Falcon 9 v 1.1 and Dragonrider

Hey, this is my first post here. Hello Kerbin! Happy Fourth of July for those in the United States! :) Here is a stock copy of SpaceX's Falcon 9 v1.1 launcher with a Dragonrider spacecraft on top. I only used stock parts, though I modified my command pods to use MechJeb. The hotkeys to run it are:

Backspace: Abort! (Turns off all rocket engines, detaches Dragon capsule, activates escape rocket engines.)

1. Open/close docking port & solar panels. For use after achieving orbit.

2. Decouple Dragon trunk. You should do this before re-entering the atmosphere to land.

3. Decouple docking port. For use when attached to another craft or space-station.

I attached two parachutes, but they are not needed. You can delete them if you wish. The capsule has enough fuel for a propulsive landing (as the real Dragonrider is rumored). The rocket can launch a Dragonrider to a 100 km orbit around Kerbin. Here are some screenshots:

Launch!

g2r.png

Second Stage!

nc2a.png

Dragonrider decoupled! The second stage should have enough fuel left to deorbit for disposal. Be careful not to hit the Dragonrider!

9l5.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Off we go!

2nap.png

Trunk. The trunk was attached with a docking port, and it still functions as a satellite if you leave it in orbit. Theoretically, you can reuse it to power something else.

duef.png

Deorbit burn. All the fuel tanks and RCS tanks are hidden inside the capsule with clipping. Unfortunately, that means it can't be refueled.

swz.png

Propulsive landing

7u6v.png

Hi Bill!

gsde.png

Here is the craft file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4yoelzch5olqjkq/Dragonrider%20Falcon%209_1.craft

How do you think I can improve it? I had a hard time figuring out how to connect the Dragon to the second stage. The panels make it hard.

Edited by Quantum Jim
Added craft file. Updated name.

You do know you can select fuel tanks that are inside, right?

No I didn't know. I'm still new to ksp and I'm having fun learning all of the little tricks.

Technically its the falcon 9 v 1.1 but whatever.

Thanks, I'll update the name.

Good craft! but i must inform you that SaceX only uses the original Falcon 9 for the dragon craft and the 1.1 for other payloads. but if you want some inspiration, i've also build a Facon 9 i must note that the 2nd stage isn't the best i made but if it can help you here is the link to the forum post of the space craft:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/33124-Falcon-9

Awesome craft, especially since you say you're new to KSP.

Thanks. Ya, I first downloaded KSP a while back, but I haven't had much time to muck around with it until the last month, when I got hooked. :-p

What do you think about this craft? :https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B38W8VcNSrTMMmk3UW10VERXdVE/edit?usp=sharing

full stock capable of getting to the mun using the v1.0 layout with the size of the v1.1

I wanna see!!!!! However,Downloading that craft file failed. That's the second file I couldn't download. :-( Google docs isn't working for me (and I'm using Chrome... weird).

I wanna see!!!!! However,Downloading that craft file failed. That's the second file I couldn't download. :-( Google docs isn't working for me (and I'm using Chrome... weird).

no problem here downloading it.

try this link then:https://www.idrivesync.com/share/view?k=oj1tRBExUcleTg3KSomoeUqOhEDyr8Zn

Edited by MK3424

What do you think about this craft? :https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B38W8VcNSrTMMmk3UW10VERXdVE/edit?usp=sharing

full stock capable of getting to the mun using the v1.0 layout with the size of the v1.1

Finally downloaded and tried it out (maybe it was my connection at home, I'm at a coffee shop for lunch). You weren't kidding! It has a slow lift-off but it definitely got the ship to the Mun (and 14 km/s of dV left after orbiting it)! Very cool.

Finally downloaded and tried it out (maybe it was my connection at home, I'm at a coffee shop for lunch). You weren't kidding! It has a slow lift-off but it definitely got the ship to the Mun (and 14 km/s of dV left after orbiting it)! Very cool.

I was surprised too! that it performed so well it became one of my default launchers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.