Docking on the ground (again I think)

Very frustrated at the moment since I was REALLY pleased at getting two landers to land next to each other for the first time (only 4km away)

They are slightly different, but have exactly the same bases and wheels. One makes fiel and one will provide lots of intake air for it.

This shows the two landers: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157932970

This one is more zoomed in to show the docking ports joined (or not): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157933016

I've tried for over an hour to get them to join. I've had them perfectly aligned a few times - the two vehicles want to move together but wont complete the join.

Maybe one is VERY slightly heavier, but I've tried using the booster on slightly to raise the port so it is steady and level, still no luck.

Much ramming, forwards / backwards, aaargh!

I found a lazor mod to assist docking, but that's no good because I need to attach a piece, which can't be done since the crafts are already on Duna.

I use the Quantum Strut mod which really helps keeping docked vehicles together too, but since they aren't docking, the struts aren't firing at the adjacent vehicle to connect it.

Can this be rescued or can these two vehicles never be joined?

Because of the different gravity on Duna, something that has been tested to work on Kerbin may not line up correctly on Duna. Try using physical timewarp to help "adjust" the height of the craft until you get it to dock (may destroy the crafts).

KAS, kerbal attachment system let you you have an kerbal draw an cable docking the two vehicles.

Its very nice for all sort of dock to share resources or refuel scenarios.

Its also pretty realistic as you usual connect vehicles with cables and hoses in real life and only dock with hard points if you want them to move them think farming machinery.

You might have broken docking ports. You need to check their description in the persistence file. If the ports in question have a "state=acquiring" line then you need to change it to "state=ready". Those ports look like they should be lined up, though it is true that there might be some slight misalignment between them.

Hm somehow I just managed it. I tried getting it into position and reloading each time, this time when it loaded they instantly docked!

I also tried changing the persistence file to state=docked (dockee) and state=docked (docker) for those two parts, but that didn't seem to work. Maybe I had to change it in the autosave file also?

Funny, even with all those air intakes, it's still not enough to stop it running out, although fuel production is much faster (using parts from the HOME mod).

Yeah. I do agree the should have docked sooner. Most likely it was that you where very very slightly off angle from docking. AS I know that the other wheels if they are not the same mass they will have trouble docking too. Which was the reason why they used landing gears to dock

If I recall correctly, Duna's atmosphere does not support intake air resource. In other words, air intakes don't work in Duna's atmosphere.

I seem to remember that they do, but only just.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.