What's your favourite "old" game?

joppiesaus

_-Lego-Rock-Raiders-PC-_.jpg

I remember having tons of fun with this one.

...I should mine more kethane...

Yes, Lego Rock Raiders!

My favorite is

Voyager-Elite-Force-Hazard-Team-star-trek-voyager-3982827-1152-864.jpg

Always liked Star Trek.

Edited by tobjv
My favorite game

First PC game I ever bought, I played demo games from magazine coverdisks before this (floppies), and 8 and 16bit consoles/computers before that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzHcX5I_kFs

Managed to break my PC by putting C:\Frontier\frontier.exe in the autoexec.bat....

Holy mother that looks old.

Yet,

It looks like a very fun game.

Holy mother that looks old.

Yet,

It looks like a very fun game.

It had the whole milkyway (millions and millions of planetary systems - of course, at the time, all exo-planets where hypothetical - none was found back then IRL, yet) on a 880KByte disc (Amiga version). It had seamless landing and procedural planet surfaces (on a 16-bit machine, running at 7.16 Mhz - Amiga, again). It had newtonian physics, with planets actually rotaing around their parent star. What can i say? It still is the godfather of all space-games, and playing KSP often reminds of it (like when switching SOIs - it was just the same in Elite II/III). Looking at Elite II/III these days feels like cyberpunk: like looking at a fully functional computer with typewriter keyboard in a wodden case, powered by an attached coal-power plant or something - like a joint-venture by da Vinci and Jules Verne. After two decades, it is still impressive and still unique.

Edited by Mr. Scruffy

Inspired by this thread I fired up a BBC emulator and played Castle Quest and Starship Command :)

castle-quest1.gif

1738129-starship_command_gameplay_2.jpg

Those who mentioned being fans of Elite/Frontier, suggest you try the Archimedes version (via emulator) it's superb.

Arcelite_through_vipers.jpg

Some of these old games are still really playable, they could sell well as modern smartphone apps!

First game i ever played was Wolfenstein 3D.when i was a kid sometime back in 90´s. then I played Dune 2000, Fallout 2 and Warcraft 2. All on my friends computer he was only kid with PC in our 10 000 people town then. Later when i finished high school in 2004 and got my first employement (as an gas valves designer) i bought my first own computer, and tried to play all those games i missed. So i played X-wing, Tie figter, Lost wikings, Spear of destiny, Doom, Dukenukem, But first game that i actuly liked was Fallout tactics, So Fallout Tactics would be my favorite old game.

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. An RTS for the PC, taking place in a galaxy far, far away.

star-wars-galactic-battlegrounds-2.jpg

Ah, the nostalgia. Wish I could still play the game, but sadly it won't work on Windows 7 and up. ;.;

Isn't that just a reskinned AOEII?

I love Doom I and II.

I love this game still to this day, I still play it from time to time thanks to Dosbox. I have always hoped they would remake this game in some fashion. The closest I have seen is Age of Wonder which is a good game in itself, but I never felt it lived up the same potential as Master of Magic

There was a kickstarter a few months ago for a true MoM remake. They were funded and it seems like they are commited to making a game that will have the same feel and depth as the original MoM:

http://myworldsofmagic.com/

Man, it's a bit strange to think of Super Mario 64 and Halo as old games now. But I guess they are, huh. If we are to classify games from that period as being old, then I would say that Final Fantasy VIII is my favourite game. Great story and gameplay, awesome music, and beautiful graphics for its time. (I'm surprised no one has mentioned any of the Final Fantasy games yet!)

Otherwise, my favourite old game (or at least the one I've played the most) has to be Super Mario Bros 3. I've played it more or less regularly (that is, at least a couple of times per year) for the past 21 years.

Edited by lunait

Eisenbahn.exe European Class. I played that game for maybe 2 years nonstop when I was in primary school.

