[0.22] UbioZur Welding Ltd. 2.0 Dev STOPPED

UbioZur

Humm so you took the first pic in the SPH? I have to have a look at it, rotation in the SPH are different than in the VAB (there is an initial one).

Yea... it's more convenient to prototype big things like below in the SPH but as I said, the attachment nodes were correct (and floating mid-air) so it's probably just some typo.

NJOACXh.png

360,1.017778E-13,180 is actually equal to 0,0,180, it's just how it's saved in the game.

Actually no... 360 ≠ 0 and 1.017778E-13 ≠ 0. The former is benign and simply modulus 360 should fix that but mathematically it's the same. The latter however can be a problem as fractions will add up.

For the CoM I calculate it depending on the dry mass of the object, it should be the same than the part not welded. I will have a look for FusTeck.

I grabbed the ones from git and hacked the parts somewhere into the tech tree, hence the weird ENG texture.

Do you have the last version of Rt2? because it says on their post that it is integrated in career mode, so they should have the TechRequired.

I do, but it seems like they are using MM to add the TechRequired property which is causing the parts to disappear in career mode when you weld something.

For the seconf config file, it is for ModuleManager. I have been reported it has some issue with the welding tool mainly because I reload the database in game, and MM does it's magic at the loading of the game.

Ahhhh... *restarts game*. That's why the parts were lacking things like dish ranges and power requirements. Maybe MM has some interface to call which causes it to do whatever it needs to do?

I quit playing KSP because of the lag, as most of my builds are rather high part counts, and decided to wait for 64 bit support.

Now I don't have to! Thank you!

64bits will not improve the CPU processing time for high part counts! It will just allow you to load more parts -> more mods, and better textures.

However I have glad I can get you playing KSP again. keep in mind it is still under development, so some bugs may happen. Feel free to report them.

64bits will not improve the CPU processing time for high part counts! It will just allow you to load more parts -> more mods, and better textures.

However I have glad I can get you playing KSP again. keep in mind it is still under development, so some bugs may happen. Feel free to report them.

Well...your mod is all the more important then!

Anyway, the only problem I've run into is the B9 Extended Radial mounts. Is there a problem with radial mounts in general, or is this part just not incorporated? If the later, how do I fix it?

Thanks again.

Well...your mod is all the more important then!

Anyway, the only problem I've run into is the B9 Extended Radial mounts. Is there a problem with radial mounts in general, or is this part just not incorporated? If the later, how do I fix it?

Thanks again.

If it's the fact that you can't attach your part to other after you radially weld part to it, it's a bug with how ksp handle the nodes, check one or 2 pages ago, i have posted a reason why and how to fix it

If it's the fact that you can't attach your part to other after you radially weld part to it, it's a bug with how ksp handle the nodes, check one or 2 pages ago, i have posted a reason why and how to fix it

Alright, thanks. Apologies, but the thread is nearly 50 pages long. KSP mod threads have a bad habit of not posting work-arounds on their first post.

Anyway, after messing around with you mod for a while, I can honestly say that this is a true must have for KSP. You've single-handedly renewed my interest in the game. You da man.

Edit:

Also, as what happened to guy a few pages back, I've found this:

screenshot17_zps2a25d26c.png

Yikes! Does this in both VAB and SPH.

Edited by MortalDanger

Alright, thanks. Apologies, but the thread is nearly 50 pages long. KSP mod threads have a bad habit of not posting work-arounds on their first post.

Anyway, after messing around with you mod for a while, I can honestly say that this is a true must have for KSP. You've single-handedly renewed my interest in the game. You da man.

on't worry, I need to make that FAQ section on my first post. I am thinking on making it via blog post so it's easier to managed.

Hi,

just finished my latest project. The Citadel from Mass Effect. Had some problems with the welding mod, but it worked out at the end. No FPS problems, it's such a useful mod. Thanks again.

1224 parts made into 1.

PsJtq75h.png

For size comparison:

b3nERsqh.png

I had time and also welded my Normandy.

622 parts into 1.

wRi9lfQh.png

Here is the imgur link for the album.

Could you make the MagicSmokeIndustries Infernal Robotics mod work with yours, thats one of the things i would like to see.

