How much do Kerbals weigh?

Since the implementation of seats, and if you had a little probe with a seat on it, with a kerbal on it, it would go out of control.

So I dug around persistence files and found out how much the little green men weigh.

name = kerbalEVA
mass = 0.09375

In other words, they are 93.7 kilograms. Who would have thought that kerbals weigh this much?

So to balance out probes with seats, put a weight of .09 mass units on the opposite side.

P.S. I want someone to make a weights mod :wink:

Yeah, I had to find this out the hard way after placing a group of seats on an SSTO. I sat wondering why the heck it got into orbit fine with empty seats, but failed miserably when occupied. The funny thing is, You can put a couple seats on a normal rocket, move Kerbals from the Command Pod to the seats and watch the craft's total mass increase. :)

• 1 month later...

So how does this work with pods? Is the mass of a pod fixed, no matter how many kerbals are in it? What about hitchhikers?

I've got to design some escape-capable habitation modules (hitchhiker, lander can & seperatrons) for my space station, and was going to test one empty to prove the design before sending kerbals up to the station. Will this be a valid test of a module with five kerbals on board?

Edited by Seret

I had read a figure you are discussing, somewhere online (about 90 kg). I was under the impression that the value was for an "ordinary" Kerbal. So I arbitrarily guessed that a Kerbalnaut with a suit and EVA pack would mass at about double that, as a maximum, so I have been using a figure of 180 kg for that. It now appears to me that an EVA Kerbal masses at about 94 kg.

Is any of that mass monopropellant for the thruster pack?

I had read a figure you are discussing, somewhere online (about 90 kg). I was under the impression that the value was for an "ordinary" Kerbal. So I arbitrarily guessed that a Kerbalnaut with a suit and EVA pack would mass at about double that, as a maximum, so I have been using a figure of 180 kg for that. It now appears to me that an EVA Kerbal masses at about 94 kg.

Is any of that mass monopropellant for the thruster pack?

The 90 kg is with the suit and eva pack, have you seen many kerbals without them? do not think the monoprop has mass.

I read that they weighted 38 kg, so I used and extra octo2 core as test weight, has honestly need seen any difference between the test with 40 kg weight and kerbal on real tests like Duna landing and takeoff with 0.8 ton 2800 m/s dV lander.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.