parts for normal subassemblys. Would be a really epic replacement for the WIP UI and wound make the mod easier to use, as well as providing a ready-made way to delete old or broken welded sections.

Wow! are all the blanks, the tanks that it can't find the model?

No, the exploded model only had some warnings about modules that couldn't be duplicated (RCS ports).

All of the parts in that weld are present, they are just all exploded apart like an engineering drawing. It's kind of cool, other than the fact that it doesn't work. :P

Maybe you should intergrated it with squads subassembly system.

You could make it so you have the option to weld parts in a subassembly together when you create it, or just leave it as multiple parts for normal subassemblys. Would be a really epic replacement for the WIP UI and wound make the mod easier to use, as well as providing a ready-made way to delete old or broken welded sections.

It is actually harder to try to hook something to the squad code that we don't have access to, than making something new.

No, the exploded model only had some warnings about modules that couldn't be duplicated (RCS ports).

All of the parts in that weld are present, they are just all exploded apart like an engineering drawing. It's kind of cool, other than the fact that it doesn't work. :P

Oh that's bad then I guess! The RCS warning is just to say to not use it to rotate (nothing bad). However the fact that it's separated... not sure about that one! Does the log give any warning/error for my weld? or the loading of the part.cfg?

It would be cool if it could fly like that. It's often been said that a helicopter is a loose collection of parts flying in formation, this would be the rocket version. ;)

It would be cool if it could fly like that. It's often been said that a helicopter is a loose collection of parts flying in formation, this would be the rocket version. ;)

It does actually... all the parts behave as if they are welded in the position they are in.

Oh that's bad then I guess! The RCS warning is just to say to not use it to rotate (nothing bad). However the fact that it's separated... not sure about that one! Does the log give any warning/error for my weld? or the loading of the part.cfg?

No, no warnings.

Edited by JordanL

It does actually... all the parts behave as if they are welded in the position they are in.

No, no warnings.

Hum so there isn't suppose to be anything to replace those blank stuff...And it worked before?

Looks like it's all those truss that makes it bad. What mod are they from?

Can you try to weld just two truss together, and see how it goes?

So, the 'radial parts sliding off' problem... I seem to recall it has something to do with distance from Center of Mass. Is that right? Perhaps everything I've welded is too big, and I should build them in segments. Would that help, or am I barking on the wrong track?

I had 2 CoM problem that are fixed now. it seems more like a node position problem

Few bug fix

Playtest 5 uploaded.

Fixed issue reported about some missing model and directory bugs for a lot of mods.

2.0 Playtest 5

FIXED Some problem with the config file not found.

FIXED Some problem with the mesh file when the config file is not named part.cfg

FIXED Linux problem (hopefully need testing)

Edited by UbioZur

Hum so there isn't suppose to be anything to replace those blank stuff...And it worked before?

Looks like it's all those truss that makes it bad. What mod are they from?

Can you try to weld just two truss together, and see how it goes?

They're from TAL Spherical and Radial Tanks, and no, just welding two explodes still.

They're from TAL Spherical and Radial Tanks, and no, just welding two explodes still.

Ok I found the problem, oh nice scale and rescale factor thingy problem and all that :P

You have to add 0.25 to each scale number of each of the MODEL{} of the truss, and possibly the fuel tanks also.

I will have it fixed for the next version.

Ok I found the problem, oh nice scale and rescale factor thingy problem and all that :P

You have to add 0.25 to each scale number of each of the MODEL{} of the truss, and possibly the fuel tanks also.

I will have it fixed for the next version.

Ah, alright, excellent. :) Thanks man, this mod makes this game playable for so many things.

Downloaded the new version, and suddenly radial parts are working normally. Thanks again!

Can you send me smaller version of that image so I can put it on the showcase on the first post please? (the forum don't allow resizing the images!)

My parts seem to be giving you quite the headache, UbioZur. Sorry about that :blush:

Ahah it's not that much of a big deal, and I had other reports of other mods that had the same thing.

It's just that there is that scale (default 1.0) and rescale (default 1.25!) option in the config file, and they don't all apply to the same things etc...

I remember last time I used this, I had a problem attaching the welded part onto the parent object's nodes. Has this been fixed or has it been put on the back burner?

I found a workaround, search for my post a few pages before your reply!

I remember last time I used this, I had a problem attaching the welded part onto the parent object's nodes. Has this been fixed or has it been put on the back burner?

I seems to have missed you post!

here is Madeimer anwer, and also my try for this bug. This is a Squad related bug, You can only stack attach the part to another one with the last x number of node that have the same orientation.

Hi :)

- Nodes not attaching and why -

Sometimes (but not everytime) the welded part will not attach to existing part on most of its nodes.

In fact, only ONE node will actually attach to an existing part.