I'd really like to try out this mod, but I can't seem to get it to work. I can see the weld button, press it, name the part, a file shows up in the mod folder, but I can't find that part in the VAB. I tried it out on a new save without other mods. Anyone knows what I could do?

Hi,

just finished my latest project. The Citadel from Mass Effect.

Wow, that's a weird looking thing! Is the perspective playing tricks on my eyes, or do the wings move?
I'd really like to try out this mod, but I can't seem to get it to work. I can see the weld button, press it, name the part, a file shows up in the mod folder, but I can't find that part in the VAB. I tried it out on a new save without other mods. Anyone knows what I could do?
The welded part should appear in the category you specify. The list will refresh after you change to a different category and back. Edited by Zephram Kerman

The welded part should appear in the category you specify. The list will refresh after you change to a different category and back.

I have been having the same problem as Whitecold, but the welded part does not appear in any category whether switching category tabs or restarting the game. (Strangely enough I'm trying the mod to help with stability issues in creating FAL/FTL craft...)

Any work around for this?

Try building your part vertically rather than horizontally or vice-versa. Worked for me.

622 parts into 1.

wRi9lfQh.png

Wasn't there some blender file floating around with a fully-featured high-res model of the Normandy?

I have been having the same problem as Whitecold, but the welded part does not appear in any category whether switching category tabs or restarting the game. (Strangely enough I'm trying the mod to help with stability issues in creating FAL/FTL craft...)

When you weld the part you are asked which category to put the part in (it seems to picks the root node's category). The new part in my case was listed last (after all the stock parts) in that category. I usually have to exit and re-enter the VAB cause all the parts become unselectable (and sometimes blank). Also, if you are playing career mode you'll need to unlock the new part first.

Edited by xtremeqg

When you weld the part you are asked which category to put the part in (it seems to picks the root node's category). The new part in my case was listed last (after all the stock parts) in that category. I usually have to exit and re-enter the VAB cause all the parts become unselectable (and sometimes blank). Also, if you are playing career mode you'll need to unlock the new part first.

Thanks, but when I say the part doesn't appear in the parts list... I mean it doesn't appear in the parts list :cool: No amount of switching part tabs, buildings, tech unlocking, sandboxing, or anything seems to make it appear. I've looked at the .cfgs for the parts I've tried making (as well as checked the ksp.log) and don't see anything immediately obviously wrong with them, but there's a chance I don't know what I should be looking for there. It's like the game forgets having loaded them once you get to one of the assembly buildings.

FWIW I'm running KSP under Steam on a Mac.

Thanks, but when I say the part doesn't appear in the parts list... I mean it doesn't appear in the parts list :cool: No amount of switching part tabs, buildings, tech unlocking, sandboxing, or anything seems to make it appear. I've looked at the .cfgs for the parts I've tried making (as well as checked the ksp.log) and don't see anything immediately obviously wrong with them, but there's a chance I don't know what I should be looking for there. It's like the game forgets having loaded them once you get to one of the assembly buildings.

I detected the station science which uses welded models does not load for me, and I'm also on a mac, is there anything OS specific in the plugin?

I am back with you - I am working on the Millennium Falcon today, in 0.22, with the current (Version 2.0 Playtest 5) Weld It mod downloaded from Spaceport. I will report observations, successes, and failures.

So far:

You CAN weld numerous engines to the part. These will all appear to the system as one engine. You will see one engine being controllable in the Action Groups dialog, and also in your staging selection (lower right of main screen). You CANNOT have two groups of engines welded to the part, and expect to control them separately. Consider welding a separate part with the group 2 engines.

In the SPH: You MUST orient the groups of parts to be welded UP. UP = highlighting and pressing "W" once. The Welded part will appear "UP" in the browser, but will appear pointed out the hanger door normally when selected, and all other orientation issues will have been resolved.

I am experiencing numerous lock ups at the point of "Your new part has been saved..." - however the part DOES get created and saved. I must Ctrl-Alt-Del and cancel KSP, and restart it. I suspect this is related to the large parts count. Note: I have made it through this process two times with no lock up.

CAN weld multiple command elements / command modules to part - (functionality still under test)...

CAN weld lights - but they do not function.