For those 100% of you who don't know the series, it's a model railway "simulation" game (it really doesn't simulate anything but basic train physics... yes only trains. Later games officially had other kinds of vehicle as well, but they all worked like a train). You could place all tracks and buildings yourself and move trains, which I just loved back then.

Later I got a newer game from the series, which I played for like 2 years as well, but eventually left because it was a DLC hell, whenever you needed some model you didn't already have in your collection (which was 95% in the "misc" category and editing the list was a pain I never really tried), you could either make it yourself with their custom 3d modeling program (which sucks and is nothing like normal 3d modeling) or download it from the internet, where 95% was in their webstore for >2€... and modding was illegal, you needed a contract with the publisher to publish models.

I tried getting back into these games, but I cannot play them anymore ;(

After I left Eisenbahn.exe I started playing Emergency 4, which I am still modding today... In fact I'm starting to reverse engineer it. That game is older than 6 years as well, and they just announced Emergency 5 this year (after releasing a bad mainstream-oriented spinoff and an addon to that in the last 2 years).

Oh, just noticed what I said about Eisenbahn.exe and physics isn't entirely true... later games had a hilariously bad cargo system, which bugged out about every time you used it.

You know, after some thought, I think the REAL winner of my favorite old game is Zoo Tyccon.

8.jpg

THE NOSTALGIA CANNOT BE MATCHED. Seriously, this game is how I remember spending a good chunk of my childhood. I cracked the game disc, but I did see it still on sale at a Staples. Another one of those games that won't run on Windows 7, sadly, but I might just try to get it to work on Vista...

One I'm surprsied hasn't been mentioned:

Jagged_alliance_2_boxart.jpg

Jagged_Alliance_2_Gold_TacticalScreen_Screenshot.png

Jagged Alliance 2, IMO one of the best tactical/strategy games ever made, I still play it (with some big mods) today.

Honourable mentions to:

SW: Knights Of The Old Republic series

The Elder Scrolls series

Civilization Series

Silent Hunter series

Rome: Total War

Edited by CheftonUTD

... Castle of the Winds...

I remember spending so many hours playing the shareware version of that game...

Plus the Exile series by Spiderweb Software, Space empires II from Malfador Machinations. All shareware of course, off a cd, with no internet anywhere in sight.

For all of those old games that don't run on windows 7 and up you should check and see if they run on wine under linux, you may be surprised.

You know, after some thought, I think the REAL winner of my favorite old game is Zoo Tyccon.

8.jpg

THE NOSTALGIA CANNOT BE MATCHED. Seriously, this game is how I remember spending a good chunk of my childhood. I cracked the game disc, but I did see it still on sale at a Staples. Another one of those games that won't run on Windows 7, sadly, but I might just try to get it to work on Vista...

Actually, it works fine on Windows 7. At least, mine does.

8.jpg

Have you tried this:

right click the .exe --> properties --> compatibility --> visual themes disabled, desktopstructure disabled, compatibilitymode on some old stuff. Most games fix it for me(RCT, simpsons H&R, age of empires)

Also... this thread has become big! :)

~SNIP~

Those old games with the isometric graphics will always hold a place in my heart. I can only draw good in isometric because of them. Having to work at perfect 90 degree angles and looking at them from the corner was one of the most productive challenges* that I've ever encountered in games.

*= Challenges that make the game harder for the better are what I call productive challenges. Such challenges make you be more creative with how you use resources, space, etc. and make you come up with better or less repetitive ways to do something. Challenging yourself to build a 5*5 house in Minecraft with the same elements and features as a 10*10 house would be an example of one.

ZX Spectrum:

Manic Miner

Jet Set Willy 2

Arkanoid

Rainbow Islands

All of the Dizzy games... and most anything else that the Oliver twins made for Codemasters that had the words 'Advanced' and 'Sim' in the title.

Commodore Amiga:

Frontier

Secret of Monkey Island 1 & 2

Eye of the Beholder 2

Syndicate

SNES:

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Mario Kart

Secret of Mana

Street Fighter 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.