The node that WILL ALWAYS attach is the LAST NODE in the part.cfg of the welded part.

As a temporary solution, when my parts dont attach, i move the node that i want to attach so that it is the LAST node specified in the CFG and the parts succesfully attaches.

Note that this has nothing to do about parts that attach TO the welded part after it is a "solid" shape.

So I have done some test and found out why, this is actually the same bug, and sadly not from me (so I can't fix it).

after messing around for a while, I decided to try playing with the station hub stock part, since it has several nodes and sideway nodes.

You can stack your part to another part ONLY on the last set of node that have the same orientation.

So if you can't stack you welded part to a part, make sure you move the node you want to attach to the bottom of the node list.

I have reported the bug to Squad to see if they can do something about it (it will fix the station hub and the mini node and may be futur parts)

Does this welding mod still break RemoteTech? Would love to use these together.

If you know what was breaking, you oculd set a quick test environement.

If you still try to weld several part that have the same Rt module, It will still give you a warning message.

Most of the model/config files issue have been resolved.

Most of the model/config files issue have been resolved.

Seems like I found one... rotation-related... The FusTek parts are composed of multiple MODELs with various rotations, looks like the second column (x, y, z?) is not calculated correctly. Left is welded part, right is mock-up of what it should be. Positions of attachment nodes are correct tho, just the models aren't.

bxKnfdV.png

Edit:

Seems if I build it vertically rather than horizontally it works out, except for one flipped hatch but I can fix that manually.

Edit2:

rotation = 360,1.017778E-13,180

Yea... that should probably be 0,0,180.

Edit3:

By the way, I noticed that the CoM was way off. Which caused it to do rather weird back flips on the runway. You should either center all meshes to the origin (lots of work, makes camera work correctly too) or calculate CoMOffset (easy, but only applies to physics).

Edited by xtremeqg

Does this welding mod still break RemoteTech? Would love to use these together.

I found that RemoteTech does some strange things in their config files as in they define regular parts like everyone, except without the "TechRequired" parameter which means it won't show up in Career Mode. They also have a set of secondary configuration files where they define additional parameters using a syntax such as "@PART[RTShortAntenna1]".

I presume this is how they append additional parameters to existing parts... They also use !MODULE in order to replace properties it seems.

In any case the problem lies with RemoteTech. By moving the TechRequired parameter into the actual part.cfg files I managed to get RemoteTech working together with the welding mod. Unfortunately it does seem to mess up the tech tree a bit if you have existing craft in space so I'd recommend starting from a fresh save.

I made a patch for RemoteTech for anyone interested: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzWWfxx7EJAeNzhfQnRUUjJoQ1E

Edited by xtremeqg

Seems like I found one... rotation-related... The FusTek parts are composed of multiple MODELs with various rotations, looks like the second column (x, y, z?) is not calculated correctly. Left is welded part, right is mock-up of what it should be. Positions of attachment nodes are correct tho, just the models aren't.

bxKnfdV.png

Edit:

Seems if I build it vertically rather than horizontally it works out, except for one flipped hatch but I can fix that manually.

Edit2:

rotation = 360,1.017778E-13,180

Yea... that should probably be 0,0,180.

Edit3:

By the way, I noticed that the CoM was way off. Which caused it to do rather weird back flips on the runway. You should either center all meshes to the origin (lots of work, makes camera work correctly too) or calculate CoMOffset (easy, but only applies to physics).

Humm so you took the first pic in the SPH? I have to have a look at it, rotation in the SPH are different than in the VAB (there is an initial one).

360,1.017778E-13,180 is actually equal to 0,0,180, it's just how it's saved in the game.

For the CoM I calculate it depending on the dry mass of the object, it should be the same than the part not welded. I will have a look for FusTeck.

I found that RemoteTech does some strange things in their config files as in they define regular parts like everyone, except without the "TechRequired" parameter which means it won't show up in Career Mode. They also have a set of secondary configuration files where they define additional parameters using a syntax such as "@PART[RTShortAntenna1]".

I presume this is how they append additional parameters to existing parts... They also use !MODULE in order to replace properties it seems.

In any case the problem lies with RemoteTech. By moving the TechRequired parameter into the actual part.cfg files I managed to get RemoteTech working together with the welding mod. Unfortunately it does seem to mess up the tech tree a bit if you have existing craft in space so I'd recommend starting from a fresh save.

I made a patch for RemoteTech for anyone interested: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzWWfxx7EJAeNzhfQnRUUjJoQ1E

Do you have the last version of Rt2? because it says on their post that it is integrated in career mode, so they should have the TechRequired.

For the seconf config file, it is for ModuleManager. I have been reported it has some issue with the welding tool mainly because I reload the database in game, and MM does it's magic at the loading of the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.