Torque wheels can be welded and retain functionality however they NEED electric power from some source, such as a command module / element or battery added to the finished vehicle.

I will have more comments on command elements as the day progresses. It's a complicated topic and I have not fully rectified.

http://youtu.be/K_5oE2aeMWA

http://youtu.be/fYNLibPAJrI

I am still fighting the system for control. It appears the new Weld It mod does not leave the COM in the center as before. I need to find the center of mass in the CFG and zero it. HELP!

If anyone can help me on resetting the COM to center either on the part I made or the craft I would greatly appreciate it.

LONG LIVE UBIOZURRRRRRRR

============================================

COM issue SOLVED (my apologies if this or any other information is repetitive):

The COM of the pre-welded assembly is being preserved in the welded part (now - wasn't in an earlier version) . I just need to get the COM where I want it before welding.

I verified this by sticking the large orange tank on the side of the ship and the COM was displaced, and stay there in the welded part.

Edited by Guest

I am still fighting the system for control. It appears the new Weld It mod does not leave the COM in the center as before. I need to find the center of mass in the CFG and zero it. HELP!

If anyone can help me on resetting the COM to center either on the part I made or the craft I would greatly appreciate it.

COM issue SOLVED (my apologies if this or any other information is repetitive):

The COM of the pre-welded assembly is being preserved in the welded part (now - wasn't in an earlier version) . I just need to get the COM where I want it before welding.

I verified this by sticking the large orange tank on the side of the ship and the COM was displaced, and stay there in the welded part.

In my case I just took the positions of some attachment nodes at the ends and calculated the CoM manually, then added some fudge to make it more "natural" (lean towards heavier parts).

Hopefully UbioZur can implement it in such a way that it takes the final positions of all parts, grabs the CoM + mass + CoMOffset (multiplied by rotation vector of course) and then work out the average which would be the correct CoMOffset. For awesome points all part positions should then be offset by this value so that the camera also sticks to the CoM.

Okay, it seems to be B9 structural parts that are acting all wonky:

screenshot18_zps501823fb.png

Any work around for this?

I would says this is a scaling problem. I may have a look at it when I can.

Hi,

just finished my latest project. The Citadel from Mass Effect. Had some problems with the welding mod, but it worked out at the end. No FPS problems, it's such a useful mod. Thanks again.

1224 parts made into 1.

For size comparison:

622 parts into 1.

Could you make the MagicSmokeIndustries Infernal Robotics mod work with yours, thats one of the things i would like to see.

That look awesome man!

I can have a look for magic smoke industries, what is not working exactly?

In career mode the parts are all in the last mod specific nodes of the trees.

In sandbox, you may want to check the log to know if the loading give an error.

Can you send me the part.cfg and the log file please?

I detected the station science which uses welded models does not load for me, and I'm also on a mac, is there anything OS specific in the plugin?

I did not had mac report for any bug, but it would also be that there wasn't any mac users before.

I am back with you - I am working on the Millennium Falcon today, in 0.22, with the current (Version 2.0 Playtest 5) Weld It mod downloaded from Spaceport. I will report observations, successes, and failures.

So far:

You CAN weld numerous engines to the part. These will all appear to the system as one engine. You will see one engine being controllable in the Action Groups dialog, and also in your staging selection (lower right of main screen). You CANNOT have two groups of engines welded to the part, and expect to control them separately. Consider welding a separate part with the group 2 engines.

Engine are still not the best (due to some modules).

In the SPH: You MUST orient the groups of parts to be welded UP. UP = highlighting and pressing "W" once. The Welded part will appear "UP" in the browser, but will appear pointed out the hanger door normally when selected, and all other orientation issues will have been resolved.

I need to get that SPH orientation bug sorted out asap!

I am experiencing numerous lock ups at the point of "Your new part has been saved..." - however the part DOES get created and saved. I must Ctrl-Alt-Del and cancel KSP, and restart it. I suspect this is related to the large parts count. Note: I have made it through this process two times with no lock up.

try to disable the auto reload of the database in the config file.

CAN weld multiple command elements / command modules to part - (functionality still under test)...

There isn't a lot of point of it :P but well :)

CAN weld lights - but they do not function.

KSP limits :(

Torque wheels can be welded and retain functionality however they NEED electric power from some source, such as a command module / element or battery added to the finished vehicle.

Even with SAS off? if so there is a but, else, it's normal.

I will have more comments on command elements as the day progresses. It's a complicated topic and I have not fully rectified.

Thanks for all the coments.

Can you send me screen of the CoM where it should be and where it is pleas?

The CoM is the center of the model, with several MMODEL{} it's the center of all of them.

In my case I just took the positions of some attachment nodes at the ends and calculated the CoM manually, then added some fudge to make it more "natural" (lean towards heavier parts).

Hopefully UbioZur can implement it in such a way that it takes the final positions of all parts, grabs the CoM + mass + CoMOffset (multiplied by rotation vector of course) and then work out the average which would be the correct CoMOffset. For awesome points all part positions should then be offset by this value so that the camera also sticks to the CoM.

I need to have a look at the CoM offset.

Also guys, I am having a really bad internet connection here (strangely I am in Japan and internet is bad), so I can't get .23 to recompile the mod for it.

I'll do it ASAP, They are trying to fixing internet at the moment.

In the last Weld It mod - I am 99% sure it would zero the COM. In this version, COM of all elements is retained. I believe you said somewhere "wet" COM is calculated. It's all good. Zeroing out COM could be considered a bug. For the Millennium Falcon it solved a lot of problems.

With this version, I merely add weight to one side, until I get the COM in the middle (left to right) before welding. I have tested all this tonight, and I am right. I got the welded part balanced fine!

===========================================

The torque wheels need electricity and I never really flew much with SAS off - but I can check if you want.

This is how many parts I compiled into one :sticktongue: :

0o8g.png

Falcon under wide open throttle accelerating straight up causing re-entry and supersonic efx.

v8hy.png

The reason for posting this is to demonstrate that the COM is indeed centered now (left to right) as the SAS is holding heading (left / right) whereas on an earlier flight, before I figured out to add weights, the SAS could not hold heading, and at that time the engines were much weaker!

Edited by Guest

Thanks UbioZur! I've PMd you with links to Pastebin.

While looking through the files I noticed a couple things:

1) There were a lot of exceptions posted in KSP.log regarding the parts not linking to a mesh. It looks like possibly there's a syntax problem with building the part links. The references use forward slashes except for the final bit before the mesh name, where it becomes a backslash. E.g.

[WRN 12:39:05.793] WARNING [WeldingTool] .!Mesh value does not link to a mesh file /Users/Marion/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/Squad/Parts/Aero/standardNoseCone\model.mu

Then there are a lot of NullReferenceExceptions in the log.

2) In the part.cfg itself the nodes do not seem to specify a mesh, e.g.

MODEL
{
model = Squad/Parts/Aero/noseConeAdapter/mu
position = 0,3.295468,0
scale = 1.25,1.25,1.25
rotation = 0,0,0
}

3) Also, the attachRules seem to have a couple extra points to them, e.g.

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0,0,0

...but maybe this is something that has changed as KSP has evolved? (In most parts I see

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

I don't know if any of these observations are relevant, but whether or not they are I hope that they help track down the problem!

Thanks again!

I am in node hell trying to put a welded part inside another welded part. I know you're swamped Uboizur but I am making a request anyway ha ha! It would be great if there were some way that would be easy for you to program, where when the part is generated, different classes of nodes could be chosen to have nodes or not. Anything at all that might give the user some control over what nodes are generated. Perhaps, in the part generation dialog, there might be a list of KSP parts used in the welded part, and a button selector box next to each, allowing the user to turn on/off nodes for those parts, when the new part is generated. That would be so sweet.

Edited by Guest

Does the mod work with .23? It's not working for me.

That look awesome man!

I can have a look for magic smoke industries, what is not working exactly?

Nothing is working, you can't use the action groups or move anything. The welded part doesn't recognize the parts. And I don't think it's easy to get it working.

wRi9lfQh.png

Here is the imgur link for the album.

How the hell did you manage to make THAT fly straight?

When i add a single antenna on only one side of my crafts it suddenly starts spinning very slightly to one direction.

Is there some trick i do not know?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.